IC: Livonia's Lament (in game - July 3rd onward)

Discussion in 'Games' started by opaopajr, Jul 17, 2017.

  1. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Geraldine's
    PC: Sanya
    Time: almost 3 PM

    "Of course, Sanya dear, we don't want to overburden you while you are still learning! But we will draft up times of important meetings, and expect you to be there." (Again, you earned [Expectations: "Temperance Banner Picnic" Committee Schedule] ) "Even by being a new embroidery student, baking fundraising pastries, or comporting yourself morally about town, you will be helping to change lives!"

    "Well, it's aproaching that time again, we must decide where to meet on Sunday..."

    They decide to meet at one of the senior member's houses. However, since it is going to be a bee, there will be furious amounts of experienced sewing and no time to devote to instruction. You are naturally invited to enjoy their company, and given a list of supplies recommended for a student primer in stitchwork in case you wanted to practice while there, but you are not obliged to attend. (You're offered [Invitation: This Sunday's Sewing Bee], but there are no expectations.)

    You also receive word of the next saloon meeting place for Tuesday.

    Anyone else you want to talk to? Anything you are doing next?
     
  2. AngelsAndAarakocra

    AngelsAndAarakocra Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    1
    Sanya will continue practising until the session ends. Afterwards, she will thank the woman who invited her, and head to whichever shop would be best to buy the embroidery supplies from to buy said embroidery supplies.
     
  3. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    Caden assuages the fears of his ally, assuring him it's just drunken rambling.

    Caden replies to Kent "Caden is my name, you've no more reason to trust me than anyone else it's your call. I've seen more than enough bloodshed for most men. You can find me at Geraldine's when you've made your mind up".
     
  4. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Geraldine's
    PC: Sanya
    Time: half past 3 PM

    That went well! And now as you leave Vaux's Tools you have a basket of sewing primer supplies. Not much in the way of trade-level Sewing Tools, but enough to be a student and maybe learn a new trade in the future!

    This should be put away with your belongings back at the Maiden's House at which you are staying, along with your other newly purchased travel goods. Then you can decide how to spend the remaining evening and night before adventure tomorrow! :)
    ----------------------

    Dive Bar before Fistful of Ingots
    PC: Caden
    Time: quarter past 8 AM

    "I know and trust Grath from there. If he says you're good people I'll leave word with him when we're ready." Kent and Maydoff leave deeper into the alley, their shoulders hunched, seething.

    Done with your work, you and your gig-ally go in for payment. The new proprietor looks at you both, counting out bone-bead strings (coppers), while a halfling starts righting chairs readying to reopen. "Good, clean work. No extra blood, no broken furniture," swipes the bone-bead strings into a drawer and shuts it. Instead he's offering you a stone-bead string (a silver piece) each.

    "Your names?" ... "Name's Jorath. I travel picking up opportunities for my employers. I'll put in a good word about your job here."

    "Might even have a future bouncing, keeping our costs low. Terms would be [a Poor Lifestyle], but I only got room for one hire right now." He returns to his work, dismissing you both, "I'll be here this weekend if you're interested. After that, maybe not."

    ... Do you ask anything of Jorath after payment?

    You learned your bouncer gig-ally's name is Knobby-Pine, in Paiute. He seems keen, well, a bit desperate, to find stability in this town. Though the Shoshone and Paiute mostly get along, he won't have the same community support, but it will be better than Easterners receive. He seems to have a story... he faces you outside in a typical Basin Native posture that wants to talk, waiting for you to face him in return.
     
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  5. AngelsAndAarakocra

    AngelsAndAarakocra Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    1
    Sanya hurries to do so- she doesn't want to lose her supplies- and stores them all away. After that, Sanya will make sure she's got her equipment for tomorrow all ready correctly, and when she has, practice her stitches.
     
  6. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Sanya has a choice to eat at the Squash Blossom Maiden's House, where she is staying as a guest relation, or elsewhere in the town. It's an opportunity to meet more people, but can easily be hand-waved away if she's more excited to start on her adventure tomorrow.

    Sanya knows she will disappoint her newfound Shoshone friends tomorrow, not being able to collect morning sage with them. They will have gathered enough by Monday and begin the next phase of the mighty ritual. Perhaps Ol' Salty Clem's badger will be fixed by then?
     
  7. AngelsAndAarakocra

    AngelsAndAarakocra Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    1
    Sanya will eat at the Squash Blossom Maiden's House, I think. Hopefully Sanya will be able to sort out the badger problem quickly.
     
  8. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    Caden gives his name to Jorath and tells him he's interested in the bouncing gig. Couldn't hurt to get a little steady work going which could allow him to hear things and make friends.

    Caden will then inquire of Knobby-Pine what it is that he wants to talk about.
     
  9. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Squash Blossom Maiden's House
    PC: Sanya
    Time: 7 PM, hour or so before sunset, but mountain shadow already encroaching.

    "Mmm, 'Three Sisters Dancing Inside Momma Grouse'!" It's a well-seasoned grouse stuffed with beans, squash, & corn, wrapped in corn husks, roasted surrounded by eggs in a wet basket, in an earthen pit heated by hot stones. "And afterwards, we pop tule seeds on a frying pan for a storytime snack -- recent trade from cousins by the distant creek marshes."

    You see the house grandmother, Gagu'bia, dote on her den daughters. "My chicks may have settled their own patch of sage, but I still must clutch a brood. I can cook for my grandchildren and my traveling children alike." She busies herself cooking and cleaning almost endlessly, otherwise she's found brushing maiden hair. She helps them bun it up into the squash blossom style, indicating availability for marriage.

    "My family name is 'Sage Grouse' for a reason. We love to cluster around and mother everyone, even those from far away. Come here, dear, your buns are getting loose," she calls to a girl who gets her hair redone. "Good to see you finally rest a bit, Sanya, my child. Eat now."

    She gives you an introduction of your housemates while directing another 'daughter' to serve you a plate, leather thongs between her teeth as she fixes those wayward buns. You have a Paiute visitor from distant Washoe. And some tule-eater Modoc cousins who've visited from the Great Tule lake far to the West, they barely speak comprehensible Shoshone. And there's even a fly-eater from the salty Spirit Lakes closer due West from here, her dialect understands the Modoc visitors best. Green Pinyon Valley, Red Grass Valley, and Willow Creeks Valley neighboring cousins all have presence here, too. You are tied with the Great Tule Lake Modoc for farthest visitor here, coming from the Black Rock Spirit Gate Valleys.

    Soon storytime will begin after dinner, and everyone's eager to hear news from far-flung family. Do you share your story? Who do you start with?
     
  10. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    "How badly you need this job? My family relocated from a Paiute valley Northwest from here. The restless blindmen from underground, the Chii'eechii (?), slaughtered most of my band in the night and I escaped with what family I could to here.

    "Most of them are weak and in our distant cousins' care -- the Shoshone here. But we brought so many injured we strain our hosts. My relations count on me to be useful, to offset our burden." He looks like a tough brave, but he's obviously shaken by recent events. "I must do something to gift our hosts for their medicine and shelter..."

    You know this is not the greatest job, and it will take up your nights. That said, stability is a nice thing and the world is full of sob stories. Decisions?
     
  11. AngelsAndAarakocra

    AngelsAndAarakocra Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    1
    Sanya thanks the daughter who brings her food. Sanya will definitely share her story after dinner, first with the grandmother.
     
  12. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    OOC: So is Knobby-Pine saying he needs this job to care for family or is Jorath saying that about the bar?
     
  13. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Caden, that'd be Knobby-Pine as the brave, and Jorath the Easterner new proprietor. So Knobby-Pine is asking you about taking the job over you, or somehow else 'helping a brother out'.
    ------------------
    Sanya, I am still baking side stories near and far (mostly near) and trying to sprinkle real world tidbits within. Basically it will be a rumor mill night of setting yummies.

    Also, it paces things where Caden has a chance to even out, time wise. Separate timekeeping is OK, until things get too far apart. I don't like to ret-con consequenses, so this way avoids split "alternities."
     
    AngelsAndAarakocra likes this.
  14. AngelsAndAarakocra

    AngelsAndAarakocra Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    1
  15. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    OOC: Thanks.

    Caden ponders it a moment, then tells Knobby-Pine "I think you can use the work more than me friend, I do ok as is".
     
  16. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Dive Bar before Fistful of Ingots
    PC: Caden
    Time: 8:20 AM

    "Thank you brother-in-arms Caden, I and my family band owe you. I will use your speech to make people leave here peacefully, for you seem to have the gift of words." Knobby-Pine places a hand to your shoulder in thanks. "We are known as Toker-Omps band in Paiute, the Black Pine band, of Pinyon Valley -- now lost to us by the Chii'eechii.

    "If you see this in town," he points to a downward starburst pattern of pine cone lobes and stone beads, "you are seeing my family. I will speak well of you and they will help you as they can. We are crippled now but you give us hope to recover."

    "Come see me if you are in need of another strong arm, my friend! Ya-hai-ya-ya-yai!" he whoops and raises his hand into a fist to celebrate(?), cement the oath of favor(?). Several Easterner people on the boardwalk flinch as if something violent is about to go down and eye you two cautiously. Knobby-Pine moves to go back inside to take the job.

    Do you want to add or ask anything before he goes? Otherwise we can continue on into Fistful of Ingots.
     
  17. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    Caden wishes him luck in improving his family fortunes and offers that if Knobby-Pine or his kin are even in need of another sword arm he is available. It never hurts to make friends after all.
     
  18. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Fistful of Ingots
    PC: Caden
    Time: quarter till 9 AM

    Caden, you're greeted with a bartender smile, the area fresh as the shutters vent any stale drunken air with the morning cool. Several rough-looking locals wander in and out during morning business, sharing news and stealing a nip between errands. You receive a welcome nod of indifference as a newcomer, no suspicion. You even pick up a few rumors among the morning churn:

    Customer A) "Another body was found back by the slums, this one not waking up. We're gonna need our mortician to cut his vacation short if this keeps up. His apprentice is starting to have a backlog."

    Customer B) "Heard through the Paiutes a massive bison trade is coming this way from up North. Might get a meat feast from the remnants, could end up being a festival. Who knows how long it'll take to get here yet, though."

    Customer C) "That halfling is still making waves in upscale bars like these, looking for a rough 'n ready man-at-arms. Nothing trusting that dwarf with him, however. Good thing you ran them off. Don't want people like that changing the character of this place."

    You've been spending about 6 copper, chasing a shot by nursing a beer, idling and listening. What are you doing?
     
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  19. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Squash Blossom Maiden's House
    PC: Sanya
    Time: 7 PM-ish

    Sanya, the food is remarkable, and Gagu'bia ("grandma") doesn't let up trying to feed her new 'clutch of chicks'. "Eh ne ne ne! Grandma, if you don't stop, they will have to roll me back to my Willow Creeks Valley!"

    "Deche ("hush") child, let's fill in those cheeks. You must've been starving yourself on your way here. We will get you married yet to a good strong youth while you visit," chides Gagu'bia as she places another scoop onto her plate.

    "Ah, there is no refusing your hospitality, Grandma," the Willow Creeks maiden relents. She gets a glimmer in her eye, "That reminds me of a story from my band among the willows! It's the story of Coyote and the Deer Tick Who Never Had Enough..." As everyone is being loaded up on seconds, mostly against their full stomachs, she launches into a comedic story about Coyote's struggles against a gluttonous Deer Tick.

    It involves Coyote not taking good Opossum advice on family grooming when traveling the tall grasses and willows by the creeks. He picks up a deer tick and then struggles trying to get it off. After many funny attempts where Coyote ends up the butt of the joke, he receives advice to feed it even more by covering Deer Tick with grease. Deer Tick backs out because it is now too full, then Coyote throws it into a fire and, turn about is fair play, eats Deer Tick in revenge (which starts another story about getting sick from eating sister Deer Tick).
     
  20. AngelsAndAarakocra

    AngelsAndAarakocra Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    1
    "Thank you, Grandma! You certainly feed your children well." Sanya listens intently to the story and enjoys it very much.
     
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    Caden will try and get a better listen in on Customer C, he's still trying to get at whoever has been asking around town about him and this seems to fit the bill for the duo he heard about earlier. If he can he will try to inconspicuously seat himself closer to them.
     
  22. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Fistful of Ingots
    PC: Caden
    Time: 9 AM

    Caden, you notice Customer C carry on with another patron and Alton, the bartender and part owner of this establishment. You pull a simple sly maneuver of going to the outhouse briefly and returning back just closer to their conversation. (Thankfully 9 am is not a crowded time to pull this stealthy trick.)

    You order a brew to nurse, as if minding your own, and listen in -- it looks like it worked as they still seem indifferent to you and carry on.

    "Yeah, whatever their target, that's one hell of a grudge. When not even a chatty halfling can make up for a dwarf's surly mood -- in a mining town filled with dwarves? -- that's some special axe to grind."

    The bartender and owner Alton replies, "That and they mixed up what sorts make up my place here --"

    "Yes, only the classiest of scoundrels for you Alton!"

    "Shut yer yap and drink up, Brooj."

    "Cheers, my man!" Pulls a strong draught from his mug, enjoying his successful friendly dig.

    "-- Anyway, I don't want this place to get that kind of rep. Manhunting is behind my line."

    "None too subtle, neither," offers Customer C. "But then enough crazy happens here, you'd be excused as a newcomer to think you could get away with it." Sips, "But half the town knows by now, because people talk, so only the sloppiest or most desperate would pull that gig."

    "Ain't no shortage of those'ns around," quips Brooj, "If I was the tall blond stranger they're lookin' for I'd pick better sleeps uptown than further down here."

    "I keep my flops behind here safe 'n secure --" Alton eyes Brooj another wry warning.

    "Of course, except you Alton. The line's held here and all, y'know!" beams another sarcastic grin, then masks it with another strong pull.

    The topic's fresh, but seems like they'd need to be plied directly for richer info. However, you do match the description of the target, so there is a risk you may tip your hand, (and upset the proprietor who staunchly wants to keep his bar's rep).
     
  23. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    Caden is troubled by what he hears. He's willing to risk approaching them, even if he tips his hand he figure it a win as it may drive someone to rash action. Caden will try to make his way into the conversation. He will lie saying he was approached as well but declined, though he's now rethinking it. He will try to fish for as much useful info as possible.
     
  24. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    (Let's test that chat room dice roller! Give me a Deception skill roll to mask you, followed by a Persuasion skill roll for more good info. Who knows, those two might've built enough grudge around town for others to help you?)
     
  25. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    OOC: I can't seem to get the dice roller working and there is a password for the game chat room.
     
  26. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Fistful of Ingots
    PC: Caden
    Time: 9:30 AM

    Caden, you find your deception pretty successful. Alton & Brooj engage you heartily enough to drown out Customer C. Outside of a brief comment that you match the height, race, & hair, they gloss over it as though there's plenty who fit the same description.

    You learn that the man they are looking for is a lowlife criminal named Caden. He apparently did a job and left his gang ally, the dwarf's kin, to take the fall. He didn't even ante up for bail or help in an escape job, just up and left him to do several years in prison.

    Your chat partners shrug at the end of that, "Better in and out of a rough card table than adding more money in a hot pot." "A job's one thing. Splitting shares or rescues are another among thieves, I suppose..."

    Customer C is not so engaging during all this, more listening. Apparently this dwarf is looking for some kidnapping, or at least blood out, and isn't so picky how. But he's demanding and absurdly cheap! Wants things done his way, open and loud -- or he'll wait for his clansmen to arrive and do it themselves.

    Alton & Brooj go on about great dwarven grudges and how work could be held up for months until clan scores are settled. Meanwhile Customer C leans into you and whispers, "All I ask is you leave this hideaway clear of your troubles. I like Alton, and it's one of the few places I can escape my family during the day and feel like a young man again." Seems like not all were fooled. He hasn't told the others yet, as he seems to be waiting for your assurance.

    (And anything else in particular you are asking for?)
     
  27. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    Caden whispers to Customer C "No troubles friend, I've got no intention of dragging Alton or his establishment into my problems" he gives him a brief nod as he leans back out and addresses the others. "Well good talking to you lads, but I suppose I should be moving on for the afternoon, not sure I want to go getting involved in all this business but thanks for the conversation."
     
  28. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    (OK, you leave Fistful of Ingot with a lot of info. Where do you go and what do you do next? Let's get you temporally closer to Sanya & evening!)
     
  29. opaopajr

    opaopajr Active Member

    Joined:
    May 4, 2017
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    114
    Squash Blossom Maiden's House
    PC: Sanya
    Time: approaching 8 PM

    "Heey-ya, Gagu'bia, I hear tales are being told. Can your local flock listen, too?" Several similar aged youths, mostly maidens but a few braves, are outside looking in asking to join in the fun and see the visiting distant relations. Braves are carrying rolled mats, while maidens carry baskets and blankets. "We brought fireside snacks to share."

    Grandma gives them a mock serious look, then waves them on in. "Of course, meal's done, get to know your big family. That way when you 'spilt waters' wander the land you will find friendly water basins to cradle you from the sun's heat." The youth pour in and start setting mats among the inner patio. A few maidens start pulling out pan, oil, and husked seeds, others put pinecones to the fire, so as to make more snacks. You see Gagu'bia measure out the gifted tule seeds in proportion to the new visitors, call up a brave while pulling out a string of cash, and sends him off with a few words of extra ingredients.

    People are making introductions in the ado. Laughter sounds out and you recognize Big-Chipmunk-Cheeks is here. She comes by you and rests a hand upon your shoulder, "Good to see you again! Let me make the rounds among our big family," and she goes off visiting this house's new faces you've just met.

    Smirking acolyte with a limp is here, too. Not really a brave as one would think of, but still young to enjoy a gathering of peers like this -- he must have been called to serve the spirits early. He pulls up with a blanket in hand to your mat with a platter of popped seeds and roasted pine nuts in the other, "May I enjoy your company? I feel story time is about to begin and I want to be closest to the most intriguing one."

    Response?

    Soon the travel stories will begin, along with tales of comedy & myth alternating. You may want to decide how much of your past you want to reveal now. Acolyte could be of help, but he also speaks like an elder before his time, so it's hard to say how much of his advice will be understandable.
     
  30. AngelsAndAarakocra

    AngelsAndAarakocra Member

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    1
    Sanya smiles. "Certainly. I am considering masking my identity when I tell my tale, but these people seem like good, true folk and I may tell the truth."
     
  31. Arkansan

    Arkansan Member

    Joined:
    May 19, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    30
    Caden will go for a stroll about town to process what he has learned. He also hopes that he might draw some sort of movement from his pursuers if he makes himself a bit more visible. (if you want to steer me a bit in the desired direction I would be cool with that).
     

Share This Page