Warhammer Fantasy RPG 4th edition

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Games' started by TristramEvans, Aug 23, 2017.

1. zweihander

zweihander Member

Off-topic, but I hear what you're saying. Frankly, I'm doing C7 a service. Their marketing (what little of it there is across social media) is sorely lacking. It certainly helps that I draw in a large number of unique visits to my website every month (especially compared to Strike To Stun, the net's largest Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay forum). I can almost guarantee you that viewership from my website is growing interest back into WFRP 4e for Cubicle 7. In fact, I've been contemplating turning https://grimandperilous.com into a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay news site (in all its forms), and moving Zweihänder and other properties I'm working on over to a different website.

In full transparency, the ancillary benefit is for search engine listings with Zweihänder and attracting new customers.

2. TristramEvans

TristramEvans Goosebuster Moderator

lol, no kidding.

Anyways, whens that next Kickstarter planned? Need to get one of those nice HC copies, trying to read it on pdf just aint doing it for me.

zweihander likes this.
  3. zweihander

zweihander Member

I'll have an announcement about the GM screen, spell cards (!) and our next supplement within the next couple of weeks. One of our stretch goals is to raise enough money to do a 20k print run (as our last print run of 11k books ran out once we shipped them out for retail).

We'll also have the errata updated and the irritating carriage returns/niggling cases of and/an fixed in our PDF, and in the new hardback as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. Simlasa

Simlasa Active Member

I've found the whole Zweihander 'marketing blitz' tacky... and it's only served to kill my interest in something I might otherwise have been attracted to.

Ulairi, Nick J and OHT like this.
  5. Spinachcat

Spinachcat Well-Known Member

Zwei is uber-tacky, but the marketing is working. Selling 11k of RPGs to retail in 2017? Hot damn. That's no joke for an indie publisher.

6. OHT

OHT Active Member

Indeed. I've got the dick on ignore.

Simlasa likes this.
  7. The Butcher

The Butcher Legendary Member

Mr. Fox can be... strident in his enthusiasm, be it genuine or business-driven. But the game is aces.

8. Simlasa

Simlasa Active Member

Too bad he annoyed me to such a point before I ever got a look at it... AFAIAC he pissed in the trough and I'm not inclined to drink from it... but they made their money so who cares.

9. Ladybird

Ladybird Well-Known Member

If the worst thing he's doing is posting too much, well... he's not the first or the last to do so, or even the egregious (On other forums, anyway). He's not hurting anyone, although I do agree he could maybe tone it down a bit.

10. Simlasa

Simlasa Active Member

It's a bit more than that. But if it doesn't bother you then, meh.

11. Ladybird

It's cool, I understand where people are coming from - the reposting thing is kinda tacky, frex. I think it will be better if he splits the "fan site" and "marketing organ" sides into separate sites. The Pundit baiting was also a dick move, full stop..

12. OHT

OHT Active Member

When i was mod at the other place i was always getting complaints about his shilling on the forum. I mention it in a thread and he sends me a threatening PM about removing his 'banner ad money'. As if that actually gives him a right to stink up the forums with his constant shilling.

Considering what he did later, i'm not even too happy that he's on this site.

Ladybird likes this.
  13. Ladybird

OK, I did not know that. Thank you for the information.

OHT likes this.
  14. The Butcher

The Butcher Legendary Member

I did not know that. Super dick move.

OHT likes this.
  15. zweihander

zweihander Member

I rarely engage in forum drama, but let me be clear: I am more than happy to respond to criticism about Zweihander and my marketing approach. However, I can assure you that despite whatever Pundit has claimed about me “doxxing him”, it is patently false. I have better things to do with my time - a job, a family and more Zweihander to write.

You can disagree with my marketing approach, and that’s perfectly fine. But you should consider the source and the history of the accuser before putting your faith into this claim.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  16. zweihander

zweihander Member

Are you referring to me pulling banner ad money from TheRPGSite after its site creator (read: RPGPundit) made it his personal crusade to badmouth my game without having ever read it? You’re damn right I pulled ad money. Why would I support a site where its creator was actively denigrating a RPG he’d never lain eyes on or was given a copy to review?

It’s one thing to give constructive criticism about a game you’ve read or its writer’s marketing approach. I actively invite it, and encourage honest, constructive reviews from anyone who receives a free copy. It’s another to bash a game RPGPundit has never read - particularly when he prides himself with being an honest reviewer. I dare say that it’s even worse form to write patently false (and frankly, illegal) claims about doxxing as a result of ad money being pulled, or as a means to raise personal stock.

You clearly don’t have the full story. I would encourage you to cleave closer to understanding the details, and consider the source.

17. Endless Flight

Endless Flight Mischievous Admin Administrator Moderator

::warning:: cross-forum drama detected ::warning::

Mankcam, Nick J, Apparition and 3 others like this.
  18. zweihander

zweihander Member

It has no place here, you are right. People do not have the full story, because I don’t regularly participate in these sort of discussions. It’s a distraction.

I am happy to take this offline or no longer participate in this discussion. Let me know how you would like this handled, and I will honor it.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Mrfish likes this.
  19. TristramEvans

Lets just go back to the game discussion and not continue this tangent.

Raleel, Mankcam, Ronin and 1 other person like this.
  20. OHT

OHT Active Member

As i knew you'd lie about this, i thought i better respond - and sorry to Tristram. I will not post here again after this.

The only story i'm talking about is when i raised the concerns of some posters to you shilling and you sent me a threatening PM. That was in September 2016. No idea when you and Pundy started in on each other. Don't care about that either.

Raising this concern in this thread is certainly germaine to the conversation when others previous to me have raised concerns about your marketting. My post was about your marketting - not your spat with Pundit (although i made passing reference to it).

Tata.

21. Endless Flight

Hey, doesn’t that upcoming Warhammer Fantasy 4th edition game look interesting?

22. zweihander

zweihander Member

There a great conversation happening over on the WFRP1e Facebook group where Graeme goes into further detail about The Enemy Within. It’s not only being translated to 4e stats, but also being rewritten in places. C7 has been very open to his ideas. I cannot spill too many details about my conversation with him (as he is a contributor to my next supplement), but we are going to see something truly special beyond what TEW presuppposed for its ending.

TristramEvans likes this.
  23. Voros

Voros Well-Known Member

Very cool that Davis is part of it, always a good sign when they bring in the original designers like WoTC did with Hickman for Curse of Strahd. I actually dig the starter set cover more, although I realize the second cover is a direct homage to the 1e cover.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  24. TristramEvans

I was honestly kind of hoping that the artist they used for LOTR, Jon Hodgson (who I know from the Dragon Warriors re-release), would have been used as the primary artist for the new Warhammer Fantasy. His style, while not exactly matching up with the early Warhammer art, has that sort of moody classic dark fantasy feel to it; like Angus McBride meets Geoff Taylor.

[​IMG]

25. Baulderstone

Baulderstone Legendary Member

Yes. While the cover they are using does look more like the original cover, that Hodgson picture looks more like WFRP, the game itself.

26. Voros

Voros Well-Known Member

The art for TOR is terrific. I often want to puchase the books just for the beatiful art.

27. evilgaz

evilgaz New Member

Yeah, the consistent art of TOR is great (although I actually like the game too!), and is a feature I rate in rpgs.

Chatting to folks about WFRP at Dragonmeet at the weekend, I didn't get much more detail prized out of folk than the last Cubicle 7 announcement - in that it isn't going to be a straight republish of 1st/2nd, but they're looking at a deeper edit, with "opportunities to add in some of the things we’ve learned over the years". Good stuff from my point of view. Sad news, is that pushes it back to mid '18, but for me, I'd rather that and a nicely revised game, than something sooner which is essentially a reprint of old stuff (coming from the privileged position of having my hands on all the old stuff).

zweihander likes this.
  28. zweihander

zweihander Member

29. zweihander

zweihander Member

Strike to Stunner 'Skerrigan" attended the Cubicle 7 seminar, and provides the scoop:
    • The covers we saw are the final version, as is the new logo. Anyone who doesn't like the new logo is a heretic. Very Happy

• The Slayer, Morrite priest, Witch Hunter and... other girl (noble?) from the cover don't have names, but may get them. They will probably be reused like the old D&D iconics throughout the book (as in we'll see these characters a lot in the artwork).

• The Enemy Within: Director's Cut will be a multi-volume series like the original, possibly concluding in 2020. Nothing is set in stone, but it will be essentially a reprint of the original with all-new content also being added, and alterations with a view to the fact people have played the campaign before.

• Lustria, Norsca etc. are on the table for supplements, but again nothing specific.

• Hopefully more 1E PDFs. Marienburg Sold Down the River was enthusiastically requested, though it may mean Dominic has to sacrifice his personal copy to the great god of the scanner.

• I asked some specific questions about Warpstone and so forth but unsurprisingly there wasn't much that could be said. One gentleman mentioned that WFRP2e's bestiary was brilliant, and that hopefully it will be used as a reference for WFRP4e's bestiary. I also mentioned the Skaven were already overused in WFRP.
    http://forum.strike-to-stun.net/viewtopic.php?t=6135

30. TristramEvans

No such thing

Baulderstone likes this.
  31. Ladybird

Can't overuse something that doesn't exist.

zweihander and TristramEvans like this.
  32. zweihander

zweihander Member

The pessimist in me is sorta sad that all's we are hearing about is a re-visitation of old material. As a huge WFRP grognard, I do want to see updated adventures and all. I am hoping that they do something new and exciting - especially with Graeme onboard.

33. Charlie D

Charlie D Active Member

Not me. I really like the Enemy Within campaign but I would have a hard time getting my group to play Warhammer 1st edition. I can't wait to run TEW again but with updated rules.

And the one Cubicle 7 handles things, I know new stuff will be on the way. I'd really like solid material and adventures to run in the Empire first followed by more material on other locations. And I want adventures and locations a lot more than added rules (a book of new careers or more magic for example).

I want to spend most of my time actually playing and a lot less time trying to absorb new rules.

zweihander likes this.
  34. zweihander

zweihander Member

Join reddit's first-ever Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Three Page Fiction Contest! Prizes galore, including:

* £30 gift voucher from Games Workshop
    * Steam Key (for games such as Vermintide, Mordheim: City of the Damned, Total War: Warhammer, Man'o War)
    * Warhammer Chronicles novel of your choice
    * Zweihänder Grim & Perilous RPG Kickstarter-exclusive copy

Further prizes may follow from Fat Shark, Cubicle 7 Entertainment, Rogue Factor and Evil Twin Artworks

The Butcher and TristramEvans like this.
  35. zweihander

zweihander Member

36. Simlasa

Simlasa Active Member

Why? They've tried it and don't like it?

'Updated' how? I'm always seeing people say 'updated' and I don't quite get it... it's as if rules go bad, like milk. Or there is some current software they need to be able to function with.

Nick J likes this.
  37. Endless Flight

Please, keep this thread for our discussion and not copies from other forum and communities, especially long posts or threads. If it’s really necessary for you to point out something at another site, please just submit a link to the thread or page and a small description. This actually is the rule for the whole forum and perhaps I should have stated it before. My apologies. Now get back to talking about games.

Raleel, zweihander and Nick J like this.
  38. Charlie D

Charlie D Active Member

I don't have my rulebook in front of me. But I know some characters can start with one skill. And others start with a huge list like outlaw. If you have players who don't mind having one character have one skill and another have eight to start that's great. But that does not work for a lot of people and I can see their point.

If the rules get updated and all character.s get a good range of starting skills, say six to eight, then it has been updated. Modern design usually has starting characters start on somewhat equal footing.

Say we both went to a fast food restaurant. We both spend 5 bucks. I get a burger, fries, and drink. You get a burger just like mine but no fries or drink. The cost is the same. If you complain the manager says each customer gets a random amount of food for the same price. Warhammer 1E is like that. Still tastes good, but everything is not equal.

39. CRKrueger

CRKrueger Well-Known Member

Warhammer's not for your group I don't think. The world just wasn't made for the "everyone gets a trophy" crowd, period.

Nick J and Simlasa like this.
  40. thedungeondelver

thedungeondelver Active Member

I've always been OK with what and how Warhammer handles skills, but then I'm OK with the design trope of "Well, in THIS round, it's not your time to shine."

Case in point: I have a player in my Discord+Roll20 game who plays a magic-user/thief (this is 1e AD&D but the general notion holds true). At any rate, during the Christmas game, he back-stabbed and therefore one-shotted a young white dragon. After the party had ineffectively faffed about for 3 or 4 rounds, somehow managing to not die from breath weapon attacks.

Next session: he drops a sleep spell on 9 goblins, ends what could've been a large, bloody encounter in like 2 rounds (it took him a while to get to where he could cast the spell).

And of course, as a thief, he can climb, pick locks, find and disarm traps, steal, etc. But he can't heal people, he can't fight in the front rank, and so on. If he tries to fight in the front line he's gonna die.

And I as a DM (and if I were a player, in that role as well) am OK with that.

To snap back to WHFRP, there's classes that come front-loaded, and there's classes that are pretty stark. Sometimes you're in the front doing amazing stuff, sometimes you're standing back while the magic-u...erm, Apprentice sets things on fire (and hopefully not himself). That's how the game works. I can deal. I wish more people could.

The Butcher and Simlasa like this.