Interesting Free Wargames

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Doc Sammy

White Trash Weeb
Reaction score
So, as an enthusiast of Army Men and similar cheap plastic soldiers, I am a huge fan of Thor Sheil's Army Men webpage. But it wasn't until recently did I check his Wargaming section in-depth. He has links to tons of rules sets for wargaming with the use of Army Men and other toy soldiers. Some of them are old rules sets that have lapsed into the public domain like Little Wars and Sham Battle, but others are stuff Thor made himself.

Here's a link to the main page of his wargames section that I have been mulling over the past day and a half.

http://www.thortrains.net/armymen/sandygme.htm

Most notably, there is the Jersey Shore Battle Games rules sets (also known as the Sandy Hook rules), which was apparently made by Thor and his buddies back in the 1970's when they were teenagers. There are variants of this basic and easy skirmish rules set that cover all sorts of genres from WW2, Modern, Ancient/Medieval, Wild West, Pirates, and even more obscure stuff like Spacemen and Samurai.

But my favorite set of rules, and the ones I have read the most on is the "One Man One Gun" series that Thor made in the late 2000's/early 2010's. I really love "One Man One Knight" in particular, as it's an easy-to-learn medieval wargame. He recently added supplements for Samurai in One Man One Knight, as well as Spacemen and Zombie supplements for One Man One Gun Advanced (the ultra-modern version of One Man One Gun). Apparently there is a Swords & Sorcery fantasy supplement coming soon for One Man One Knight as well.

I think this would be a good way for me to get into wargaming, as you can buy cheap Army Men at the local dollar stores for next to nothing, and Amazon often has Medieval and other historical types of Army Men, both old and new, for generally reasonable prices. The rules are also easy to learn as well.

You could combine "I Ain't Been Shot Ma!" with One Man, One Knight, and call it "I Nowt Been Stabbed, Sirrah!" :smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back