Anyone Done That DNA Testing Thing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

OHT

Reviewer
Reaction score
At a family gathering over christmas my eldest sister suddenly announced that she'd had her dna profiled by one of those packs you send in the post. Not sure how accurate they are, but as she's my sister i figured my dna must be similar.

Anyhow, i was quite shocked at how very white we are. Normally you get a bit of your make-up from far away places, but we are pretty much your typical wasp.

30% British (i gather this is an island identity that contains enough unique dna markers to identify as from the modern UK).
29% Western European (this counts as Poland/Germany/Belgium/Netherlands/France)
28% Celtic (bit surprised by having ancient British/Gaulish blood and a lot of it)
10% Scandanavian (big surprise here)
1% Portugese (Why Portugal is different to Iberian dna not sure)
1% Finnish (Different racial group to scandanavia as language buffs will have it)
1% Turkish/Georgian/Persian (as far from europeans as we can be traced)

The mind kinda makes up stories as to how you get that particular mix of profile.

Anyone else done it?

yep, I've done it.

Northwestern European 97.1%
British & Irish 45.1%
Scandinavian 16.6%
French & German 6.8%
Finnish 1.2%
Broadly Northwestern European 27.3%

unique little bits not in that set are a bit of Iberian, a bit of finnish, and a bit of Yakut. Mom and dad both have Yakut. When mom gets hers done (should be shortly) I'll have a fuller picture.

Bear in mind that statistical correlation between ethnic background and genetic markers can get pretty sketchy.

Consider that you share 60% of your DNA with a chicken or a bana, 80% with a cow or mouse, 90% with a housecat and 96% with a chimp. Crucially, you share 99.9% of it with any other random human being.

That actually leaves quite a bit molecular real estate for variations. And yet because the size of the genome is fixed (barring chromosomal aberration, which is always pathological), and there's only so many building blocks to around, and only a fairly restrictive set of combinations of these that will turn out functional proteins... I think there may be more guesswork than science in these panels, especially the further you go down in percentage points. (1% Portuguese? WTF is that supposed to mean?)

I've always been hesitant to due it because it seems like by doing it I'm giving away information about my brothers and sisters and potentially their children. I always assume this will someday be hacked and leaked. I'm not too worried for my life but the idea someone might use my DNA results to screen my children, siblings or niece's and nephews bothers me.

I've always been hesitant to due it because it seems like by doing it I'm giving away information about my brothers and sisters and potentially their children. I always assume this will someday be hacked and leaked. I'm not too worried for my life but the idea someone might use my DNA results to screen my children, siblings or niece's and nephews bothers me.

As someone who has been the victim of credit card fraud five times, and victim of the Chinese government helping itself to my name, address, telephone number, Social Security number, fingerprints, and God only knows what else, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to these things. Like T The Butcher, I find the science sketchy at best, but if it is real I don't need another vector for having my privacy taken.

As someone who has been the victim of credit card fraud five times, and victim of the Chinese government helping itself to my name, address, telephone number, Social Security number, fingerprints, and God only knows what else, I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to these things. Like T The Butcher, I find the science sketchy at best, but if it is real I don't need another vector for having my privacy taken.
But it is more than that. All the stuff you are talking about is personal just to you. It's the idea that someone would use what they know about me to extrapolate against family that bothers me. You just have to assume hacking will happen too.

My brother, who is not related to me by blood, took a DNA test with his wife recently and discovered he is in the top 99th percentile for Neanderthal DNA.

My brother, who is not related to me by blood, took a DNA test with his wife recently and discovered he is in the top 99th percentile for Neanderthal DNA.
Bet that little fact will come in handy during family fights.

I haven't done one of these, but I'm probably as boringly white and northwestern european as they come ;-)

My results are something like:

• 40% Irish.
  • 20% Sicilian.
  • 20% Sasquatch.
  • 20% Reptilian from the Alpha Draconis system.
Or something like that. :grin:

Not yet, always wanted to do it but it's too expensive at the moment.

My results are something like:

• 40% Irish.
  • 20% Sicilian.
  • 20% Sasquatch.
  • 20% Reptilian from the Alpha Draconis system.
Or something like that. :grin:
Only 20%? I'd have thought your undesirables percentage would be higher.:hehe:

Last edited:
Im

I not sure I'd say Sicilian is non human.....

Crap! Caught in my own trap!

Um...er...Sicilians are ancient astronauts from the Centauri Cluster. This is known.

Crap! Caught in my own trap!

Um...er...Sicilians are ancient astronauts from the Centauri Cluster. This is known.
Noman is a funny bullshiter. This is know.

8a6e154c27ff794bd8ae82834fe9783639597947f4ec6cde9b8250aeb362f13a.jpg

WRONG!!!

Chewbacca is a caring, sensitive, supporting partner to Solo which is in no way gay at all.

Alien Bigfoot is a ninja-level stealth master who can run down a deer and rip it to shreds with its teeth and claws, but with FTL travel, who haunts my nightmares.

Know your aliens, Tristram. It can literally mean the difference between life and death.

:clown::wink::hehe:

Nah. Don't see the point if it's just to get a vague idea of geographic locales in which your ancestors were hunting and gathering. We're all apes anyway.

Know your aliens, Tristram. It can literally mean the difference between life and death.

I've got my lighter with me... *

* - Incredibly Obscure Venture Bros Reference Is Go!

You are wise to have those concerns.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...fying-but-not-for-the-reasons-the-fda-thinks/

I'm not sure if I've taken this particular one, since it seems more in-depth than the one I remember, but I did take some kind of test and got told that I'm such a pure-blooded Scandinavian that it's almost a bit embarrassing. I think there was some Greek in the mix somewhere, but for the most parts, my ancestors planted their asses in Sweden thousands of years ago and then refused to move an inch.

Which would admittedly explain my own aversion to moving...

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back