Design Project: Lotrowod

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Aglondir

Well-Known Pubber
Reaction score
Introduction

One of the things on my bucket list is to create a LOTR rpg using the heavily modded version of the OWOD rules. This may be a pointless project in the practical sense, since I own The One Ring, the Decipher version, and the ICE version, but I'm doing it for the fun of creating something.

Edit: Project on hold.

Last edited:
I'd be interested if it was set during the period of the Silmarillion, which no RPG has tackled yet. Much more mythic than the 3rd Age.

Weapons

All weapons do lethal damage, except for the club, sap, and whip.

Axes
STR +1: Hatchet
STR +2: Francisca
STR +3: Battle Axe
STR +4: Great Axe

Blades
STR +1: Dagger
STR +2: Short sword
STR +3: Long sword
STR +4: Great sword

Bows/Crossbows
STR +1: N/A
STR +2: Short/Light
STR +3: Long/Heavy
STR +4: Arbalest

Clubs
STR +1: Sap
STR +2: Club
STR +3: Mace
STR +4: Great Club

Miscellaneous
STR +1: Thrown rock, whip, gauntlet
STR +2: Sling
STR +3: Pitchfork or scythe
STR +4: War pick

Polearms
STR +1: N/A
STR +2: Staff
STR +3: Spear
STR +4: Halberd

Last edited:
Staff is pretty powerful, comparatively - basically a Quarterstaff does the same damage as an axe?

I also question if short swords vs long swords actually do more Damage, their benefit is usually in speed & reach.

Staff is pretty powerful, comparatively - basically a Quarterstaff does the same damage as an axe? I also question if short swords vs long swords actually do more Damage, their benefit is usually in speed & reach.

Good points. I agree with you on the staff. I made the damage the same as the axe and short sword since it's like that in D20. The "axe" listing is really for the Fransiscan axe, or throwing axe, which does d6 damage in d20. I didn't want to use the word "Fransiscan" since I figured someone would complain it was not Middle-Earth-ish. What would you think of the staff doing STR+2 bashing?

In regards to the short sword vs. long sword, I tend to agree. But just about every game in exstence has the former doing less damage than the latter.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, its been around 15 years since the last time I played D20 and I never got very familiar with the system overall, but I know that in D&D in general "Strength" is more abstract in regards to combat as it determines one's ability to hit an opponent. I'd probably have to refresh my knowledge on the WoD system(s) to see how it compares. I think making Staff do "bashing damage" in the same manner as clubs would be appropriate.

I'm putting the project on hold while I rethink a few things. I didn't realize there was a "design and developent" forum, which is where this probably belongs.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back