horror rpg homebrew; looking for a system to use

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Enlightened Magic is great stuff, part of why I'm looking forward to the Mythras version of 'After The Vampire Wars'... which, IIRC, is Mr. Snead building a setting around that magic system. The earlier Chaosium version struck me as a 'get it out the door' job, but I've got hope the Design Mechanism will do a much better job with it.

Enlightened Magic is great stuff, part of why I'm looking forward to the Mythras version of 'After The Vampire Wars'... which, IIRC, is Mr. Snead building a setting around that magic system. The earlier Chaosium version struck me as a 'get it out the door' job, but I've got hope the Design Mechanism will do a much better job with it.

I share your opinion. Snead's material is first class but the book didn't get the attention it deserved. I suspect that The Design Mechanism will do a good job. I for one will be buying..

Ok, so that means either BGB + Enlightened Magic
or Witchcraft + Conspiracy X + Paranormal Sourcebook

Well, that settles it. I think I have a slight preference for Unisystem, but I think I might get them all eventually. Nothing wrong with good, robust rpg book.

Initially I tried to do something like this with the nWoD, but I found I needed a lot of books for this. At least the WoD core, Second Sight (for psychics, cultists and low magic), Book of Spirits (for spirits), Inferno (for demonic pacts and possessions), Reliquery (for cursed items and grimoires) and possibly Hunter the Vigil (for all the other monsters). A lot of system (mostly subsystems) and a lot of words.

Initially I tried to do something like this with the nWoD, but I found I needed a lot of books for this. At least the WoD core, Second Sight (for psychics, cultists and low magic), Book of Spirits (for spirits), Inferno (for demonic pacts and possessions), Reliquery (for cursed items and grimoires) and possibly Hunter the Vigil (for all the other monsters). A lot of system (mostly subsystems) and a lot of words.

Vigil core should have you covered, really, with the Dread Powers system.

or Witchcraft + Conspiracy X + Paranormal Sourcebook

Well, that settles it. I think I have a slight preference for Unisystem, but I think I might get them all eventually. Nothing wrong with good, robust rpg book.
The Witchcraft pdf still appears to be free. Been free for a few years, I think?

Vigil core should have you covered, really, with the Dread Powers system.
Yes indeed, now that could work too. But I think I would use Second Sight too for player's psychic powers. And for all the npc's I can use the Dread Powers. That would make it WoD core + second sight + hunter the vigil. Great, another alternative. But I think it's my third choice. I soured a bit on the wod, because of their purple prose writing style which seems to crowd good ideas out of my head while reading it. Inspiration kryptonite.

Hey Butcher, I have one final question. How would you handle something like the Shadow/Hisil, the Upside Down or the Fogworld/Otherworld mechanically? Entering/existing, interaction with beings from the otherside, spirits manifestation, possessions etc. I was mostly just winging it and coming with some temporary rulings.

Yes, I have one copy of After the Vampire Wars too. It was a bit sparse. On setting material.

Anyway, I am going for unisystem. The Paranormal sourcebook is right up my alley.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back