(Recruitment) Dark Dungeons Play-By-Post Campaign

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Doc Sammy

White Trash Weeb
Reaction score
Alright, after a long time sitting on my ass and mulling over many different ideas and systems, I have decided to pick a system and stick to one campaign to get my feet wet. And that system is Dark Dungeons (a clone of BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia D&D), which I own on PDF and softcover.

The setting is a generic homebrew setting of mine inspired by Ravenloft and similar fare. It's a mix of Gothic Horror, Survival Horror, and traditional Halloween spookiness. All players start at Level One, and the game will be a mix of sandbox and survival horror.

For character creation, we'll roll 3d6 in order. The following classes are in play....

Fighter
Magic-User
Cleric
Thief
Mystic

Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings are present in the setting but are comparatively rare and as such are reserved for NPC's.

Gameplay will be done through a mix of chat and forum posts, and as for dice, I will try to find a reliable dice roller, I could roll the dice and post the results, or we could be on the honor system.

Anybody interested?

radishes? like for real, radishes? like, no-take-backsies radishes? you going to radish the radish radish out of all these radishes and completely commit to a radish, radishes? o_O

i no longer know what i feel... :confused: :eek:

can i roll up a radish seed to see if it grows into a radish? ;) i promise not to play an exotic radish, those pointy ear ones or bearded radishes. :smile:

radishes? like for real, radishes? like, no-take-backsies radishes? you going to radish the radish radish out of all these radishes and completely commit to a radish, radishes? o_O

i no longer know what i feel... :confused: :eek:

can i roll up a radish seed to see if it grows into a radish? ;) i promise not to play an exotic radish, those pointy ear ones or bearded radishes. :smile:

Yes, I am totally committing to this one and you can plant your radishes at last!

Heh, well I don't know if the radishes will make as much sense as garlic, but no metagaming! I'll roll up something and take what I get. Then I'll determine quirks from there. :smile:

Stick with it! We're not gonna be too difficult as players. ;)

Heh, well I don't know if the radishes will make as much sense as garlic, but no metagaming! I'll roll up something and take what I get. Then I'll determine quirks from there. :smile:

Stick with it! We're not gonna be too difficult as players. ;)

I will definitely stick with this one. And I look forward to having you all as my players.

I'm interested. I've never done d&d horror only d&d or Cthulhu but sounds intriguing

Do you have a dice roller or dice room to check out our 3d6 straight down?

Otherwise I got:
STR 10
DEX 15
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 10
CHA 13

sigh... disappoint. not a single stat below 8. :sad: the dice gods hate me.

I guess I'm a Human Thief. At least I'm charming -- rakish, even!

Do you have a dice roller or dice room to check out our 3d6 straight down?

Otherwise I got:
STR 10
DEX 15
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 10
CHA 13

sigh... disappoint. not a single stat below 8. :sad: the dice gods hate me.

I guess I'm a Human Thief. At least I'm charming -- rakish, even!

I don't have a dice roller yet, but those stats are acceptable for now and it's always good to have a thief in the party!

Strength 9
Dex 10
Con 9
Int 13
Wis 7
Cha 11

Human wizard.

Both characters are accepted and I'm glad to have you all on board!

Hah! Nine, ten, nine physical stats for the both of you. Biggest difference is you're the opposites in INT & WIS. Sweet, I got the cast of "Eureka!" with me -- we're all gonna die! :p

Now we just need some sucker fighter/s to protect our collective asses, while we all criticize how it's done! Whee! :grin:

Wanna pool $ and rent some trap chickens, er, I mean hirelings? :smile:

Should I make a thread to post character sheets in now?

BTW, the Dark Dungeons PDF is free.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/177410/Dark-Dungeons

Doc, any thoughts on setting we should know about? AKA, background stuff, nations, deities, etc?

Wanna pool $ and rent some trap chickens, er, I mean hirelings? :smile:

Hell yeah!

Doc, how are you doing starting gold?

Should I make a thread to post character sheets in now?

Soon. But first post us some chargen outline ideas in your OP so we can best write our 10 page character stories!

BTW, the Dark Dungeons PDF is free.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/177410/Dark-Dungeons

Doc, any thoughts on setting we should know about? AKA, background stuff, nations, deities, etc?

Hell yeah!

Doc, how are you doing starting gold?

Soon. But first post us some chargen outline ideas in your OP so we can best write our 10 page character stories!

I will be posting some setting details soon, and as for gold, 3d6 x 10 would determine your starting amount.

I rolled a 10 on 3d6, (6,2,2). 10 x 10 = 100 GP.

So... Sammy, what's the deal on Mercenaries? Why are they like "3gp/month," while Hirelings are like "200 gp per mission (OR wilderness month)?"

There is an assumption Mercenaries are more than one soldier rented as a group, but no defined value beyond that pricing. So we assume 1 soldier at "3gp/month"? And they come already equipped?

Hirelings then are weirdly costed. And Mercenaries are a little too loosely explained. What is your ruling here?

(Also, if left alone we will likely try to rent a squad of Goblin Light Footmen for a month! :p And if that seems too small, I think we can afford a platoon of them. :grin:)

I rolled a 10 on 3d6, (6,2,2). 10 x 10 = 100 GP.

So... Sammy, what's the deal on Mercenaries? Why are they like "3gp/month," while Hirelings are like "200 gp per mission (OR wilderness month)?"

There is an assumption Mercenaries are more than one soldier rented as a group, but no defined value beyond that pricing. So we assume 1 soldier at "3gp/month"? And they come already equipped?

Hirelings then are weirdly costed. And Mercenaries are a little too loosely explained. What is your ruling here?

(Also, if left alone we will likely try to rent a squad of Goblin Light Footmen for a month! :p And if that seems too small, I think we can afford a platoon of them. :grin:)

I hadn't thought of that, to be honest. I will think of something and make a ruling though.

Aren't mercenaries the guys you hire to stay outside the dungeon and watch your stuff and hirelings go inside which explains the cost difference. Hirelings die more. Mercs sit.

Gold roll = 6,1,6 = 13, x10= 130gp

Aren't mercenaries the guys you hire to stay outside the dungeon and watch your stuff and hirelings go inside which explains the cost difference. Hirelings die more. Mercs sit.

Uh, no. They explicitly say they are also used for attacks, such as future mass battles and conquest. :smile: Good try helping the GM though!

(Which would just have had us claiming our stuff to guard was "deep inside this dungeon! C'mon guys, time to garrison the 7th floor basement!" :p Because players are ingenious! Better clarity now and nip future contortions in the bud. <---- Look Sammy, freebie advice! We're nice players! Promise! :grin: )

Don't worry, I'm not worried about you guys being troublesome players. If anything, I welcome it.

I've been very sick lately, so forgive me if my posts have been sluggish and so few and far between.

Don't worry, I'm not worried about you guys being troublesome players. If anything, I welcome it.

I've been very sick lately, so forgive me if my posts have been sluggish and so few and far between.
I'm about to be a dad again in two weeks. I'll be on but maybe not lucid.

I'm about to be a dad again in two weeks. I'll be on but maybe not lucid.

Congratulations! It's alright if you're not on very much, Real Life always comes first!

And once again, congratulations on becoming a father again!

It's number four. The excitement and terror of a newborn have given way to amusement and annoyance. One the positive this is the last one and knowing that makes even the annoying bits more enjoyable. On the negative is crap the light at the end of the tunnel was sooooo close before being run over by the baby train yet again.

Does the lack of lucidity mean we'll be riding fast and loose the Crazy Train to RPG Funtown? :p

You know you want to lean on that accelerator as much as I do! :grin:

Does the lack of lucidity mean we'll be riding fast and loose the Crazy Train to RPG Funtown? :p

You know you want to lean on that accelerator as much as I do! :grin:
One of my campaign ideas is an ancient dragon who finds a pocket dimension to call home because he's on the run from the God's. He's addicted to snorting the bones of powerful mages and helps mages grow in power to provide a steady supply. All the world thinks he's a great guy never suspecting why he's so helpful

Opaopajr's Dark Dungeons Thief
Just gotta spend money now.

Name: ?. Class: Thief! Align: NG
Lv: 1. HP: 4 AC: 7

STR 10
DEX 15 Init Mod +1
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 10
CHA 13 Max Hire 5. Hire Mrle 8. React Mod +1.

Eq Restrict: Any 1-H & missile weapons. leather armor.
HD: 1d4+CON until 9th lvl (2 HP thereafter)
BAB: +1. Skill: 4+INT. Weap Feat: 2 (basic only). Sneak Attk: +4 atk, x2 dmg.

Thieves' Skills
OL: 15. FT: 10. RT: 10. CW: 87. MS: 20. HIS: 10. PP: 20. HN: 30. RL: - UMS: -

Saves
DR/POI: 13. WAND: 14. PETPARA: 13. BRTH: 16. ROD/STF/SPL: 15

Learned Weapons: Basic Club, Basic Cestus.

Learned Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Riding - Horse.

Wealth: 100 GP (-20 gp leather...)

Armor: Leather, AC 7, 20 gp, 200 cn.

Weapons:
2x Cesti,
Torches (rules like clubs), 2 sp, 20 cn, 1 hr light 30'.

Equipment:
Common Clothes, starting free, 20 cn.

Encumbrance: 240? cn / out of 400 cn.

Bio:

Last edited:
Are we rolling for how or max at 1st level?

Done!

Name: Antoine. Class: Thief! Align: NG
STR 10
DEX 15 Init Mod +1
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 10

Thieves' Skills

Saves

Learned Weapons Feats:
Cestus = Basic (a/v). to-hit -/-. dmg 1d3/1d3. off-hand Y/Y
Club = Basic (a/v). to-hit -/-. dmg 1d4/1d4. AC+ -/-. Deflect -/-. Hurl -/-.

Wealth: 100 gp - 86.8 gp = 13.2 gp left

Weapons:
2x Cestus - 5 gp, 10 cn
Torch - 2 sp, 20 cn. same stats & feats as club. 30' light = 1 hour.

Equipment:

clothes
Clothes (peasant), free, 20 cn.
Belt, 2 sp, 5 cn;
Boots (plain), 2 gp, 10 cn;
Cloak (short), 5 sp, 10 cn;

bags
Backpack (holds 400 cn) 5 gp, 20 cn;
3x Purse (holds 50 cn), 5 sp, 2 cn;
Sack (holds 200 cn), 1 gp, 1 cn;
Waterskin (full, 1 day), 1 gp, 30 cn

gear
Hammer (small), 2 gp, 10 cn;
4x Iron Spike, 1 sp, 5 cn;
Mirror (steel), 5 gp, 5 cn;
Thieves' Tools, 25 gp, 10 cn;
Tinder Box, 3 gp, 5 cn;
Torch, 2 sp, 20 cn;

Encumbrance: 392 cn / 400 cn.

Bio: Baby daddy gotta make good to feed the children. Off to bring money or get outta the way.

Done!

Name: Antoine. Class: Thief! Align: NG
STR 10
DEX 15 Init Mod +1
CON 10
INT 11
WIS 10

Thieves' Skills

Saves

Learned Weapons Feats:
Cestus = Basic (a/v). to-hit -/-. dmg 1d3/1d3. off-hand Y/Y
Club = Basic (a/v). to-hit -/-. dmg 1d4/1d4. AC+ -/-. Deflect -/-. Hurl -/-.

Wealth: 100 gp - 86.8 gp = 13.2 gp left

Weapons:
2x Cestus - 5 gp, 10 cn
Torch - 2 sp, 20 cn. same stats & feats as club. 30' light = 1 hour.

Equipment:

clothes
Clothes (peasant), free, 20 cn.
Belt, 2 sp, 5 cn;
Boots (plain), 2 gp, 10 cn;
Cloak (short), 5 sp, 10 cn;

bags
Backpack (holds 400 cn) 5 gp, 20 cn;
3x Purse (holds 50 cn), 5 sp, 2 cn;
Sack (holds 200 cn), 1 gp, 1 cn;
Waterskin (full, 1 day), 1 gp, 30 cn

gear
Hammer (small), 2 gp, 10 cn;
4x Iron Spike, 1 sp, 5 cn;
Mirror (steel), 5 gp, 5 cn;
Thieves' Tools, 25 gp, 10 cn;
Tinder Box, 3 gp, 5 cn;
Torch, 2 sp, 20 cn;

Encumbrance: 392 cn / 400 cn.

Bio: Baby daddy gotta make good to feed the children. Off to bring money or get outta the way.

Accepted!

/sigh

Seems like everyone else is preoccupied. Oh well, I can play in a party of one, with hirelings.Can I bring two PCs, this one and my radish farmer? Then we can double team and whoop ass!
:grin:

/sigh

Seems like everyone else is preoccupied. Oh well, I can play in a party of one, with hirelings.Can I bring two PCs, this one and my radish farmer? Then we can double team and whoop ass!
:grin:

Sure, we can work out something like that.

Sorry I'm late!

KLONDARIK THE WANDERER
Chaotic Cleric, 1st level, HP 6

KLONDARIK was chosen to be a Templar of the Half-Moon Goddess. She tasked him to wander the world, slaying the undead and other foulness who use her blessed moonlight to hunt without her permission. Klondarik can barely read the holy scrolls, but he is cunning in the ways of man, beast and the magical lands.

Strength 9
Dex 10
Con 9
Int 7 = -1
Wis 15 = +1 bonus, +5% XP
Cha 9 = 4 max hirelings, morale 7, reaction +0

ATTACK BONUS = +1
ARMOR CLASS = 2 (Plate + Shield)
WEAPON FEATS = Sling (D4), Mace (D6)
SKILLS = Cooking, Navigating, Tracking, Language (TBD based on campaign)

SAVES
Death Ray/Poison = 11
Magic Wands = 12
Paralysis / Petrify = 14
Breath Weapon = 16
Rod / Staff / Spells = 15

TURN UNDEAD
Skeleton 7, Zombie 9, Ghoul 11

GEAR
Sling w/20 bullets (4gp)
Mace (5gp)
Plate Armor (60gp)
Shield (10gp)
Holy Symbol (25gp) - my goddress loves her bling!
Backpack (5gp)
Waterskin (1gp)

5 torches (1gp)
Tinder box (3gp)
Dagger (3gp) - butcher's knife for cooking
Peasant's Clothes (5sp), Belt (2 sp), Short Cloak (5 sp), Hat (2 sp),
Cooking pot, 3 spoons, 3 bowls (??? gp)

Silver for beer = 6
Gold for Mercenaries = 13!!

Klondarik the Wanderer, son of Klondike the Ice Cream Bar! I am Antoine, one so young yet with too many children to feed. Well met and to the front rank with you with your heavy armor! Soon the winds will foretell our fortune of hiring a mercenary man, at exorbitant expense! :eek: -- or settling on a platoon of goblin infantry for a month. :grin:

(I sorta want the goblin infantry platoon now. :oops: )

(We are also roundly fucked when it comes to encumbrance and may have to pool money for a donkey first. :sad: )

Sorry I'm late!

KLONDARIK THE WANDERER
Chaotic Cleric, 1st level, HP 6

KLONDARIK was chosen to be a Templar of the Half-Moon Goddess. She tasked him to wander the world, slaying the undead and other foulness who use her blessed moonlight to hunt without her permission. Klondarik can barely read the holy scrolls, but he is cunning in the ways of man, beast and the magical lands.

Strength 9
Dex 10
Con 9
Int 7 = -1
Wis 15 = +1 bonus, +5% XP
Cha 9 = 4 max hirelings, morale 7, reaction +0

ATTACK BONUS = +1
ARMOR CLASS = 2 (Plate + Shield)
WEAPON FEATS = Sling (D4), Mace (D6)
SKILLS = Cooking, Navigating, Tracking, Language (TBD based on campaign)

SAVES
Death Ray/Poison = 11
Magic Wands = 12
Paralysis / Petrify = 14
Breath Weapon = 16
Rod / Staff / Spells = 15

TURN UNDEAD
Skeleton 7, Zombie 9, Ghoul 11

GEAR
Sling w/20 bullets (4gp)
Mace (5gp)
Plate Armor (60gp)
Shield (10gp)
Holy Symbol (25gp) - my goddress loves her bling!
Backpack (5gp)
Waterskin (1gp)

5 torches (1gp)
Tinder box (3gp)
Dagger (3gp) - butcher's knife for cooking
Peasant's Clothes (5sp), Belt (2 sp), Short Cloak (5 sp), Hat (2 sp),
Cooking pot, 3 spoons, 3 bowls (??? gp)

Silver for beer = 6
Gold for Mercenaries = 13!!

Accepted!

Ok, it's you and me, Spinachcat... and an NPC/PC soldier-colonist with a handful of radishes and a dream. :mad: I think we got this! :cool:

(Can we have a goblin infantry platoon? Or at least a donkey? :oops:smile:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back