Resource Ghost Frogs and other strangeness - creatures for 1E AD&D

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Jerry_B

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
My blog is pretty much dedicated to new 1E AD&D creatures, which I write up and illustrate in the style of the Monster Manual. The overall idea behind them is to create creatures and monsters that are a bit different, play around with tropes a bit, and (with any luck) keep the players guessing. Thus far I've either made one-offs or focused on a series based around certain concepts: edible monsters, chitinous dragons, jellies, fungi, and some others. All in all I've created almost 50 creatures, and at some point will hopefully bundle them into a free PDF of some sorts.

If this is useful, please let me know. I'll add to this thread every time I come up with a new beastie. This week's creature is the Ghost Frog. You can read all about it here.

GhostFrog-01.jpg

A random bit on internet coincidence. I suspect this was your inspiration...

1687804696696.png

Yep! I think I saw it on Twitter somewhere and thought 'Aha! That gives me an idea...!' Sometimes I get ideas from the real world, other times something just randomly pops into my head, either as a picture or as a concept.

Yep! I think I saw it on Twitter somewhere and thought 'Aha! That gives me an idea...!' Sometimes I get ideas from the real world, other times something just randomly pops into my head, either as a picture or as a concept.
Inspiration comes from all manner of places. It's a really evocative picture and you did something cool with it. :thumbsup:

He looks like he's about to chop a big obsidian block in half in order to become Emperor.

Bad ass! Love the art and can't wait to see more. I'm stocking a huge hexcrawl and need lots of OSR compatible monsters.

There are lots more on show over at my blog. When I get to 50 creatures I may bundle them into some sort of free PDF.

There are lots more on show over at my blog. When I get to 50 creatures I may bundle them into some sort of free PDF.
If you were going to put them up on DTRPG or the like, which, why not, have you thought about laying things out to support PoD options (in terms of page count).

I think I was going to put it on Itch rather than DTRPG. Making stuff for POD seems to need a lot of tweaking to things to get it ready for print.

Here's another creature from my blog, which I updated today. This is a Golden Shrieker, which was inspired by illustrations from medieval manuscripts. You can read about it here.

Shrieker-01s.jpg

After a bit of a hiatus, I've brought my blog back to life. This week's post is about the Scroll Dragon.

View attachment 81716
Yes! I've been eagerly awaiting an update. I used Ghost Frogs as a substitute for the standard Giant Frogs and the Crocodile in my Stars Without Number conversion of *Against the Cult of the Reptile God* and the players were literally so terrified they resorted to using explosives that caused part of the second floor of the cult's lair to cave in. The scroll dragon is just what I needed for a good mystery as to why the local Mages Guild's archmage seems to age particularly slowly!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back