A thread full of horse

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Very few games in my experience cover one of the most important aspects of traveling on horseback: go too far and you can maim or kill the horse - and really, maiming is often killing, just more slowly.
Yes, it's my understanding that over a period longer than a few days, mounted movement is no faster than walking, unless you have regular remounts, because you just can't keep pushing your horses to maintain the faster paces.

Very few games in my experience cover one of the most important aspects of traveling on horseback: go too far and you can maim or kill the horse - and really, maiming is often killing, just more slowly.

I appreciate games that don't treat horses as hay-burning motorcycles - 2e Boot Hill, I'm looking at you.

View attachment 80818

And don't get me started on awesomeness of the 'running your horse to death' variant rule in The Dragon 26.

View attachment 80819

I genuinely appreciate rules that cover not only the strength and speed of horses, but their fragility as well.
Since I have rules for forced march in Cold Iron, addressing forced march for mounted parties would be good.
Yes, it's my understanding that over a period longer than a few days, mounted movement is no faster than walking, unless you have regular remounts, because you just can't keep pushing your horses to maintain the faster paces.
Yea, I've heard this kind of wisdom also, yet almost every RPG has mounted parties traveling twice as fast as parties on foot.

Aside from training (and your list seems reasonably comprehensive), a horse's temperament is important - a nice phlegmatic draught horse might be big and strong enough to be a warhorse, but without a degree of 'spirit' and aggression it won't really fit the role. Obviously physical characteristics matter too, but any decent sized horse will do for hacking (riding), hunting (and thus jumping, etc.), and as a cavalry remount as long as it's in good health.
yes, that makes sense. I was going to mostly handle this with different breeds of horse.
If you want to make horses more interesting, giving them quirks (both good and bad) might help. Is the horse unusually stupid? High strung and shies and anything and everything (might actually be good for the horse if you're in snake country)? Bites everyone? Or maybe picks one party member to dislike and bites them whenever they're nearby and not paying attention. Or a horse that's absolutely bomb-proof - but only so long as it retains trust that the rider knows what they're doing, so everything's great until the rider panics or fails a ride check, at which point the horse panics ("OMG! The Boss is clueless! I'm doomed!") bucks the rider off and runs for it (I had the dubious privilege of riding a horse like that once - a lovely animal aside from that one thing, and I've never been a great rider, so it was an 'experience'). How about a horse that's just really sure footed - doesn't go lame from rough country, doesn't stumble, etc. Or one that's just got the smoothest gait, so riding it at faster speeds isn't nearly as tiring for the rider as on most horses (or the reverse, where it has a really jarring trot).

Obviously such quirks can alter the value of a horse - if the seller knows about them.
Quirks for horses may be more detail than I want to go into, though a bit of write up on them might make sense.

I appreciate games that don't treat horses as hay-burning motorcycles - 2e Boot Hill, I'm looking at you.

View attachment 80818

And don't get me started on awesomeness of the 'running your horse to death' variant rule in The Dragon 26.

View attachment 80819

I genuinely appreciate rules that cover not only the strength and speed of horses, but their fragility as well.
What if you bring, say, 3 horses and alternate which one you're riding on? Would the weight of the rider make a difference for sustaining the higher pace for longer?

What if you bring, say, 3 horses and alternate which one you're riding on? Would the weight of the rider make a difference for sustaining the higher pace for longer?
I don't have personal experience riding anything like 180 miles in three days, but I'd be inclined to rule that while a horse carrying a man plus saddle and tack and bags and bedroll and canteens works much harder, at those distances remounts are still working, not recovering. Depending on horse quality - horses in BH are rated poor, fair, good, and excellent quality - terrain, and weather, I might let rotating between three good quality horses on a spring prairie with available water and grazing go a fourth day before breaking down. Plowing through mountains in winter? Even two days is a stretch, and you're not covering much ground anyway.

Consider that the remuda of horses for a cattle drive may have 6-8 horses per cowhand, partly so they can rotate mounts, partly because horses have different skills - you don't spend the whole day trailing the herd on your best cutting horse, frex. The thing to remember here is, cattle drives move relatively slowly, or you arrive at your destination with skinny cows that won't sell for the price of a pound of chuck, so the remuda's nowhere near approaching the limits of its energy.

I’m just jumping in to say that horses can be absolutely terrifying in real life if you are just used to trail nags.

The ones used by mounted police are huge and monstrously strong. Large groups of humans simply can’t stay in place once they start pushing.

On a related note, there is true primal terror generated by an actual pissed-off attack dog (military or police).

Our little civilized belief that horses and dogs are cute can go right out the window quickly.

Since I have rules for forced march in Cold Iron, addressing forced march for mounted parties would be good.

Yea, I've heard this kind of wisdom also, yet almost every RPG has mounted parties traveling twice as fast as parties on foot.
They do, and I tell all my players that that's for two days, three days if you're willing to push your horses. After that, unless you've got remounts (and hard food for them if they're not steppe ponies on the steppes) or are using a 'pony express' you're not moving any faster than the grunts on foot. Then they get to look at how much hard food (grain) a large and active horse needs if it can't graze.

Note that for certain kinds of Arthurian knights' tales I'd skip all that.

I thread drift a little.... okay a lot... I was looking for something else and found this....

CandyHeart
Pony Sweetie of Our Ponyland Convergence Point Setting Sunrise Valley Chronicle

CandyHeart is just so very nice. She just wants people to feel hugged and happy. To that end, she makes candy in the town, because everyone likes candy. (She also makes special candies of low calories, or no lactose, or vegan... she knows regular candies are not for everyone). She tries to be everyone's friend. She makes a special effort to be the (only) friend of the grumpy alicorn Bernard.

Markings: White with red hooves, with long and wavy pink mane and large pink eyes. The has a dusting of tiny red hearts along her back.
Pony mark is two red hearts and a pink heart all touching.

Character Framework: Pony
It is the same as a critter framework with the following additions" Sentience and Sapience, language abilities, cosmic hands (TK associated with the body, with a range of "a reach"), and one level increase in ground movement. It is unclear if they need size/ scale shifting. Everything in this framework is "out of the box" and in the life set section.

Name: CandyHeart
Character Framework: Pony
Core Trait; Pony Sweetie of Our Ponyland
Lv 5 /EP Mod .75x 1.15 -.4 +0 3000 bonus Next level 5250

Primary Aspects
PHY 10 +3/7- "Stays up late"
DEX 10 +3/7- "Knots, swirls, and drops" (making of
MEN 10 +3/7- "Bright Enough "
EMO 15 +5/9- "Empathy"
MPY 10 +3/7- "This is Bernard's kinda of thing"
CHA 18 +6/10- "Friendliest Pony Ever"
Is it obvious you don't have to roll your stats in Convergence Point. You can roll 4d6-4 or pick. If you opt to have awesome stats, you will pay in a huge EP MOD.

Life Focus CFT+CMU+CON -.4x

Developing
Theme (B1): Frequently getting in around trouble helping her friends
Psych (B1): Has issues with being upset, angry, or not friendly. Does irrational things or shuts down.

AoE
Craft +5 "Candy Making"
Communication +5 "Conversation" "Making Friends" "Tell me everything" "Sometimes just listening gets you the answer."
Contacts+5 "Everyone is my friend" "Bernard"
Knowledge+0 "People of Sunrise Valley"
Knowledge+0 "History of Sunrise Valley"

"A Thread Full of Horse"

:closed: Must. refrain. from. making a. heroin joke... again! :dead:
Perils of thread necromancy.:hurry:
...and here I was waiting for another kind of :crap: jokes!

Thanks for the necro, that RMSS horse traits table is pretty cool

I thought I'd do some thread necromancy here...

I'm looking for some feedback on horse training. I have traditionally had five kinds of horses in Cold Iron

1. Draft
  2. Riding
  3. Draft + Riding
  4. Cavalry (won't fight, but won't balk in combat)
  5. War
But now I want some finer granularity, so I'm proposing the following training areas for horses:
  • Pack animal
  • Plough animal
  • Cart/Wagon animal
  • Racing
  • Hunting
  • Herding
  • Jumping (popular for race and hunting mounts)
  • Chariot (animal is trained to pull a vehicle in combat)
  • Saddle (animal is trained for riding)
  • Battle (animal is trained to be around combat, will not spook easily)
  • Combat (animal is trained to fight)
  • War (trained for lance charges and such, usually also Combat trained)
  • Survival (some creatures might be trained or skilled at tracking and hunting)
  • Stealth (some creatures might be trained or skilled at sneaking about)
I'm also wondering what special traits might be inborn for horses.

And then extend this to other mounts and beasts of burden. So the above skills should cover oxen, elephants, camels, etc.
A man after my own heart. Every thing you ask for is below.

I wanted the same, so designed it and animal training rules. Each task you train an animal for cost a certain number of Training Points (TP). How much it costs depends on the animal, carnivore, herbivore, pack, lone. Training is not unlimited and based on creature IQ (which ranges from 1 to 4, IQ 1 =insect, IQ 2=reptile, simple mammal, IQ 3 = mammal, smart reptile, IQ 4 = smart mammal (chimpanzee, dolphin, my dog :smile: ). Horses are IQ 2-3. IQ 5 = sapient and then you go onto another scale.

Note an untrained animal may be able to do these things but ones who are trained do them unfailing and without effort. There are also a couple needed trainings for wild animals, if you want them to behave.

As a player with sufficient Beastmaster (aka animal handling) ability can start with trained animal I give animals a "cost" in Animal Points (NP) and the total "cost" for a trained animal is AP+TP.

I could give you a complete list of costs so can see the scaling, (have wide range of animals that can be trained, I need hunting falcons :smile:, and a whole slew for my aquatic stuff)

Here is a short list:
Mule , Med. Pony, Light Horse (IQ 3): 6 NP
Med. Horse (IQ 3) 8 NP
Heavy Horse (IQ 3)10 NP
Cat, Ferret (IQ 3) 2 NP
Ferret (IQ 3)2 NP
Large Dog (IQ 3) 3 NP
Ray (IQ 4)
Raven (IQ 4) 5 NP
Medium Raptor (IQ 3) 6 NP
Lynx, Wolf (IQ 3) 8 NP

Here are the trainings and there costs. Have a lot of pre-made trained animals can PM if you wish and at the end is a list of common variations and the NP cost to add them. I usually decide myself which variations are available for which animal.

Animal Training

TasksDescriptionPack Carnivore Cost (TP)Lone Carnivore Cost (TP)Herbivore Cost (TP)
Alertalert you to danger, predator or prey silently222
Attackon command attack nearest foe112
Calmremain calm in battle, around loud noises and fire212
Carryallow themselves to be ridden, or haul or carry a load231
Comefollow and come on command121
Fetchretrieve object, thrown or prey121
Fightstand ground, attack, stop attack on command, recognize danger and attack without command223
Haulallow themselves to pull or carry a load, but not ridden121
Herdkeep creatures together and lead them121
Hideruns to the nearest "hiding" spot and hides until called122
Huntseek out and kill specific prey but not eat it112
Messengergo to a specific location on command222
Obeyrefrain from aggression, comfortable around humans; necessary for wild animals, automatic for most domestics121
Protectwatch over creature or place, attack any that threaten it111
Quietstay quiet when startled and on non-verbal command111
Refrainrefrain from attacking, oft needed for large carnivores121
Signalmake a specific sound or movement for different things343
Staystay where designated111
Teampull, attack or act in unison with other like animals121
Tracktrack a specific smell, or sight if a raptor112
Watchwill alert you to danger by vocalizing122
Z Calmno fear of undead and will alert to their presence112
TrainingsDescriptionPack CLone CH
Battle MountCalm, Carry, Come, Quiet665
Battle BeastAttack, Calm, Come, Quiet556
War MountCalm, Carry, Come, Quiet, Stay,Brawl+1 & Attack or Protect101010 or 9
War BeastCalm, Come, Quiet + Fight, Stay, Brawl +19910
Dungeon BCalm, Come, Quiet, Stay, Z Calm, Stealth +1889
Dungeon Xas Dungeon B + Alert, Fetch, Hide111213
GuardCome, Protect, Stay, Watch, Brawl +1687
WatchStay, Watch234
SkillsDescription
AcrobaticsAnimal Skills: Training Points (TP) can also be used toNY (flying only)N
Brawlincrease animal skills at a cost of 2 TP per skill pointYYY
Climbincrease. The basic animal skills are listed to the left.NNN
ScoutY/N to right indicates if this skill can be added if not naturalYYN
StealthIF IQ below 5. IQ 5 animals can be taught any animal skill.YYY
TrackYYN

Max Training in Training Points (TP): TP max = 1+ IQ x3
(TP max for: IQ 2 =7, IQ 3 = 10, IQ 4 =13, IQ 4 =16)

Common Animal Variations

Variation
Description
Price
Aggressive (A)+1 Combat; +1 Skill to control
+2 NP​
Agile (AG)+1 DX
+3 NP​
Brave (B)+1 WL
+2 NP​
Brute (BR)+1 ST
+3 NP​
Dull (D)-1 IQ
-1 NP​
Fast (F)+1 INT
+4 NP​
Hardy 1 (H1)+2 SHP. +2 BHP, +1 CHP
+1 NP​
Hardy 2 (H2)+5 SHP. +5 BHP, +1 CHP
+1 NP​
Headstrong (HS)+1 WL; +1 Diff. to control
+1 NP​
Keen Vision (KV)+1 See
+2 NP​
Keen Hear (KH)+1 Hear
+2 NP​
Keen Smell (KS)+1 Smell
+2 NP​
Leaper (L)+1 Jump skill
+2 NP​
Mad (M)+1 Skill to control
-1 NP​
Nimble (N)+1 Athletic
+4 NP​
Smart (SM)+1 IQ
+4 NP​
Strong (ST)+1 Haul
+3 NP​
Old (OD)-1 Haul
-1 NP​
Ornery (O)+1 SC to control
-1 NP​
Resist Cold (Rc)Cold Pro +1
+1 NP​
Resist Heat (Rh)Heat Pro +1
+1 NP​
Swift (S)+1 Run, Swim or Fly
+2 NP​
Slow (SL)-1 Run, Swim or Fly
-1 NP​
Super "Rat" (SR)Resist Poison 8, Disease 4
+4 NP​
Tough (T)+1 EN
+2 NP​
Tough Cold (Tc)+1 EN, Cold Pro +1
+3 NP​

On the above, would have to give more detail on the system I use but this should give you the idea. If interested can send you something on my mechanics so can translate to whatever system you prefer.
DX=dexterity, WL = will, ST = strength, INT = initiative, SHP = stun hp, BHP = base hp, CHP = critical HP, and 1 Haul = about 50kg or 100 pounds, with a person plus tackle and gear requiring about 2 haul. Lastly a +1 to something is pretty big deal.

Last edited:
A man after my own heart. Every thing you ask for is below.

I could give you a complete list of costs so can see the scaling, (have wide range of animals that can be trained, I need hunting falcons :smile:, and a whole slew for my aquatic stuff)

Here are the trainings and there costs. Have a lot of pre-made trained animals can PM if you wish and at the end is a list of common variations and the NP cost to add them. I usually decide myself which variations are available for which animal.

On the above, would have to give more detail on the system I use but this should give you the idea. If interested can send you something on my mechanics so can translate to whatever system you prefer.
DX=dexterity, WL = will, ST = strength, INT = initiative, SHP = stun hp, BHP = base hp, CHP = critical HP, and 1 Haul = about 50kg or 100 pounds, with a person plus tackle and gear requiring about 2 haul. Lastly a +1 to something is pretty big deal.
I'd be interested in seeing more detail on this. Probably way more detailed than I want, but lots of good ideas to pick from to fill out the detail level I'm starting to work on.

Depending on horse quality - horses in BH are rated poor, fair, good, and excellent quality - terrain, and weather, I might let rotating between three good quality horses on a spring prairie with available water and grazing go a fourth day before breaking down. Plowing through mountains in winter? Even two days is a stretch, and you're not covering much ground anyway.
Thank you. I am running a hexcrawl in what is essentially fantasy North American Great Plains now and was wondering how many days my PCs' horses can go with just grazing.

Thank you. I am running a hexcrawl in what is essentially fantasy North American Great Plains now and was wondering how many days my PCs' horses can go with just grazing.
Assuming the foliage is adequate over time, I see no reason why they can't do it infinitely. It's not like they get a bucket of oats in their natural state.

Assuming the foliage is adequate over time, I see no reason why they can't do it infinitely. It's not like they get a bucket of oats in their natural state.
Horses can of course survive on grass alone - that is their natural diet. But in their natural state they spend the better part of the day grazing and don't have to carry close to 20% of their own body weight and travel for hours in a stretch, day after day.

Horses can of course survive on grass alone - that is their natural diet. But in their natural state they spend the better part of the day grazing and don't have to carry close to 20% of their own body weight and travel for hours in a stretch, day after day.
I think that seems more like a problem of rest for the horse rather than diet.

I think that seems more like a problem of rest for the horse rather than diet.
It's a bit of both. Grains mean the horses need less grazing, which allows you to ride them more. If you have to give the horses time to graze and rest, it restricts the number of hours you can ride and therefore your range. I think Black Vulmea's suggestion of a full day of rest for every 4 days of travel is reasonable.

You can in fact kill a horse by running it distances a reasonably fit human can cover in a few days.

The Man versus Horse marathon is slightly shorter than a traditional marathon. The horse usually, but not always, wins.

Lots of good information here, not quite sure how to coalesce it into something I can put in my Cold Iron rules.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back