Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
These days, I'm literally the most boring human being you'll ever meet. And I like it that way. :thumbsup:
The few times I've been around 'real' excitement did not leave me wanting more. When I was younger I cultivated friendships with some questionable folks, just to see... and what I saw turned me right back around.

So I've had my son opening the store during the day and yesterday I come in to half a dozen people hanging out. Anyhow, there's a loud crash from the apartment behind the shop and then another, and then a hole opens up in the wall. Going over I ask what's going on and the lady who lives there says she's cold and this should be open. It's been really cold in the shop for couple weeks but the thermostat is in her apartment and she hasn't been home because she's been in jail for breaking her curfew, because she's on parole. Anyhow, I ask if I can come around and talk to her and she says yes but I run into the building manager who's going in the back door with his dog and he's yelling at her. I try to talk to her and he doesn't want me to but apparently she thinks another tenant who's schitzophrenic is being held in the basement by some woman. I tell her he's not, he's in the hospital but she tells me she can sense his presence because of his anxiety. Meanwhile the building manager is managing to be really unhelpful and interrupting rudely. So I finally take him to see the hole in my wall and he pressures me to call the cops. They say they can't do anything because it's just property damage and is covered by her damage deposit and it's the land lord's problem. They do offer to do a priority check on welfare. It takes about half an hour for the police to arrive and in the mean time the angry lady upstairs shows up to bitch about the land lord and proclaim that she's found a new place and is moving out. The police go in and talk to the crazy or stoned lady, I'm not qualified to make either assessment but eventually they leave without a word to me and I can still hear her back there, so I barricade the hole with a sheet of OSB and a table. The land lord calls and says he's getting her kicked out in 24 hours and going to court to do it. And once the store clears out a bit, I go home.

What makes me mad is that I that I think she was just alone and freaking out and needed someone to talk to. I think a ride to the hospital to see her friend would probably done more to solve the problem than the police who really can't and won't do anything. The lady upstairs and the building manager might be within their rights but they're both obnoxious pricks. What bothers me though, is that the land lord doesn't even try to get good tenants, he just rents to the first people he finds. I need to move my store. I wish I could afford to.

WOW!!! It's pretty wild when someone breaks through your back wall.... Sounds like the lady has some problem, and it was good of you to try and help even if the landlord wasn't coorperative.

She broke a hole in her wall? Yikes.

Well, when I came in today she was sitting at my painting station and painting a board. She was rambling and there were people in the store who had come to game. We tried to talk with her for a bit but she was really difficult to make sense of and so we got frustrated and started playing and she started getting annoyed that we weren't paying attention to her so she got disruptive and demanding that we pray with her and starting to sing. Finally I told her she had to leave. At that point she claimed my store was her home and her father had bought the building. I don't have a week to write every crazy thing she said tonight. I was amused that she thought my friend's tyranid miniatures had to go because they would scare away children. I had to call the cops at which point she tried to steal my computer bag claiming it was hers, accused us of kidnaping her children, accused one of my friends of raping her daughter, and finally cursing me in the name of Jesus and miming making marks of blood (so she said) on the door. I called the police to cancel the call and then we left. The problem is that I don't think the landlord can get her out, I expect the courts to be as utterly and completely useless as the police. I'm going to have to be really forceful and direct if she tries to come in again and try to not be in the store alone, and man I don't need this. I need to move my store.

schizo-affective disorder. I'm intimately familiar with it. Its not only tragic, but whats worse is that while there is medication to treat it, the side effects of the medications read like the symptoms of a medieval plague.

Dealing with crazy is just so frustrating when you care and so fuckin annoying when you don't. I have a friend with issues and it's just so sad, frustrating and time consuming. You do it because you care but it's hard. For me the hardest part was when they realized they couldn't trust their own judgement and had to call me to play back an interaction. Telling them unfortunately they were the one acting crazy sucks balls. And I think anyone here who's had to do this knows it's just very time consuming. Nothing is explained quickly and concisely. It's all dragged out, slightly out of order whatever. And all the time the only thing I keep thinking is the only thing worse than listening time after time to this is having to be the person living this.

I don't know any more, I think there's some calculation in what she does and how she does it that makes me wonder if it's just a thing she does to screw with people and get her way. It wouldn't be the first time I've run into that.

I suppose that's true but it doesn't make my situation any easier to deal with. It's a level of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" that I haven't encountered in the real world before, though it's common enough on some gaming websites I've frequented.

I suppose that's true but it doesn't make my situation any easier to deal with. It's a level of "I reject your reality and substitute my own" that I haven't encountered in the real world before, though it's common enough on some gaming websites I've frequented.
Oh I empathize. It's neither fun nor easy to deal with. We do not have a good solution for dealing with the mentally I'll in the U.S.

I'm in Canada but it's still a problem here. The government puts them on a welfare program and back into the community without much support.

This is partially the result of cutting ( and in many cases, closing) the asylums a generation ago, under the guise of human rights, but really it was a cost cutting initiative. Every western country has followed suit to some degree. Yep now its not going away anytime soon

I'm afraid that institutions of some kind will have to come back eventually. I think they could be small and in the community but they'd need to provide a room and food from a cafeteria. Spending money should be doled out on a weekly basis and increased in exchange for doing some maintenance or cafeteria work. Beyond that we're wandering into politics.

I don't know any more, I think there's some calculation in what she does and how she does it that makes me wonder if it's just a thing she does to screw with people and get her way. It wouldn't be the first time I've run into that.
I had a genuinely schizophrenic aunt, and she was incredibly manipulative. She was very smart and extremely perceptive. I think that is part of the tragedy of the condition. She would alternate between making brilliant observations and ones that were completely bonkers and they both seemed equally sound to her.

She drowned herself in front of a crowd of people a few years back while chasing an angel. A year later, her daughter, my cousin, shot herself in front of her own 2-year-old daughter over the holiday season. Since then, I have just walled myself away from anyone with those kind of conditions. It's not that I don't care. I just can't take anymore of that in my life. I feel like I am going to say something and set off another suicide.

I'm also eternally angry at my cousin for calling my sister minutes before she shot herself. My sister wasn't able to pick-up and she gets to wonder forever if it would have made a difference if she had.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone!!!

funny-gifs-whisky.gif

So sorry Baulderstone Baulderstone My wife was on the phone with my brother in law when he went crazy and she was asking herself those questions just yesterday.

As I tell my wife (who also has a larger than normal amount of chemistry background), technically alcohol is a solution.

That's really tragic, I can't blame you for not wanting to go through that again. She hasn't made any more trouble. I hope she'll be okay but I fear, without real help, she won't be.

Depression and suicide suck. I was 10 and over at a friend of a friends house when his five year old brother comes up to me and asks why his daddy turned on the car in the garage and killed himself. I recall fumbling around to try and console the kid without attacking his dad or saying something that he might blame himself for.
WTF

These days, I'm literally the most boring human being you'll ever meet. And I like it that way. :thumbsup:

In one of my classes last semester, business communications, the teacher was going around the room asking our majors and getting the class's general impressions of those jobs. I said "accounting", and the overwhelming response to that job is that its "boring." The teacher asked what I thought of that, and I said " When you've lived the kind of life I have, a bit of boring is a good thing."

If boredom means living in safety, health and happiness, untroubled by tragedy, violence, sickness or want, by all means, bring on the boredom.

I have had a blessed life. I have a good job, a great family, a few good friends (some are even gamers! :smile:) and I wouldn't dream of describing it as "boring."

Merry Christmas, everyone!

In one of my classes last semester, business communications, the teacher was going around the room asking our majors and getting the class's general impressions of those jobs. I said "accounting", and the overwhelming response to that job is that its "boring." The teacher asked what I thought of that, and I said " When you've lived the kind of life I have, a bit of boring is a good thing."
Boring it may be, but everyone always needs their numbers done. It's a very safe career path.

In Alberta right now we're glutted with accountants because all the oil field companies laid them off when they shut down. My little brother's been unemployed for almost a year now.

I just introduced my children (5,4,2,7,weeks) to Queen. Oh man they love it! Feels like a total parenting win!
That's awesome. I remember listening to Queen 8-tracks with my pals back in grade school, a very long time ago ...

I introduced them to Rush next. They loved Tom Sawyer.

I introduced them to Rush next. They loved Tom Sawyer.

Bless you, man, you're doing it right. Baby Butcher's been listening to classic rock (with the pediatrician's blessing, no less) since he was a newborn. (He seemed to really like Sweet Home Alabama.)

Can't wait for him to be a bit older, and see if he (still?) digs the classics.

Kids absorb music. My daughter got a steady diet of 80s music since she was born 15 years ago and that’s her favorite decade.

If I ever have a kid, I want to raise him or her on death metal and gangster rap.
You're going to be really popular with the other parents.

Johnny who taught you that word!
Mr Noman's boy Noboy.
You're not to play with him anymore!

Jack who taught you about a pimps love?
Noboy.
Hold on let me call the Nofamily!

You're going to be really popular with the other parents.

Johnny who taught you that word!
Mr Noman's boy Noboy.
You're not to play with him anymore!

Jack who taught you about a pimps love?
Noboy.
Hold on let me call the Nofamily!

That's it! I'm legally changing my last name to 'nofamily', and my first-born son will be 'noboy'!

That was the funniest thing I've read in days, Bunch. :grin:

That's it! I'm legally changing my last name to 'nofamily', and my first-born son will be 'noboy'!

That was the funniest thing I've read in days, Bunch. :grin:
Yeah I'm hilarious! And humble!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back