Resource icon

Free Form OSR Spellcasting Beta 1.1

No permission to download
Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I don't know anything about Stara Szkola, as I don't own it and have not read it. But to comment on the rules as written, I like them. But I am a sucker for flexible magic systems. This has some nice ideas. I might steal adapt some of them for my current game.
SSk is a cheap game (PDF is maybe $10) and the combat system is more than worth the price of admission. My personal OSR heartbreaker is going to start with the SSk rules set.

Its not actially loosy goosy at all, or at least I hope not.

Its not actially loosy goosy at all, or at least I hope not.
Ah well, humor fail on my part.

I liked some of it as an aside, like the 2d20 for initiative disadvantage for casting spell unless you have celerity. So I assume that combat has a state intentions phase before the actual actions phase? It's one of the things I don't like with RQ btw. We always did away with the fiddliness that slowed down game play where the initiative had to change during the combat round as it was being played. Correct me if I'm wrong on that based on what I was reading in the document. The rest of it looks solid.

SSk is a cheap game (PDF is maybe $10) and the combat system is more than worth the price of admission. My personal OSR heartbreaker is going to start with the SSk rules set.
I picked SSk up last night and gave it a read through. Very nice. As I am already working on my OSR heartbreaker based on Knave 1E and bits from classic and modern D&D that I prefer, it's a little late for me. Having said that, SSk is very tempting for my next project when this campaign/playtest ends.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back