McDeath Vote for Me!

Discussion in 'Miniature Wargames' started by TristramEvans, Nov 27, 2017.

1. TristramEvans

TristramEvans Goosebuster Moderator

Here is my entry into the 3rd annual Oldhammer painting competition, The Golden Gobbos!

[​IMG]

MCDEATH!
    As well as being one of the rarest Citadel figures from the 1980s (goes for £150 or more on Ebay when it comes up, and I was only able to find three total painted examples online when looking for inspiration), few figures are as iconically "Oldhammer" as this Jes Goodwin sculpt. Pouring through pictures in old copies of White Dwarf circa 3rd edition, I also decided that I wanted to recreate the fad for elaborate and oversized banners from that period. Rather than drill into McDeath's hand, I grabbed an old Snotling figure online to act as a standard bearer, as I found it a quite amusing picture of this tiny goblin holding up this massive banner.

I raided my bitz box to construct the banner top, and carved the post from sprue held up by flattened paper clips drilled into the Snotling`s hands and top. I wanted McDeath on a suitably epic base and conceived of something in the style of a Frazetta painting, with him standing atop a mound of corpses. Once again raiding my bitz box, and buying a box of Wargames Factory Skeletons, I built up the base from scratch, and used Vallejo water effects mixed with ''Blood for the Blood god'' Citadel special effects paint to create the pool of blood. I also fashioned McDeath a cape and gave him a sculpted shield. The banner itself is painted freehand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It took about six weeks to finish painting, after an initial blunder with the eyes that caused me to have to strip the figure and start again. I got a digital camera and was all set to take pictures the final day the entry was due, when I discovered I was missing a cord. So I set up as many lamps in the bathroom as I could, and a makeshift photo box, and after about 50 tries got a few decent shots just in time to get my entry in.

Originally I wasn't going to go outside of the Oldhammer forum to try and garner any votes, because I didnt know if that was a faux pas, until the fellow running the contest did just that on various Facebook groups, so as its fair game I figured I'd ask anyone so inclined to drop by the Oldhammer forum, take a minute or two to register if need be, and drop in a vote for me. :smile:

http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13085

2. CRKrueger

CRKrueger Well-Known Member

How much do you charge to paint minis you sick, talented bastard? :weep:

TristramEvans likes this.
  3. TristramEvans

4. noman

noman Legendary Member

Just wanted to pop in and say that's amazing stuff, Tristram. :smile:

5. Spinachcat

Spinachcat Well-Known Member

Wow!!

That's crazy great work.

6. TristramEvans

Last day for voting (hint hint, nudge, nudge)

7. Bunch

Bunch Well-Known Member

Voted!

8. Spinachcat

Spinachcat Well-Known Member

Me too!

There were three really solid entries.

I am still stunned you found a McDeath to paint!

9. TristramEvans

Thanks guys! Yeah, heavy competition. I may not win (though I guess I could, if I got 3 votes in the next 24 hours), but happy to place high in that company.

Yeah, he was a holy grail find for me at a price I could actually afford.