Raiders of R’lyeh is out

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Games' started by Raleel, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Raleel

Raleel Member

i found out about it via google search and asking in a thread. I've not bought it, but I figured some folks might want to know. What I've been able to discern is that it is Edwardian Pulp Mythras with Cthulhu, which hits a lot of right notes for me. I was looking at a slight time shift forward to WW2 and including Nazi punching.

It's also $40, which I just can't justify without a preview on drivethrurpg. At that price, it is more than most games I pick up, and need some reassurance it is worth all that for me. That and I have two print on demand coupons I still have to use and those ones are not cheap either!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/209168/Raiders-of-Rlyeh-Gamemasters-Guide--Core-Rules For those looking.

Apparently long delayed out of Kickstarter due to health issues. I asked about it a couple weeks ago on therpgsite and provoked a couple pages and in my imagination was the catalyst for it being released ;)

Sunsword likes this.
  2. The Butcher

The Butcher Well-Known Member

I preordered. I have the PDFs.

It is 1910s pulp Cthulhu. It's ostensibly powered by Openquest but the system is Mythras/RQ6 in all but name.

I don't much care for some tidbits (like starting with magic) but the world information and random tables are top notch. I'm talking Sine Nomine levels of awesomeness.

That being said, USD 40 is steep for a PDF.

I also hope they is a sign Quentin is doing better — my limited interactions with him suggest he's an awesome, enthusiastic creator and a stand-up guy, and IIRC his health issues seemed fairly serious.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Sunsword likes this.
  3. Raleel

Raleel Member

Could you talk about the awesome a bit? I have godbound and stars without numbers but have not read them. I literally have an rpg addiction issue :)

I truly hope he is doing better as well. Health issues suck, and we have enough of that in the community.

4. K_Peterson

K_Peterson Active Member

I contributed to the Kickstarter (4 years ago?), and I expect that I've got a pdf of RoR stashed somewhere on OneDrive. Which was distributed to backers a while ago. Perhaps it's the same one that's available on DTRPG?

I've pretty much stopped caring about RoR. Quentin hasn't posted an update to the Kickstarter since last Christmas (when he was "close to releasing the game!"). I thought his health issues occurred in 2014 or 2015 - but perhaps he had another issue recently. In any case, for me, RoR will be consigned to the Island of Misfit Rpgs - forgotten on cloud storage, never to be played, and $40 of wasted cash.

5. The Butcher

Random tables, my good man. Lots of them. And good ones too. To generate your own eldricht horrors, weird happenings and bizarre cults. Or even to stock an occult library. Pair this with Sine Nomine's Silent Legions for the ultimate DIY CoC scenario (or campaign) tool kit.

Trust me: it's worth looking into. To shuffle it into the same vault as Septimus or other cursed jewels would be a travesty.

Raleel likes this.
  6. Raleel

Raleel Member

I assume you are just delirious from new baby stuff.

The Butcher likes this.
  7. TristramEvans

TristramEvans Moderator Moderator

I was really excited about this when it was announced, but the conduct during the KS has soured me unfortunately.

8. 3rik

3rik Member

$40 may seem rather steep, but it's 490(!) pages crammed full of nothing but good stuff.

9. Aglondir

Aglondir Member

A preview and several reviews.

What's the "Raiders" in reference to? In other words, why is it in the title? Does it reference a Lovecraft work, or does it have an Indiana Jones feel, or something else?

10. TristramEvans

TristramEvans Moderator Moderator

490 pages actually works against it in pdf form. Which means the cost then becomes $40 + whatever the cost of printing it up.

11. Raleel

Raleel Member

There is a 25 page preview available now.

12. Simlasa

Simlasa Active Member

Looks good!
    Though I'm wondering how much I 'need' it is I've already got loads of CoC stuff as well as Silent Legions...

13. The Butcher

I think they complement each other very well.

14. K_Peterson

K_Peterson Active Member

Just got a notification from BackersKit that the RoR "Gamemaster Guide & Complete Rules Update 09/17" is available for download.

15. Raleel

Raleel Member

nice to see. the 10 pages of...um... discourse on therpgsite might have prompted some action :)

16. K_Peterson

K_Peterson Active Member

Yeah, I saw all the bitching and moaning, rage and anguish over there. But I'm doubtful that greased the wheels. Probably just what the publisher had planned to do anyway.

Apparition likes this.
  17. Raleel

Raleel Member

I can hope, though I find it oddly coincidental that i bring it up on therpgsite a few weeks back and suggest that a PDF on DTRPG would do, even in a beta state, and money was being left on the table (not my words there), and it magically appears. Then, when the "discussion" happens and a lot of people get all spun up, suddenly it gets sent to backers too! I bet he reads therpgsite at least :)

18. CRKrueger

CRKrueger Active Member

Heh, I'm the one who made the "left money on the table" post, and it does seem coincidental. Then again, one of the reasons we were surprised he wasn't doing it was because it was so obvious... :D

Raleel likes this.
  19. Raleel

Raleel Member

and then so many crabby people because it hadn't gone to the backers!

20. 3rik

3rik Member

I for one am just happy to receive my backer copy of the pdf.