What are you listening to?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
This is Babymetal...

I discovered their existence today when I found out the writer of Serial Experiments: Lain, a television series I'd put on par with Twin Peaks and The Prisoner, left the anime industry to write a 368 page book about Babymetal, so I googled it to see what exactly that was...

...my mind does not know how to respond to this...

I'm Rockin' Doc Sammy and you are listening to Empire Central Radio!

An underrated Neil Young record.

Watched this 78' concert from the Some Girls tour and I gotta say that I was impressed, the Stones have always been a bit shambolic live but this concert is the best live performance from them I've seen outside of the great Hyde Park and Exile-era performances. Tight and energetic, right around their last near-great record.

BTW Marc Maron's latest stand-up on Netflix has a excellent extended bit on the Stones, it is priceless.

81aoJJIheIL._SY355_.jpg
Personally I find it more enjoyable than Sgt. Pepper or Between the Buttons...

Outside of A Day in the Life I'm not much of a fan of Sgt. Pepper's, Rubber Soul and Revolver are my favs with the stripped down version of Let It Be close behind.

Jagger isn't that much of a fan of Between the Buttons himself, he thinks it lacks the cohesion of sound and feel of their best records and I agree with him.

Listening to some psychdrone from Laraaji and Blues Control.

Outside of A Day in the Life I'm not much of a fan of Sgt. Pepper's, Rubber Soul and Revolver are my favs with the stripped down version of Let It Be close behind.

Jagger isn't that much of a fan of Between the Buttons himself, he thinks it lacks the cohesion of sound and feel of their best records and I agree with him.

Listening to some psychdrone from Laraaji and Blues Control.

Having Rubber Soul and Revolver as your favorite Beatles album is the easy hipster's choice, but they are my favorites too.

Having Rubber Soul and Revolver as your favorite Beatles album is the easy hipster's choice, but they are my favorites too.
Nah, those are just their best albums, and add in the singles they left off their LPs from 1965 to 1966 and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone else who even rivals the creative outburst of the Beatles over that brief period.

My favorite Rolling Stones record is actually Out of Our Heads (American version).

R-1349841-1313098294.jpeg.jpg

But then again, I really enjoy Their Satanic Majesties Request as well.

R-4884727-1378440946-8705.jpeg.jpg

R-2724454-1438214045-3253.jpeg.jpg
Although I never understood why there is no inverted exclamation mark before his name.

Bringing with me tomorrow to listen to in the van whilst taking kids to school and then en route to work:
51EN9N2QE7L.jpg 61Z5W0NBZCL.jpg MI0001795233.jpg
All classic LPs that are seldom mentioned in the annals of "country rock," "Americana," or "alt country" despite having beaten many others to the punch. If you listen to Mike Nesmith's songs and unreleased tracks with the Monkees, you'll realize he was doing his sui generis thing as early as 1966.

Barney Hoskyns typically excellent book Hotel California, about the LA country rock and folk scene of the 70s, turned me on to Michael Nesmith. Rick Nelson also recorded some good country rock records around the same time.

51HmvBj3J0L._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
Barney Hoskyns typically excellent book Hotel California, about the LA country rock and folk scene of the 70s, turned me on to Michael Nesmith. Rick Nelson also recorded some good country rock records around the same time.
0b8edff63d4575ce9e2dccb7e99d81b1.400x387x1.jpg
is the one I have.

That's it! There may be a few more but not on CD.
Yes...sadly there are a lot of great, good, or at least interesting LPs out of print. I had a heck of a time finding Theodore Bikel on CD for my mother's birthday and am still trying to find a CD of the Red Army Marching Band record she used to have on vinyl.

01_big.jpg Great 3-LP set, classic Wings lineup at the top of their game.

img310.jpeg
Never understood people crapping all over this one as I think it stands up quite well and has more than a few good rockers on it plus a couple of great ballads. I think it was just the thing to do at the time to put down Paul.

Never spent any real time with Wings but I'm intending to soon.

Never spent any real time with Wings but I'm intending to soon.

Well...even their lesser albums like Wild Life have some gems mixed in, but personally I would rate Band on the Run their best LP, followed by Venus and Mars . Wings Over America is a triple-LP concert album that spans a handful of Beatles songs, several solo McCartney songs, and a good sampling of Wings material from 1972 to 1976, including several non-LP songs and covers. I think the live versions blow away most of the studio versions. If anyone who doesn't know Wings listens to Wings Over America , I think that person would come away thinking, (1) "Dang, they were tight!", (2) "Dang, they had a lot of good tunes!", and (3) "Dang, no wonder they were the biggest band in the world in the mid-'70s!"

I was snidely dismissive of Wings when I was a kid, yet whenever I hear them now, it sounds pretty good to me. Maybe I was a snide, negative dickhead when I was young. Maybe I have become lame in my middle age.

Actually, its a well-established historical fact that I was snide, negative dickhead when I was young, so I am going with that one.

Least anyone think Wings is just "Paul McCartney and some lucky schmucks," here are a couple of band members getting their time to shine:

Denny Laine singing his "Time to Hide" from Wings at the Speed of Sound :

Jimmy McCulloch singing his "Medicine Jar" from Venus and Mars :

I'm afraid I don't like The Beatles much at all, let alone Wings...

I'm afraid I don't like The Beatles much at all, let alone Wings...

Not everybody likes good music. I mean, Justin Bieber has fans and hasn't even won Eurovision like Teach-In! :clown:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back