Thanksgiving - What are you making?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

CRKrueger

Eläytyminatör
Reaction score
So it's that time of year. Do you do the cooking? If so, what are you going to make?
Feel free to link to your Turkey/Stuffing/recipe etc of choice.

I was thinking this year of shelling out some cash for a free-range organic turkey and see how different it is. I always brine and make stuffing in the bird.

I also thought about going crazy and getting a Turducken. Anyone ever done one of those?

Mother in law bought a turkey. she normally does it up. I'll be picking up some stuff from a local BBQ place that I like very much. their banana pudding and pickles are frankly quite amazing.

as for a turducken, I've never done it, but both of my fathers have.

Last edited:
Turducken?
Not sure that even exists outside of North America; and with good reason, considering the name, heh heh (juvenile laughter ensures)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone over there

Last edited:
Thanksgiving was last month up here in the Great White North, but I did some cooking - made stuffed lobster tails, crab and shrimp wontons with plum dipping sauce, rice pilaf, caesar salad, and pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert.

We don't do Thanksgiving, but it's grilling season down here. And I still haven't grilled a chicken to my satisfaction.

Well its Beers 'n' BBQ season down here in Australia. So maybe its kinda like Thanksgiving here for the next six months. Sort of. Probably just a lot hotter

It's just the two of us - no kids, no relatives nearby - so we've been moving to simpler meals over the years. We'll probably buy our usual Gardein "Savory Stuffed Turk'y" and roast some veggies. There's typically a pie of some kind as well - usually pumpkin or apple. Then we watch one or two MST3k "turkeys" - always "Riding With Death," and sometimes another one if we're settled in on the couch for the evening.

As usual, my girlfriend and I will berserk and make a feast for 8 people and our only guest will be the cat. Fortunately, we like leftovers. Every year we promise ourselves that we will be more sensible, but once I start cranking in the kitchen, it just makes sense to do the larger portions - almost the same work.

I used to get fancy with stuffing, but we never really appreciated the avante garde dressings vs. the traditional "let's just shove a loaf of bread up its ass" method.

But I kinda get vegetarians when I look at a T-day bird. It's pretty fucking barbaric...but tasty.

Shit it doesnt sound like a good time to be a turkey in the States :p

My dad grew up on a farm. As a small boy, he had to feed the chickens who pecked his legs, feet and toes, often causing him to bleed. As a teen, he got to kill the chickens by twisting their heads off. His wisdom to me? Fuck chickens. They're assholes.

Dad really loves eating chicken. Vengeance is a dish best served fried or braised.

We are going to my wife's cousin's house for Thanksgiving, I believe. It's the usual delicious fare.

My dad grew up on a farm. As a small boy, he had to feed the chickens who pecked his legs, feet and toes, often causing him to bleed. As a teen, he got to kill the chickens by twisting their heads off. His wisdom to me? Fuck chickens. They're assholes.

Dad really loves eating chicken. Vengeance is a dish best served fried or braised.

His wisdom to me? Fuck chickens. They're assholes.

I worked on a farm during the summers as a kid, and I can say that chickens are assholes, but not as big as geese. Geese are motherf****ers. They will run right at your crotch, every time.

My grandparents are coming up from Clintwood to Roanoke for this Thanksgiving. Mom is going to make a traditional dinner with turkey and ham, and we're also going to have rolls and stuffing.

As much as I dislike Thanksgiving and its Puritan roots on a personal level, I'm still celebrating this year because I am looking forward to seeing my grandparents, whom I love and care for very much.

Geese are motherf****ers. They will run right at your crotch, every time.
No doubt. My parents had a couple of geese when I was growing up, and the male was a complete asshole. Probably his efforts to 'protect his mate'. Always would charge you if you came within 20 feet, honking and making a racket - regardless of what you were doing at the time. A broom would discourage him pretty quickly, though.

Geese are mudermachaines with the disposition of that drunk, belligerent asshole at the local bar who wants to take a swing at you for no logical reason whatsoever.

Also, they have teeth on their tongues!

cool-geese-teeth-tongue-scary.jpg

They're the stuff of nightmares.

yeah, their bite is surprisingly painful. I was taught by a farmhand the best way to deal with them is wait until they've charged, then just as they've almost reached you, grab them by the neck and lightly toss them behind you. It disorients them and deters any counter-attacks.

Speaking of jerk animals. male goats during mating season. Its not just that they are aggressive and territorial (when you are trying to feed them!), its that to attract females they urinate all over themselves for weeks so its like being attacked by a hairy public toilet with horns.

Speaking of jerk animals. male goats during mating season. Its not just that they are aggressive and territorial (when you are trying to feed them!), its that to attract females they urinate all over themselves for weeks so its like being attacked by a hairy public toilet with horns.
I've never been that close to a male goat, but I have seen that.... behavior with my brother's goats. A few years back, he had a male with a white coat that we dubbed "Yellow Beard". Just a disgusting animal, but the females sure found it attractive.

yeah, their bite is surprisingly painful. I was taught by a farmhand the best way to deal with them is wait until they've charged, then just as they've almost reached you, grab them by the neck and lightly toss them behind you. It disorients them and deters any counter-attacks.
That makes me think of my buddies daughter. They went to his Mom's house out in the country. The neighbors jerk duck came over. Usually it's a nuisance, and a real pain to deal with. Well the duck met its match in Andy's daughter. She grabbed it by the neck and held it in the air, shaking it, screaming "Duck! Duck! Duck!". Yeah that pretty much fixed the local nuisance duck problem.

This year we're dong something a little different.

We're planning on eating THE SOULS OF OF OUR ENEMIES!!! for Thanksgiving. :evil:

And maybe a Tofurky roast or something. :eat:

Anyway, happy Thanks to those of you who partake, happy Thanks even if you don't, and Happy Holidays to all of you if I don't see you before next year. :thumbsup:

Peace out, and stay safe out there.

Last edited:
I'm going to Thanksgiving at my friends' house. It's a bit of a potluck, but they always waaay overdue things... invite lots of people and plan elaborate meals... then are disappointed when only a few of us show up.
Anyway, I'm making roasted root vegetables, cranberry slaw, shortcake, something with peas... and a tofurkey with gravy, then driving it 30 miles to their house.

I'm going to some friends as well, and they're handling most of the cooking. Yay! I'm going to try my hand at making a pear tart or pie to bring along. Don't really have a lot of skill when it comes to making desserts, but challenge accepted...

I'm going to some friends as well, and they're handling most of the cooking. Yay! I'm going to try my hand at making a pear tart or pie to bring along. Don't really have a lot of skill when it comes to making desserts, but challenge accepted...

Bakery is less forgiving than cooking in general, but if you stick to the measures and procedures you should do fine.

Pie crust is easy enough and you can fill it with whatever you want. When doing apples or pears I like pre-cooking the filling — until most or all moisture evaporates; it's one way to get it not to leak all over your crust.

I just dice the fruit into cubes and toss it in a pan or skillet, low heat, with a little butter, sugar and cinnamon to taste, and other stuff if you're feeling frisky (star anise, cardamom, etc. — I'd keep it simple if it's your first). Dump inside a dough-covered spring form, cover and bake at a low, low oven setting. And check on it often.

Last edited:
Told my girlfriend's mom that I would cook her sweet potatoes in return for being allowed to bring my spanakopita.

This is my first holiday feast as a diabetic, so I'm not looking forward to all the delicious desserts I'm not going to be able to touch.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back