Sci-fi game resources.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Telok

Proper eggnog is one third rum.
Reaction score
This thread is for collecting science fiction gaming resources. The only thing I'd ask is maybe to mention a guesstimate of where on the Mohs scale of science fiction hardness a resource falls.

As a general resource Atomic Rockets at projectrho.com is geared towards harder end sci-fi writers and has a wealth of stuff on world building, realistic spaceships, effects of different physics, and of course relavistic weaponry. Hardness covers the upper end of the scale, 4-6.

I promised someone somewhere some spaceship maps. These are in the 2-4 hardness range, being mostly stuck together bits of RL warships and some Traveller geomorphs.
Giant luxury liner.
Heavy cruiser.
Cruiser.
Destroyer.
First one I made this way.

Mosr stuff as I get time and if I get to be on my real computer this week.

Ha, got some time on my real computer. Adding more stuff

Deviant art tagged 'deckplans' -- hardness is low, 1-2 mostly

Random 3d (exterior only) spaceship generator for Blender -- hardness is low, it's a guided 3d shape randomizer

U.S. Library of Congress ship deck plans (this one is for the outboard & inboard profile of the USS MISSOURI but you can get to more from links/search)

Other WWII ship deck plans and stuff

Traveller stuff, hardness can vary from 2-4

Traveller Wiki

Traveller worldgen site

THE Traveller star map

Traveller geomorphs & alternate link -> seriously, these things are awesome for ship/space station mapping

Horrid, no formatting, but sticking this here. Its a list of the wikis & sources of sci-fi / fantasy planets & places that I have found useful. Followed by a "still haven't gotten to these" chunk.

Note: the wh40k wikis & such I've found are terrible for descriptions of planets, stations, etc. Also, star trek stuff is generally junk with the exception of ds9 because they don't care about or describe any places in any detail (and even ds9 is 90% useless).

'To steal from one source is plagiarism, to steal from many is research...’
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

"Encyclopaedia: Dagudashaag"
Free pdf of a Traveller sector, much detail, 300 pages.

All the Spelljammer wikis, the Dr. Who wiki, Wookiepedia, Battle Star Galactica wiki, Renegade Legion wiki, Sarna.net, Mass Effect wiki, all the Traveller wikis, Lexx wiki, Deadspace wik, Strolen.com, Andromeda.fandom.com

Dandriss: forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/age-of-strife.12032/

Massive kudos to RPG.NET and the threads:
warhammer-40k-lets-create-a-sector
excuse-me-sir-do-you-have-a-planet-to-spare
necro-101-interesting-planets-space-stations
create-a-playable-setting-slightly-retro-space-opera-challenge

UNTRIED SOURCES START HERE

Dune wiki
Hitchikers guide wiki
Alien wiki
Farscape wiki
Stargate wiki
Aeon flux wiki
Buck rogers wiki
Lost in space wiki
Zenon trilogy
halo videogame universe
Space Battleship Yamato
toward the terra
space adventure cobra
Tenchi Muyo!
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Rifts phase world/megaverse
Starcraft vifeogame
Star cuitizen videogame
Stellaris (video game)
No Man's Sky videogame
Starcraft universe videogame

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, original novel by Yoshiki Tanaka

Horrid, no formatting, but sticking this here. Its a list of the wikis & sources of sci-fi / fantasy planets & places that I have found useful. Followed by a "still haven't gotten to these" chunk.

Note: the wh40k wikis & such I've found are terrible for descriptions of planets, stations, etc. Also, star trek stuff is generally junk with the exception of ds9 because they don't care about or describe any places in any detail (and even ds9 is 90% useless).

'To steal from one source is plagiarism, to steal from many is research...’
Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

"Encyclopaedia: Dagudashaag"
Free pdf of a Traveller sector, much detail, 300 pages.

All the Spelljammer wikis, the Dr. Who wiki, Wookiepedia, Battle Star Galactica wiki, Renegade Legion wiki, Sarna.net, Mass Effect wiki, all the Traveller wikis, Lexx wiki, Deadspace wik, Strolen.com, Andromeda.fandom.com

Dandriss: forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/age-of-strife.12032/

Massive kudos to RPG.NET and the threads:
warhammer-40k-lets-create-a-sector
excuse-me-sir-do-you-have-a-planet-to-spare
necro-101-interesting-planets-space-stations
create-a-playable-setting-slightly-retro-space-opera-challenge

UNTRIED SOURCES START HERE

Dune wiki
Hitchikers guide wiki
Alien wiki
Farscape wiki
Stargate wiki
Aeon flux wiki
Buck rogers wiki
Lost in space wiki
Zenon trilogy
halo videogame universe
Space Battleship Yamato
toward the terra
space adventure cobra
Tenchi Muyo!
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Rifts phase world/megaverse
Starcraft vifeogame
Star cuitizen videogame
Stellaris (video game)
No Man's Sky videogame
Starcraft universe videogame

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, original novel by Yoshiki Tanaka
Are these supposed to be links?

Are these supposed to be links?
Nah. I figure people looking for resources can do basic web searches.. I do need to go through and note how useful they are for place/setting bits though.

It doesn't want to let me edit post before last, so an update on the wikis & sites. Do note that I've rated them on world building content that exists in a format you can easily find & use. Star Trek has a ton of "lore" and 4 different wikis I checked, but info on planets, stations, governments, & corporations that's useful for worldbuilding is almost nonexistant and hard to find.

Spelljammer wikis & sites, hardness: zero, content: 2 fucktons

Dr. Who wiki, hardness: very low, content: very low

Wookiepedia, hardness: low, content: many many fucktons

Battle Star Galactica wiki, hardness: low-medium, content: low

Renegade Legion wiki, hardness: medium, content: moderate

Sarna.net (Battletech), hardness medium-low, content medium (more politics & corps than planets & places)

Mass Effect wiki, hardness: low-medium, content: half a fuckton

Traveller wikis & sites, hardness: medium, content 3 fucktons plus more random generators than you can shake a stick at

Lexx wiki, hardness: limbo master low, content: kinda low

Deadspace wik, hardness: medium, content: half a fuckton

Strolen.com, its a creative writing bits site with a decently useful selection. Hardness is all over the place and content varies by what you want.

Andromeda.fandom.com: hardness: medium-low, content; low-moderate

Dune wiki: dune.fandom.com/wiki/Category:tongue:lanets
Hardness: medium, content: 166

Hitchikers guide wiki: hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Category:tongue:lanets
Hardness: low, content: 59

Alien wiki: avp.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Locations
Hardness medium-high, content: 250+ in subcategories

Farscape wiki: farscape.fandom.com/wiki/Category:tongue:lanets
Hardness: low, content: about 75?

Stargate wiki: stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Category:tongue:lanets
Hardness: low-medium, content: a lot? All buried in subcategories & subsubcats

Lost in space wiki: lostinspace.fandom.com/wiki/Category:tongue:lanets
Hardness: low-medium, content: 11, extremely low

halo videogame universe: www.halopedia.org/Category:Locations
Hardness: medium, content: a lot, buried in a multiplicity of subcategories

Space Battleship Yamato: yamato.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Celestial_Bodies
Hardness: medium-low, content: 63

Tenchi Muyo! : tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Locations
Hardness: low, content: about 30

Rifts phase world/megaverse - basically nothing, villains.fandom.com/wiki/Coalition_States
Hardness: low, content: extremely low

Starcraft videogame: starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Category:tongue:laces
Harfness: low-medium, content: 300+

Star citizen videogame: starcitizen.fandom.com/wiki/Category:tongue:lanets
Hardness: low-medium, content: 350+

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: legendofthegalacticheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Locations
Hardness: low, content: scant

Misc notes:
1. Fandom.com has taken over a lot of wikis, uses some clunky javascript, and has a ton of intrusive ads. If you don't need search & category function you can turn off javascript for them and you should have as much ad blocking as you can handle.

Having gone through some: Dune and Hitchiker are about equally useful, just different in theme, got 8 entries from each for my worldbuild. AvP is surprisingly useful, especially of you want stuff along the lines of "they came, they settled, someone got greedy, thry all died horrible deaths, nuke the place and don't look back". Its seriously more actual grimdark than anything wh40k I've ever read, ever.

The inability to edit older posts is harshing up the groove. The Farscape, Stargaye, and Lost in Space wikis are all useless. Don't bother. Yamato & Tenchi have a half dozen bits each I could use for worldbuilding. StarCitizen is actually not terrible, planets are thin but there's a multi sortable list of all non-planet locations.

Never stuck my nose into this end of the pub before. I like what you're doing here.

Etranger: The Military in 2300AD has a large number of nice pictures of medium-hard SF ship designs. It's spin habs and FTL so unobtrusive you could use the designs as solarpunk cruisers, but still mostly no allowance for heat dissipation.

There is an old videogame called Nexus: the Jupiter Incident that I played the hell out of back in the day. There are some very nice medium-hard-SF ship designs in the early missions before it goes full (and more generic) space opera.

There are a number of hard-SF ship designs for Attack Vector: Tactical, intended as wargame references.

Alastair Reynolds has collected a bunch of references for his Revelation Space universe on his blog - timeline, glossary and starmap, as well as some fan art.

Ah, AV:T, the game I'll likely never get to play no matter how much I love it. <sigh>

Welp here's a piece of junk for ya: a random generator html file
It's really simple html and a bit of hacky jank javascript, bit there's a pile of random generators in it. They're set for Dungeons the Dragoning 40k 7e by default, but you can crack it open in any text editor (notepad++ is a good one) and do global find/replace on the stuff you don't want. See a tool/species/monster you don't like? Find/replace, no coding needed.

It also (ugly and rough) implements the TSR era Indiana Jones RPG dungeon generation tables.

Oh, uh, sci-fi hardness scale... smooshy. Practically a liquid with some fantasy chunks mixed in... Tapioca? Yeah, tapioca. Ok, personal headcannnon time: tapioca is a hardness measurement for anything "practically a liquid with some other chunks mixed in".

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back