Custom Miniatures

Discussion in 'Gaming Resources' started by xanther, Jan 9, 2018.

1. xanther

xanther Member

2. TristramEvans

TristramEvans Goosebuster Moderator

I've used them once so far just to test, and was pleased enough with the result I'm planning a bigger order. Unfortunately, the options so far are pretty limited (or I just have weirdly specific tastes)

3. Rich Harkrader

Rich Harkrader Member

One of my players in my LMoP game got a Heroforge mini and it broke in 2 different places within a couple of weeks. It looked great, but the quality of the material was very poor.

4. TristramEvans

Heroforge offers various materials. The cheapest option is the sort of clear plastic that cheap boardgame minis are made from. Metal is much more expensive, but well worth it.

I mean, I say expensive, but I think @$80 for a customized metal miniature is a pretty good price.

5. Rich Harkrader

Rich Harkrader Member

She didn't get the cheapest one. She got the black plastic, which is apparently very brittle, or at least hers was. To their credit, they replaced the mini when told of the problem.

6. TristramEvans

Are you familiar with "Dipping" at all? Will make any plastic mini basically indestructible

7. Rich Harkrader

Rich Harkrader Member

Nope, I've never heard of that. What's that involve?

8. TristramEvans

Well companies such as Army Painter produce tins of "dip" specifically marketed to wargamers, but really its just wood varnish (Miniwax Polyshade is the recommended brand). The technique was "discovered" in the 90s but recently started gaining in popularity. Essentially, a miniature is basecoated, and then "dipped" in the varnish, shaken off, and then left to dry (alternatively, many people brush on the varnish) . The varnish has several effects; it provides a natural shading to the miniature, bringing out details, it replaces the need for sealant to protect the paint, and it also leaves a hardened layer around the mini that, when dry, is nigh-invulnerable to breakage. Its essentially a very fast way to get armies painted up (as it skips numerous steps such as washing, shading, etc) and gives good effects.

Here's a few before and after shots (the main trick is to go very bright with the basecoats, as the dip will dull the colours)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Some people like to throw on a coat of dullcoat afterwards, as the dip effect is a bit glossy as you can see)

You can find numerous online tutorials, I'll link to a few here:

http://c-o-g-s.blogspot.ca/2013/02/painting-and-modeling-using-army.html
    http://grimdarkkitchen.blogspot.ca/2014/08/dip-shading-warhammer-40k-miniatures.html
    https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43744/dip-method-step-step-guide-painting-miniatures

Rich Harkrader likes this.
  9. CRKrueger

CRKrueger Well-Known Member

Shit, Quickshade is just Miniwax Polyshade, you're sure it's exact?

10. TristramEvans

Yeah, just half the price. We were using miniwax years before Army Painter hit the scene.

Just like Primer, its a sucker's bet to buy the stuff sold for miniatures specifically. A Can of Chaos Black Primer Spray from GW? $20. A can of Krylon ultra-matte black primer? $4

Rich Harkrader likes this.