What RPG campaign are you going to run/play in 2018?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
My home system, we took a break for the last year on an 11 year campaign, due to real life stuff. Looking to try VTT to get it going again and maybe expand our player base. A fantasy RPG type game, may continue with the PA game.

Moving house threw a spanner into the works for me, since my group currently games online and much of my stuff is in storage: I don't have access to most of my gaming material, my PC, or even a desk! At least I've been able to play in sessions even though I'm not in a position to run anything (thank heavens for tablets).

What I have managed to do is to slowly write a few adventures for a short Forgotten Futures campaign I'm planning, based broadly on William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki the Ghost Finder stories. Early twentieth century Ghostbusters, after a fashion; of course, my lot will inevitably make it more like a combination of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! and Carry On Screaming...

Moving house threw a spanner into the works for me, since my group currently games online and much of my stuff is in storage: I don't have access to most of my gaming material, my PC, or even a desk! At least I've been able to play in sessions even though I'm not in a position to run anything (thank heavens for tablets).

What I have managed to do is to slowly write a few adventures for a short Forgotten Futures campaign I'm planning, based broadly on William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki the Ghost Finder stories. Early twentieth century Ghostbusters, after a fashion; of course, my lot will inevitably make it more like a combination of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! and Carry On Screaming...

I rejoiced when I saw Raiders of R'lyeh had stats for Carnacki's electric pentacle. :smile:

I rejoiced when I saw Raiders of R'lyeh had stats for Carnacki's electric pentacle. :smile:
i need to go spend more time with that. I got it, then work hammered me.

83BF5FA1-0CBB-4A89-988E-0C74B7071CE2.jpeg
Awesome! Please start a thread on it and tell us everything your players and you have done. :smile:

I never did play PFRPG but it's a pretty cool game.

The World of Palladium is my favorite campaign setting. I also really like that it’s an AD&D fork. The books need a revision and to be better organized but if you’re a player and ever get a chance to play, it’s a blast.

Another thing really great about the Palladium books is that Kevin kind of writes how Agartala wrote: very conversational. The newer games tend to be written more like reference books.

I run a hybrid because my group is made up of d chunks of coal, newbies, my daughters, their friends, and the like. I want a player to my game to be able to order a book and be able to use it. I know a lot of old hands dislike the 2E but most of the game is the same or easy to house rule to what somebody likes.

If folks are interested I can start a Palladium fantasy catch all thread.

My favorite book and favorite cover ever is:

The books have so much content that can be used in the game and I like that Palladium hasn’t run from the dungeon like a lot of modern games have.

IRL: continuing D&D 5e for now, probably switching campaigns in the next couple months (not sure to what, I'm not running next but likely after next)

Roll20: PFan campaign continues, and I found a CineUni Buffyverse campaign that should start soon

RPoL: in an Armageddon campaign using the system but a Weird West setting, has just started but seems cool.

Prepping: still playing around with Hellgate: SD-1 for CineUni, definitely not running soon but should come up with a few PCs, possible destinations etc.

It turns out that I'll probably be running a short campaign, starting around April. Our GURPS GM has expressed some fatigue and wants to take a break.

This gaming group are a group of die-hard Alternity fans. And, with the announcement that Sasquatch Game Studios is supposed to be releasing a (substantial) playtest doc for Alternity2017 in the next 2-3 weeks, the group's on-board to try it out. So, I've got some time to do some campaign prep, and digest the doc when it's available. Then, hopefully we can all get a grasp of the system together.

I've been reading some All Flesh Must be Eaten recently - specifically the All Tomorrow's Zombies supplement. And I'm thinking of taking a campaign seed from there and modifying it (Cyber Marines and Death Scenes). Distant mining colony stops responding to (slow) FTL communiques; ore deliveries from FTL craft cease; a survey ship is sent to determine the issue - and also ceases communication; finally, a number of marine squads are sent to the planet to resolve the problem. I'll just need to put some work into it, and introduce some surprises so it's not a total-Aliens ripoff. :smile: (Not that I think the players would mind if it was a near-Aliens-ripoff. I think they'll enjoy blasting some biotech'd-up "zombies"/former-colonists. They're in to the shooty stuff).

Last edited:
As per my other thread, Savage Rifts. It has to have a deadline (one of the players is having a baby in March) so we've gotta keep up the pace.

The gist of it is that they are off-worlders trying to locate the fabled ARCHIE bunker. They have to hunt 3 MacGuffins in three distinct locations first:

1. A "map" to the location of the bunker.
  2. A "key" to open the vault door.
  3. A gifted psychic NPC who can interface with Archie (big AI).
Looking forward to it!

Well I am running Pirates of Drinax for Traveller, currently, and playing in a Elemental Evil campaign for D&D on alternative sessions. They will probably still be going for at least half the year, I think.

I will definitely want to pick up the new Masks of Nyarlathotep for CoC7E and also the new Enemy Within for WFRP4. These are both classics, and it will be brilliant to see them updated with full colour production standards. My current group haven't played either, so they'll be high on the radar. My other options are Delta Green, Kult or a home-brew of Mage: The Ascension that actually draws a lot of inspiration from other games (Unknown Armies and Doctor Who, especially).

The DM who runs the D&D game I play in likes games like Apocalypse World, Fate and Savage Worlds. I think we will end up playing Fate this year, at least.

I had a vague idea for an RPG setting I have titled "Full Metal Waifu", set in a fictionalized and anime-influenced take on the Vietnam War. It's essentially Maid RPG meets Recon and yes, it is a comedy setting of sorts. Albeit a dark comedy one.

Players can be either cute anime female waifus or anime bishonen male husbandos, and are assumed to be serving in the Vietnam War. Playerable factions are the US Army, US Marines, ARVN, or Hidden Leaf Village forces. The enemies are Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army.

I'm trying to think of a system for it, and I'm leaning towards either Big Eyes Small Mouth 1E or GURPS 3E, assuming I don't go for a freeform game.

If this idea can stick, I could also do spin-offs for World War II, Korea, and maybe even a World War III scenario pitting the United States against the Soviet Union in an alternate 1980's setting. But those ideas would be very far off.

PTGs: I want to get this thing fully off the ground.

Cypher System: I have a powerful urge to run either Predation, Gods of the Fall, or some kind of hybrid.

Some kinda OSR thingy.

Boot Hill (1979 edition) set in New Mexico, 1870, probably, with cross-border action and clashing cattle barons and hostile Apache and such, somewhat High Chaparral in inspiration, although the PCs will likely start as having just drifted into Tucson...

Flashing Blades set in France, 1620, full of Alexandre Dumas intrigue and adventure...

Traveller (1977 edition), set in an E.C. Tubb/Poul Anderson/Andre Norton-inspired galaxy, although I'll just start with one largely randomly generated subsector...

James Bond 007, probably set in the 1980s Cold War era, but with two partner PCs like Ilya Kuryakin and Napoleon Solo...

The Fantasy Trip set in a very Harryhausen Sinbad time and place, hopefully with a give like The Golden Voyage of Sinbad...

At least those are my hopes.

I'm going to be setting up a campaign for my wife's work colleagues on a semi-regular basis and I've decided on Fighting Fantasy. I'll be using basic FF with some mods I did by taking cues from AFF, just to make things really easy for me.

That is an awesome cover.

I've never understood the beef with Palladium. It's basically D&D with better rules for fighting, and its notorious disorganization is no worse than AD&D, which everybody parsed just fine.
It became trendy on the internet to shit on Palladium. From my experience a good portion of the people that post that stuff haven’t actually played it or they don’t understand the concept of a toolbox system.

That is an awesome cover.

I've never understood the beef with Palladium. It's basically D&D with better rules for fighting, and its notorious disorganization is no worse than AD&D, which everybody parsed just fine.

I picked up Palladium Fantasy and would say the AD&D books are significantly worse in terms of organization. The way most parsed AD&D was by ignoring a good portion of the actual ruleset.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back