Real Life and What's Happening...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We had to put one of our two cats down today. He was sixteen years old. He's been dealing with kidney disease the past couple of years, but it was managed with medicine and a special cat food diet we had to give him. However, Saturday, he was acting strangely. Staying away from people (even his favorite human - no, not me), hiding in a living room corner, just staring. Yesterday, we noticed that he wasn't eating, walking a little oddly, and laying down in places I've never seen him lay down in in the fourteen years we've lived here, staring at the floor. We planned on taking him to the veterinarian this morning. But late last night/early this morning, he became really bad. Crying loudly a lot, barely able to move, and his head kept weaving and bobbing like he was in a never-ending boxing match. We brought some water over to him. He guzzled it all down, but then threw it all back up ten to fifteen minutes later.

We took him to the veterinarian's office this morning. The veterinarian examined him, and diagnosed him with an inoperable brain tumor. He said that the constant head bobbing and weaving was a sign of extreme vertigo. Everything was spinning for him, which is why he kept staring at the floor. He had no idea where he was. Feline brain tumors are rare, but if they occur it's usually in older male cats. He said that we could have a MRI done to confirm the tumor if we'd want, but it would have cost $4,000 and he was positive that that is what it was. We've used that veterinarian for over twenty years now, so we trust him. Talon was put to sleep this afternoon. :sad:

Sorry to hear that Apparation, had to put one of our cats with a tumour down a few years ago as well.

Last edited:
:sad: Its always tough to lose a pet, all these years it never gets easier for me.

We put our sixteen year old girl cat down this summer. Kidney failure. The four year old still talks to and about her. He's super connected to the cats and I think it hit him hard.
Losing pets sucks.

The first time I ever cried (long story, but I have an extreme emotional detachment) was upon the death of my first dog when I was eight. I still think about her.

Over the years, we've had to put down four beloved cat boys. It sucked every time, but it was always about ending their suffering after a good life of being pampered. All I can say is it deeply sucks and you never forget a great pet, but getting a new kitten rescue (or two, or three, or a pup) and showering that pet with love is the best medicine.

We had to put one of our two cats down today. He was sixteen years old. He's been dealing with kidney disease the past couple of years, but it was managed with medicine and a special cat food diet we had to give him. However, Saturday, he was acting strangely. Staying away from people (even his favorite human - no, not me), hiding in a living room corner, just staring. Yesterday, we noticed that he wasn't eating, walking a little oddly, and laying down in places I've never seen him lay down in in the fourteen years we've lived here, staring at the floor. We planned on taking him to the veterinarian this morning. But late last night/early this morning, he became really bad. Crying loudly a lot, barely able to move, and his head kept weaving and bobbing like he was in a never-ending boxing match. We brought some water over to him. He guzzled it all down, but then threw it all back up ten to fifteen minutes later.

We took him to the veterinarian's office this morning. The veterinarian examined him, and diagnosed him with an inoperable brain tumor. He said that the constant head bobbing and weaving was a sign of extreme vertigo. Everything was spinning for him, which is why he kept staring at the floor. He had no idea where he was. Feline brain tumors are rare, but if they occur it's usually in older male cats. He said that we could have a MRI done to confirm the tumor if we'd want, but it would have cost $4,000 and he was positive that that is what it was. We've used that veterinarian for over twenty years now, so we trust him. Talon was put to sleep this afternoon. :sad:

Poor little guy. Sorry to hear it.

Yeah, I had to put a cat down last year. Still breaks my heart. 16 years is a good run though.

Nod. Same for us. 16 years, good cat. Sorry for everyone’s loss in here.

Our cat was also 16 when she was put to sleep last year. I cried for days. I would call her name out occasionally when it was dinner time and I was feeding our other cat, who’s about 14. I knew she wasn’t coming but it made me feel better (I’m tearing up typing this). It’s very tough to lose a pet no matter how long you’ve had them. We had a cat that was over a year old that we had to put to sleep. It was so tough. One of the things that I hope can comfort people is that your pets, no matter what anyone says, do love you and are grateful for the home you’ve given them.

You assholes are making me tear up. Stop it. :weep:

Lunar Ronin Apparition

I'm sorry for your loss. Having to sit there all night with a sick cat must have been hell. I'm really sorry, man. :sad:

This is Roxxy...

32125866906_4e77561ce2_b.jpg

Even at 16 years old, she was still the most mischievous and playful cat I ever had the honour to live with. A damn good mouser too, no matter how much I discouraged it. For months after she passed, I still would catch myself thinking I saw her out of the corner of my eye on a regular basis.

Apparition, very sorry to hear that, and I get it. We've lost a few over the years, and I'm in tears every time. In fact, I can't remember the last time that I cried otherwise ...

My cat Merlin had to be put down last year, he was 18 yrs old and then some.
Been thru a lot with him, I was a bachelor when I got him, I saw him thru every stage of his life. He was a real roguish alley cat, but ended up being a lovable old family cat. He was a real bruiser, who became this gentle cuddly thing around my children. Couldn't have asked for a better animal companion ever. I consider myself fortunate to have known him.
So yep I'm another one who knows how it feels
Kept seeing him out of the corner of my eye for months, and even now I think I occasionally hear him up to no good outside.
One day I hope to meet the little bloke again once my curtain drops
Time takes the sting out of the bite, but the soreness is always there.
Wouldn't have it any other way

My deepest sympathies go out to Apparition at this time, and indeed to any of us who have been lucky enough to know our little canine and feline friends.

Last edited:
Yes, they actually gave me two. One that's non-see through and the other has holes and is clear.

My uncle passed away early Friday morning. I don't know what I did to 2018, but it can stop now, thanks.

so, i've been on a shitty project for like 1.5 years. I've been a task lead. while I can lead (and lead well) I'm not a great manager, and my heart is not in this one. I don't believe in the mission, and it sucks more and more, day to day.

last couple of days I've gotten to focus on the other part of my time, which is data science and analytics in cyber security. we had a big incident, and I LOVE being in thick of it. I love helping out the new folks, walking them through thought processes, seeing them learn. I've come home so happy I've noticed how my behavior changes. It's radical. I am even nice to people outside the house.

Nothing kills me more than not loving every day at work. Time to move on. Change in wife's job has impacted as well (i.e. she got one, she wasn't working for reasons that were good, she got 3 interviews off the first 3 jobs, and 3 offers). I want to come home happy and fulfilled everyday. fuck that other project.

My fiance has been in the hospital for going on six weeks as of tomorrow, the reasons aren't important and I'm sure she wouldnt want me discussing it. But I didn't realize how much it was wearing on me until tonight. I got home from seeing her and actually blacked out, something that hasn't happened to me since I went through some intensely high stress situations in my early 20s. Its odd, I'm not a very emotional person, but sometimes out of nowhere they just overwhelm me and I think "wow, where did that come from?" I'm sitting here at the computer, just trying to get my heart rate down and relax. There isn't really a point to this post, I just had to write something about it somewhere (externalize some piece of it I guess?). I can't talk about it to anyone IRL, and this place is kinda more neutral than Facebook.

Sorry to hear about everyone's losses and workplace woes. I'm not happy at my job either. Fortunately, I've been able to apply as a graphic designer at a local publisher. I hope I get the job.

In other news, today marks the 23rd time I've turned 21. *looks around* Alright, fine. I turned 44 today. :grin:

Later!

Harl

Happy Birthday Harl. 21 again, that means time to order alcohol for the first time again!

Sorry to hear about that TristramEvans TristramEvans i view this place in a similar way. I think the no politics rule changes the atmosphere a bunch, and we realize most everyone here is a lot more human than we might otherwise think.

I hope your fiance gets well soon so that stress monkey gets off your back.

I find it amusing how many of us are in the 'Celebrating 21 for 21+ years!' club.

Perhaps it's time to get the sketch book out Tristram. Sorry to hear about your problems and hope things turn out for the best. :angel:

I think we can probably manage to be enough of a compassionate community to listen to people's problems. I think, "no jeering at other people's woes" might be a reasonable enough rule. Think of "take it to live journal" posts as "+" posts where negative comments are forbidden.

I hope they have a swift recovery and all is well Tristram.

Along with everyone else here, wishing her a speedy recovery, Tristram.

I think it’s a a good idea to humanize on the internet. I think on a lot of forums, people look at each other like cartoon characters instead of flesh and blood and all sorts of nastiness comes out.

so, i've been on a shitty project for like 1.5 years. I've been a task lead. while I can lead (and lead well) I'm not a great manager, and my heart is not in this one. I don't believe in the mission, and it sucks more and more, day to day.

last couple of days I've gotten to focus on the other part of my time, which is data science and analytics in cyber security. we had a big incident, and I LOVE being in thick of it. I love helping out the new folks, walking them through thought processes, seeing them learn. I've come home so happy I've noticed how my behavior changes. It's radical. I am even nice to people outside the house.

Nothing kills me more than not loving every day at work. Time to move on. Change in wife's job has impacted as well (i.e. she got one, she wasn't working for reasons that were good, she got 3 interviews off the first 3 jobs, and 3 offers). I want to come home happy and fulfilled everyday. fuck that other project.

I hear ya, mate. Being in a managerial position (as a civil servant, in healthcare) has been very bad for my morale — I am devoid of all but a sliver of hope in the public sector. (Luckily one of my conditions to take the position was to keep my patient care appointments part-time, which is keeping me sane really.) Here's hoping you (and I!) get to return to the front lines we love, in good terms, sooner rather than later.

My fiance has been in the hospital for going on six weeks as of tomorrow, the reasons aren't important and I'm sure she wouldnt want me discussing it. But I didn't realize how much it was wearing on me until tonight. I got home from seeing her and actually blacked out, something that hasn't happened to me since I went through some intensely high stress situations in my early 20s. Its odd, I'm not a very emotional person, but sometimes out of nowhere they just overwhelm me and I think "wow, where did that come from?" I'm sitting here at the computer, just trying to get my heart rate down and relax. There isn't really a point to this post, I just had to write something about it somewhere (externalize some piece of it I guess?). I can't talk about it to anyone IRL, and this place is kinda more neutral than Facebook.

Severe illness of a loved one is one of the most taxing experiences one can live through. I wish her a full and speedy recovery, and peace of mind to you both.

Sorry to hear about everyone's losses and workplace woes. I'm not happy at my job either. Fortunately, I've been able to apply as a graphic designer at a local publisher. I hope I get the job.

In other news, today marks the 23rd time I've turned 21. *looks around* Alright, fine. I turned 44 today. :grin:

Later!

Harl

Happy birthday! Hope you get the job too!

I hear ya, mate. Being in a managerial position (as a civil servant, in healthcare) has been very bad for my morale — I am devoid of all but a sliver of hope in the public sector. (Luckily one of my conditions to take the position was to keep my patient care appointments part-time, which is keeping me sane really.) Here's hoping you (and I!) get to return to the front lines we love, in good terms, sooner rather than later.

yep, that was a big part of mine - getting to stay in the thick of it.

Ironically, today a coworker and long time friend said he was going to put my name forward for cyber architect. I almost took that job 2 years ago at another location/company. Think I might this time.

I'm not a prayin' fella, but I'll send some thoughts out into the Aether, and I do hope things turn toward the better for everyone.

Sorry to hear about that Tristram, best wishes.

Raleel Raleel Being a manager, with employees you don't like or even respect, sucks. I put up with that far longer at my previous job but then realized it was just making me miserable so I quit and got a different (and better paying!) job in another province. Enjoying being responsible for just myself more or less and working with people as peers again. People who haven't been managers don't appreciate how shitty it can be.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

This might amuse the more childish among us. I just purchased a used Suburban. The settings are all managed through the drivers information center (DIC). All the settings are off so i need to make changes. That's right folks I'm spending the morning playing with my DIC.
Really who at Chevy thought that was a a good acronym?

My wife's doing a lot of eye rolling.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back