Character Widget Terminology

Discussion in 'Design and Development' started by FaerieGodfather, Feb 5, 2018.

1. FaerieGodfather

FaerieGodfather Shroompunk Warlord

I am designing a thing which started off as a near-retroclone-- bolt Player's Option mechanics onto a BECMI or d20 frame-- and which has slowly drifted further and further away from the design goal of 99% D&D compatibility. (This is the same system I am thinking of applying to Galactic Dragons and Shroompunk.)

One of my core mechanics for the intended level of PC customization is three tiers of character widget awarded every X levels.

Proficiencies are... well, proficiencies. Weapon and armor proficiencies, skills, weak 3.X feats. These are awarded every level. Learning spells from your own class spell list would be proficiencies.

Feats are beefier. These are the good 3.X feats or toned-down 5e feats. These are awarded every odd level. Learning "general" spells would be feats, or learning spells from a different specialty within your class. Learning combat styles or martial arts would be feats.

And then there's "options", which roll up all of the subsplats of modern D&D: subraces, subclasses, kits, themes, Prestige Classes, Paragon Paths, and Epic Destinies. Figure you'll either get one or two (one race, one class) every 6th level, but I'm still working out the exact numbers.

Question is, what do I call "options"?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Dumarest

Dumarest ¡Californio y vaquero!

I say go with druthers, but here are some options (ha ha):

option [ op-shuhn ]
    Main Entry: option
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: alternative
    Synonyms: advantage, benefit, choice, claim, dibs, dilemma, discretion, druthers, election, flipside, franchise, free will, grant, license, opportunity, other side of coin, pickup, preference, prerogative, privilege, right, selection, take it or leave it

3. Vincent Takeda

Vincent Takeda Member

I feel like there should be a narrative based game system where those synonyms are things you can put points into. Having a character with a +5 to 'dibs' or 'free will' or 'dilemma' sounds pretty funny.

Dumarest likes this.
  4. FaerieGodfather

FaerieGodfather Shroompunk Warlord

I am currently running with Themes, though someone gave me the helpful feedback that PCs could talk in-character about their Proficiencies or their Feats, but not so much with Themes.

So I'm sticking with Themes until I find something better, and I'm not looking for something better, but I'm still hoping to find something better.

5. Dumarest

How about a metagame where the game is arguing about game terms and what the rules literally state vs. what they are supposed to be saying and how to best abuse the loopholes and poor phrasing.

6. Baulderstone

Baulderstone Legendary Member

When I think of the theme of something, I am thinking on large, abstract scale. Your options seem to opposite of themes to me. Your options are drilling down to the more specific and fiddly. I'd rather see them simply called Options rather than Themes. I think Options pretty much nails it.

I should add, I absolutely hate the term Feat as used in D&D. It doesn't match up with the definition of the word at all. A feat is an impressive achievement your player makes in play, not a mechanical widget. One of the best parts about moving back to earlier editions of D&D was not having my teeth itching from people using the word "feat" incorrectly over and over.

7. Dumarest

All this time I thought a FEAT was a Function of Extraordinary Ability or Talent!

Spinachcat likes this.
  8. Baulderstone

Baulderstone Legendary Member

Why didn't anyone tell me it was an acronym?! I've been irrationally angry over nothing for years!

Spinachcat likes this.
  9. Dumarest

Well, I learned it from Marvel Super Heroes so it may not apply for D&D. D&D has no feats/FEATS in any of the editions I've played.