cooperative games?

Discussion in 'Board and Card Games' started by TheophilusCarter, Aug 23, 2017.

1. daniel_ream

daniel_ream Active Member

I'm always skeptical of board games that require some kind of app, because I know how ephemeral technology is. My copy of Axis & Allies plays just as well now as it did in 1984. The same won't be true of many app-assisted games (such as Clue: Secrets and Spies).

2. Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere Member

Of course Descent doesn't need the app, the app is simply a convenience that is currently available.

3. Bunch

Bunch Member

As mentioned above the co-op mode app is an addition to the normal multiplayer mode.

Also some of the old games don't play as well now as they did before technology appeared at it's current level. Many games that we'd happily have sat around playing for hours back then when replayed now make any me and most younger people think 'dude I could play this in 1/10 the time with a decent app!'. Some of Vassals appeal is the speeding up of setup and shuffling etc that slow down many games. Add in rule enforcement and tracking and many games could benefit from electronic enhancement and without them become for all intensive purposes unplayable with busy schedules and extended work hours.

What would he great is a way to do it without taking away the physicality of board games. I want to push the mini or token around. I don't want to sort them, set them out, shuffle the cards etc. I don't think we're at a technical level where I can get everything I'd like now but depending on how VR turns out, it might not be too far off.

Put another way there has never been a time in my life where I could say 'Given an ideal world I'd prefer to spend 20 minutes setting up a game vs 20 more minutes to play a game'.

4. daniel_ream

One of the great things about the board game revolution is the way designers have figured out how to simplify those kinds of mechanics. I just obtained Leaving Earth, which is effectively a Euro rewrite of Liftoff! But it plays in half the time and fits in a box half the size. Star Wars: Rebellion is an actually playable redesign of Avalon Hill's Freedom in the Galaxy.

To get back to the point, Descent: Journeys in the Dark isn't a fully co-op game without a helper app, which won't last as long as the game already has. Descent was released two years before the iPhone.

5. Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere Member

I guess I have to ask "so what?" What is the big deal here?

6. daniel_ream

There isn't one. But the OP was asking for co-op games to play with his wife, which Descent is not absent a helper app.

7. Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere Member

I guess that's fair. The OP and his wife may have access to the helper app, though.

8. TheophilusCarter

TheophilusCarter Active Member

I'm not necessarily opposed to using an app, though I still like the charm of full analog games. :D