WH40K 8th Edition announced

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
40k? Never heard of it.
I think it's an expansion for Necromunda.
339193d644926b6b214bcd1288ab4624.jpg

You know what this thread needs more of?

PROMOTIONS!

Attachments

• Broodlord_promoted.JPG
    Broodlord_promoted.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 7
There was a company takeover?

probably the wrong terminology. The old CEO was asked to step down by the Board of Trustees, and a new one took his place. The new guy happens to actually be a gamer, and has made vast revisions to how the company functions. They are now active on social media, once again sponsor tournaments, removed the restrictions from independent retailers selling their products online, have a very successful Youtube channel, hold live FAQs with the development teams, introduced "Get Started with..." introductory boxed sets at a huge discount, and reworked White Dwarf into an actual monthly magazine again.

I've been on the fence about getting into Warhammer in general for a while now, however 8th might just get me to take the plunge into 40k. I picked up the Shadow War book when it came out and have really been digging it so my interest in setting is kind of piqued again. Without having the massive cost of getting rulebooks and codices etc I can see myself fleshing out an army instead of just buying a box or two and saying "fuck it I'm too broke for this".

Speaking of cost effective, WH Fantasy is getting a new Skirmish rulebook, focusing on small warbands of around 10 figures, for $10 retail

Sounds like the new CEO figured out you can't can't price everything for the oldbeards if you want the 12year olds to be able to get their mum to front them getting started. The first hit has to be free, or damn cheap. :grin:

probably the wrong terminology. The old CEO was asked to step down by the Board of Trustees, and a new one took his place. The new guy happens to actually be a gamer, and has made vast revisions to how the company functions. They are now active on social media, once again sponsor tournaments, removed the restrictions from independent retailers selling their products online, have a very successful Youtube channel, hold live FAQs with the development teams, introduced "Get Started with..." introductory boxed sets at a huge discount, and reworked White Dwarf into an actual monthly magazine again.
Goddamn it, you're committing the vilest of heresies...you're giving me hope in GW.

14jqgjl.png

Last edited:
If he brings back the Old World, that will be the clincher for me.

The problem wasn't New Coke, it was that
1. They got rid of Old Coke to introduce it.
2. It may have been a boondogggle just to switch Old Coke from Cane Sugar to cheap High Fructose Corn Syrup.

[tinfoil]So they need to change The Old World...
So Age of Sigmar comes...Aiieeee!
Then they start changing 40k.
People go "Whew, at least they aren't gonna Age of Sigmar 40k."[/tinfoil]:grin:

... however 8th might just get me to take the plunge into 40k. I picked up the Shadow War book when it came out and have really been digging it so my interest in setting is kind of piqued again.
I don't think I could ever invest in a full-scale wargame along the lines of 40k, or AoS, like I tried doing with WFB, 15 years ago. Not enough time; no friends that would buy-in. But skirmish-level, kill-team-style boxed games really get my interest. I can see getting more out of my investment of time, modeling, and painting, AND getting in some serious play-time.

Has anyone here played Shadow War: Armageddon? It's Necromunda-ish, right? The boxed set appears to be out-of-stock (or out-of-print) currently - just the softcover rules and various kill-teams on GW's online store, currently.

I don't think I could ever invest in a full-scale wargame along the lines of 40k, or AoS, like I tried doing with WFB, 15 years ago. Not enough time; no friends that would buy-in. But skirmish-level, kill-team-style boxed games really get my interest. I can see getting more out of my investment of time, modeling, and painting, AND getting in some serious play-time.

Has anyone here played Shadow War: Armageddon? It's Necromunda-ish, right? The boxed set appears to be out-of-stock (or out-of-print) currently - just the softcover rules and various kill-teams on GW's online store, currently.

I haven't played it yet, but I do have the softcover rule book. It seems pretty cool. The lists are bit unbalanced in some respects, but it would be fairly easily house ruled. It has a campaign system that seems fairly robust for what it is. I've seen older 40k players say it is basically Necromunda reskinned.

The investment to get into it seems pretty low. You can field a team of Grey Knights with a single box. Same for a few of the other teams. Most teams can be done in full with just a couple of infantry boxes, you can get started and play just fine with a single box.

I too have trouble justifying a full scale wargame. Same reasons as well. Most of my gaming is skirmish oriented. If finding players is a problem you might out to check out some of the games by Two Hour Wargames. They use a reaction system that makes it very easy to play solo and still have some serious uncertainty and feel like you are actually playing one side against the other. Most of their games can be done with a small figure count as well. If you play in 1/72 you can field whatever you want for right around 20 bucks.

I wouldn't mind getting into Shadow War: Armageddon, as long as you could upgrade your models like you did in Necromunda. If it's just playing 40k with 5-9 models, I'll pass.

I wouldn't mind getting into Shadow War: Armageddon, as long as you could upgrade your models like you did in Necromunda. If it's just playing 40k with 5-9 models, I'll pass.

There's a campaign system that allows models to accrue experience and gain money to spend on gear and upgrades. In fact some of the forces really don't come into their own until they've had a chance to do a bit of upgrading. Orks for instance really need to have a couple of games behind them so they can afford to field a lot of models.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back