How was Man O'War?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Shipyard Locked

How long do I have?
Reaction score
One of my many gaming regrets is that I never got to play the Game's Workshop's Man O'War. For those who did, how was it? What were the highlights, your best in-game moments? How were the rules?

I only played it once probably 25 years ago. As I recall I played Orks and had a blast. It was a three player game and Orks had a very random factor to them. I seem to recall Orks either blew themselves up or criticalled enemies. I'd play it again. I'm a sucker though for naval combat.

I played the space version for 40k...also about 25 years ago, it was alright. The rules were very light and had a lot of "game flavor" baked in, this being before the dark times (1996-2016) of GW.

I'm surprised Tristram didn't have anything to say about this. o_O

I'm surprised Tristram didn't have anything to say about this. o_O

I never got the chance to play, to be honest. I own a fleet of the Skaven ships, but Man O War came out during the period when I'd given up on Warhammer. I have played the much older Warhammer Ahoy ship combat rules from White Dwarf circa 3rd edition, but I don't know how much Man O' War had in common with that. It certainly was at a different scale (Warhammer Ahoy assumed the regular 28mm scale and had rules for boarding other ships with models to duke it out). I also never found an opponent for Dreadfleet, Man O War's successor, but it did at least have a lot of pretty ships. May pull that out and try and entice someone at some point.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back