Free Newspaper Story Creator

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Oh, cool!

effc0e0d48734da0bf05580614da263d.0.jpg

You have a WW2 Scion game going on? Fuck, that’s awesome. I wanna hear more about it.

Had. We did it twice actually. First time, we used scion and learned the warts of it. Second time we used Marvel Heroic because it was easy.

We started with recovering the shield of Joan of Arc from a Nazi castle via the Dieppe Raid (we got through). Landing at the raid involved the scion of John Bull leaping between boats with his pet bulldog Winston, and punching people with his fists called Tea and Crumpets. Our scion of Robin Hood and local min maxer showed how broken the system was when he proceeded to dodge the gunfire of like 30 guys, then dominate them. Our scion of Uncle Sam leads men into battle and finds a platoon that is made of sterner stuff, and they become his worshippers.

we tracked the shield to the Nazi castle. We broke into the castle by having the Scion of Uncle Sam (USA Uncle Sam) impersonate hitler, the scion of Odin (me) pretend to be Joseph goebbels, and someone, maybe the scion of Shiva, play the part of Himmler. We discovered they were turning POWs into jotun. We were not happy about that, so we (I mean me, and I convinced them) to rescue all 500 POWs and bring them back to england, because fuck small, you are a goddamn child of a god, you do big. So we shoved an axis Italian scientist into the stomach of a jotun because he was a dick, stole many vehicles, gun fight with .50 cals, and broke out of the castle with the prisoners in trucks. We, of course, stole one of those ridiculous long convertible German officer cars, because style is important.

On the way out, we met the actual leader of the castle, a powerful scion, and made a deal that he could leave unharmed. I convinced the scion of shiva to rig up his escape motorcycle to explode as he left, then avoided swearing to let him go unmolested. My character is a right bastard. He drove off and the motorcycoe exploded just over a hill, dramatically at the end of a session. Most of the group was shocked by this because we did it on the sky with the GMs help and they didn’t expect either of us to be so cold. Fuck nazis.

We drove across Europe to Amsterdam, fighting an axis scion ninja and a giant robotic boar along the way. In Amsterdam, we snuck through the sewers and stole a troop transport after having a brief confrontation with a Nazi ship that oozed evil... only the scion of Uncle Sam could even get close to plant charges on it for the distraction. Get the prisoners on a transport, set sail, and boom, blow up the super evil ship. The chase is on.

Only it wasn’t the ONLY evil ship. We are doing the best we can, heading across the channel, trying to get to friendly waters, and another evil ass ship chases after us. They fire on us, things look bad. The scion of John Bull blocks the artillery shells with the shield of Joan of Arc, keeping us up. We jump ship and go and assault the evil ass ship, because we got no weapons but our fists and small arms.

So, we head over. Nazis all over, and I sneak down into the hold to plant charges. Only I discover why the ship is so evil. It’s being powered by people. Literally sucking their souls out to power this thing, leaving them as zombies. So I am in a goddamn zombie apocalypse in the bowels of a Nazi ship and I am not a fighter. I’m a smooth talking mother fucker who gets others to do his dirty work. But I am tough as shit. I took a tank shell in the face. So I am running and surviving and planting charges. I yell on the way up to get the fuck off and we jump. We signal to get picked up and get on the ship. The ship has had enough of our shit and TRANSFORMS INTO A FUCKING GIANT ROBOT STANDING IN THE ENGLISH CHANNEL. Then we blow it up. Because style is important.

Second one, we had a slight change of cast. We got a scion of the Red Baron who flew in a steam punk iron man suit.

We started off this one trying to get escaped nazis back into prison and ended up with a chase scene right st the beginning. They got ahold of an experimental bomber and took off, back to Europe. So we took off after them. We needed to get them out of the sky, but we didn’t have any guns. We should pick better vehicles. So we landed the plane on the other plane, and my character, who now had some magic, chained them together in the sky with magic bullshit while the rest of the group fought on the inside of the plane. We are plummeting now over the channel but we get them back! Only the villain escapes. Stupid villain.

So we gotta go get him. We get on this giant French sub I forget the name of and sail towards Morocco because we are going to negotiate with the free French to be more punching the fucking nazis because it is literally the best thing. Only we get assaulted by a Nazi ship on the way in. So I am making the magic bullshit and Ironman is bursting out of the water and Robin Hood decides that he can split the arrow with an artillery cannon, if the arrow is a German ship and we take that damn ship.

So then we use it for a ruse and sneak into the port in Morocco (forget the name) and find that the free French commander is being manipulated by Herr Doctor, the villain who escaped. We get him alone via one of us disguising as a Dame with Great Gams (probably the scion of Uncle Sam, he always gets this job) and break the manipulation. But he’s still not convinced of us. We need some trust building, and by that we assume he means prostitutes.

We are in the process of getting those arrangements made when we have a fight with Herr Doktor’s bodyguard, Creepy Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark. fights gets somewhat protracted and we try to get to the docks to get out we are fighting a whole damn big group of Nazi soldiers and I have had enough of this shit and these mother fucking nazis in my mother fucking port, so I pull plot points and fuck with the doom pool and magic myself an illusion of MOTHER FUCKING CTHULHU RISING FROM THE WATERS. Needless to say, the nazis POWs themselves and wisely surrender.

First game was one of our most seminal games. Might be the most seminal. Second one told us a lot about Cortex Plus and really cemented a love for it.

Both games were six sessions long.

Had. We did it twice actually. First time, we used scion and learned the warts of it. Second time we used Marvel Heroic because it was easy.

We started with recovering the shield of Joan of Arc from a Nazi castle via the Dieppe Raid (we got through). Landing at the raid involved the scion of John Bull leaping between boats with his pet bulldog Winston, and punching people with his fists called Tea and Crumpets. Our scion of Robin Hood and local min maxer showed how broken the system was when he proceeded to dodge the gunfire of like 30 guys, then dominate them. Our scion of Uncle Sam leads men into battle and finds a platoon that is made of sterner stuff, and they become his worshippers.

we tracked the shield to the Nazi castle. We broke into the castle by having the Scion of Uncle Sam (USA Uncle Sam) impersonate hitler, the scion of Odin (me) pretend to be Joseph goebbels, and someone, maybe the scion of Shiva, play the part of Himmler. We discovered they were turning POWs into jotun. We were not happy about that, so we (I mean me, and I convinced them) to rescue all 500 POWs and bring them back to england, because fuck small, you are a goddamn child of a god, you do big. So we shoved an axis Italian scientist into the stomach of a jotun because he was a dick, stole many vehicles, gun fight with .50 cals, and broke out of the castle with the prisoners in trucks. We, of course, stole one of those ridiculous long convertible German officer cars, because style is important.

On the way out, we met the actual leader of the castle, a powerful scion, and made a deal that he could leave unharmed. I convinced the scion of shiva to rig up his escape motorcycle to explode as he left, then avoided swearing to let him go unmolested. My character is a right bastard. He drove off and the motorcycoe exploded just over a hill, dramatically at the end of a session. Most of the group was shocked by this because we did it on the sky with the GMs help and they didn’t expect either of us to be so cold. Fuck nazis.

We drove across Europe to Amsterdam, fighting an axis scion ninja and a giant robotic boar along the way. In Amsterdam, we snuck through the sewers and stole a troop transport after having a brief confrontation with a Nazi ship that oozed evil... only the scion of Uncle Sam could even get close to plant charges on it for the distraction. Get the prisoners on a transport, set sail, and boom, blow up the super evil ship. The chase is on.

Only it wasn’t the ONLY evil ship. We are doing the best we can, heading across the channel, trying to get to friendly waters, and another evil ass ship chases after us. They fire on us, things look bad. The scion of John Bull blocks the artillery shells with the shield of Joan of Arc, keeping us up. We jump ship and go and assault the evil ass ship, because we got no weapons but our fists and small arms.

So, we head over. Nazis all over, and I sneak down into the hold to plant charges. Only I discover why the ship is so evil. It’s being powered by people. Literally sucking their souls out to power this thing, leaving them as zombies. So I am in a goddamn zombie apocalypse in the bowels of a Nazi ship and I am not a fighter. I’m a smooth talking mother fucker who gets others to do his dirty work. But I am tough as shit. I took a tank shell in the face. So I am running and surviving and planting charges. I yell on the way up to get the fuck off and we jump. We signal to get picked up and get on the ship. The ship has had enough of our shit and TRANSFORMS INTO A FUCKING GIANT ROBOT STANDING IN THE ENGLISH CHANNEL. Then we blow it up. Because style is important.

Second one, we had a slight change of cast. We got a scion of the Red Baron who flew in a steam punk iron man suit.

We started off this one trying to get escaped nazis back into prison and ended up with a chase scene right st the beginning. They got ahold of an experimental bomber and took off, back to Europe. So we took off after them. We needed to get them out of the sky, but we didn’t have any guns. We should pick better vehicles. So we landed the plane on the other plane, and my character, who now had some magic, chained them together in the sky with magic bullshit while the rest of the group fought on the inside of the plane. We are plummeting now over the channel but we get them back! Only the villain escapes. Stupid villain.

So we gotta go get him. We get on this giant French sub I forget the name of and sail towards Morocco because we are going to negotiate with the free French to be more punching the fucking nazis because it is literally the best thing. Only we get assaulted by a Nazi ship on the way in. So I am making the magic bullshit and Ironman is bursting out of the water and Robin Hood decides that he can split the arrow with an artillery cannon, if the arrow is a German ship and we take that damn ship.

So then we use it for a ruse and sneak into the port in Morocco (forget the name) and find that the free French commander is being manipulated by Herr Doctor, the villain who escaped. We get him alone via one of us disguising as a Dame with Great Gams (probably the scion of Uncle Sam, he always gets this job) and break the manipulation. But he’s still not convinced of us. We need some trust building, and by that we assume he means prostitutes.

We are in the process of getting those arrangements made when we have a fight with Herr Doktor’s bodyguard, Creepy Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark. fights gets somewhat protracted and we try to get to the docks to get out we are fighting a whole damn big group of Nazi soldiers and I have had enough of this shit and these mother fucking nazis in my mother fucking port, so I pull plot points and fuck with the doom pool and magic myself an illusion of MOTHER FUCKING CTHULHU RISING FROM THE WATERS. Needless to say, the nazis POWs themselves and wisely surrender.

First game was one of our most seminal games. Might be the most seminal. Second one told us a lot about Cortex Plus and really cemented a love for it.

Both games were six sessions long.

Scion's interesting but the engine is a well-known trainwreck, right?

If I was running it I'd use Godbound.

Never did try Cortex+. How does it scale from Hero to Demigod to God?

Scion's interesting but the engine is a well-known trainwreck, right?

yes. The system is barely tolerable at Hero, and at Demigod and God it is just flat out broken. The core of it is Epic Stats, which scale really insanely, and are automatic successes. Epic 1 is 1, epic 2 is 2 epic 3 is 4, epic 4 is 7, epic 5 is like 10 or something. it gets kind of nuts from there. Sometime in demigod, iirc, no amount of normal stat can beat your epic stat, and therefore they cannot win unless they have an epic stat that beats yours.
If I was running it I'd use Godbound.
never run it, never read it, but hear it's good
Never did try Cortex+. How does it scale from Hero to Demigod to God?

well, we were functionally playing a slightly modified Marvel Heroic at that point. So we decided that we had a "god die" instead of an affiliation (solo/buddy/team) die, which made it functionally the same as the hulk operating with black widow (with us being on the widow side).

I was never really happy with that option, because it left us with only a d8 and didn't leave us with any situations to alter that die (marvel uses that to represent wolverine who works alone vs spiderman who often buddies vs captain america who does team stuff). But, it worked well enough. D8 for heroes, D10 for Demigods, d12 for gods. It was considered and discussed in other threads and forums that adding a scale die, as is done in some other supplements, might be a better choice to do the scaling of god power.

Still, as a game, it worked well. Better than scion, though frankly somewhat less evocative. It might have been due to some folks having a bit of tunnel vision and not putting in the flavor text they needed. My character became radically more powerful, but I also had literally the least powerful character in scion - there isn't as much support for the kind of social dude I wanted.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back