Do you like to use just a core rulebook or core plus more?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Wrong noman. The correct answer is all of them in the limited edition cover!

I'm sorry, but your answer is incorrect!

I don't do physical books at the table. I only own two physical RPG books: Active Exploits Special Edition, and Blue Rose, signed by RPG Pundit himself!

*Opens Blue Rose, puts it to face, and inhales*

Ah, yeah. That's the stuff. Still smells like pipe smoke and outrage.

No, I only do digital. Why? Because I enjoy having some random idiot at the game table demand that I give him a copy of whatever RPG pdf I own that he thinks he's entitled too.

One of my life goals is to have terabytes of RPG material saved on multiple, encrypted drives that are attached to solar-powered drones which fly randomly about the country and are regularly mistaken for UFOs.

But you and I are so close in answer I think we could game together happily.

Maybe. I do tend to eat a lot of tex-mex before every gaming session. :tongue:

I'm sorry, but your answer is incorrect!

I don't do physical books at the table. I only own two physical RPG books: Active Exploits Special Edition, and Blue Rose, signed by RPG Pundit himself!

*Opens Blue Rose, puts it to face, and inhales*

Ah, yeah. That's the stuff. Still smells like pipe smoke and outrage.

No, I only do digital. Why? Because I enjoy having some random idiot at the game table demand that I give him a copy of whatever RPG pdf I own that he thinks he's entitled too.

One of my life goals is to have terabytes of RPG material saved on multiple, encrypted drives that are attached to solar-powered drones which fly randomly about the country and are regularly mistaken for UFOs.

Maybe. I do tend to eat a lot of tex-mex before every gaming session. :tongue:
I have no sense of smell. Chemical accident.
Again you are wrong. The correct answer is PDF and limited edition signed book. Why must you continually half ass everything?

I got my start on White Wolf games in the early 2000s. I also played D&D 3.x for nearly a decade.

I bought into Torg Eternity and 7th Sea 2e on the strength of the pitches alone.

I want the core book to be enough to run the game, but I also want splats.

I'm an incredibly derivative gamer. I need lots of material to draw from :grin:

I am perfectly fine running extra modifying splats to my core. But I first need to diagnostic the system RAW. Next I need to diagnostic the players for their habits. Then I have to "curate" (sigh, hipster...) the splats options available to be coherent with my setting and what my players can maturely handle (age ain't nothin' but a number). Finally I can turn the options on -- only to have to remember they are on.

I can do it. And I vastly prefer this method over editing out crap I never wanted from a corebook. But it is work. So it does have less return on average.

However I will gladly take splat over a comprehensive core EVERYDAY. Those 600+ page books, and bajillion widgets... too much front-loaded effort. And all that to just turn on the game to see if I even give a shit about the core system. Nah, I'd rather pass and wait for a pared down packaged suite.

I prefer the Excluded Middle.

Pathfinder (and back in the day, D&D 3e) got to the point that I really couldn't care to buy another source book.

But good games I used to play by small publishers or short lifetimes fell by the wayside because I always felt they needed something more (looking at you, Fantasy Craft).

I prefer just enough supplements to cover a majority of anything I would want to run, but don't want to have to feel like I need to pick up the next book because it will make the PCs competitive.

I actively avoid games that want to sell me more than one book. Personally I think most games are too long already and the last thing I want is additional rules. I feel like any rule that was necessary should have been in the original rulebook. Plus the term "core book" makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time I read it.

(I count the contents of a boxed set as "one book.")

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back