Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Al-Qadim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Ebberon

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
Those are some awesome pictures, Baulderstone. It's interesting to get a view of a life outside of the good ole USA in the 80s.

I've got family in New Jersey. Pizza yes. Bagels yes. Beer, uhhh sorry but no.
One Yuengling is brewed in Pennsylvania, so you know it's good. Two, according to not only my personal beliefs, but family bylaws if you are disparaging Yuengling beer I have to drive to where you are and we have to fight. Nothing personal, it's the rules.:wink:

y8Ty4fp.jpg
Proving my point!

I confess that I cast the single vote for Dragonlance. :smile: I have a lot of love for a number of the settings - Greyhawk, the Forgotten Realms, Kara-Tur, Mystara, Eberron, Ravenloft, but Dragonlance stands out in my mind because it was one that put a moral compass on alignment, allowing DMs to track a character's fall from grace - or their rise to redemption. At the same time, the system for the moon phases affecting magic was kinda neat too. I don't care that people say the adventures were a railroad... If you just let the plot of the books fade into the background and even draw upon them as inspiration, there's plenty of adventure to be found without the modules. :smile:

Later!

Harl

I really like Dragonlance as well no matter how unfashonable in some quarters, I think the hardcover DL Adventures is excellent as is much of the 3e-era campaign material.

Wait? Are we talking about D&D settings in here again?

(Puts down the Kuwait photo album and the bottle Yuengling)

Fine...

My favorite Dragonlance thing was the wargame that was packaged like a module. The rules that came with it were kind of boring, but there was a Dragon article that added hero rules, so you could have characters from the book and the Dragon Highlords running around the map doing quests to affect the war and trying to get countries to enter the war on their side.

I confess that I cast the single vote for Dragonlance.

I have no problem with Dragonlance. I vaguely recall reading the original three books and they weren't awful. I never thought the setting was any worse than most other published settings. I think a lot of people are just being "cool" by pissing all over it and too busy seeing the mote in its eye while overlooking the beam in the eye of their setting of choice...to thoroughly torture the Sermon on the Mount.

Holy shit, Kuwait's got scrub brush! Lucky! We were in the center of the Arabian Peninsula, south of Riyadh, a shade North-East of the Rubh al-Kali ("the Desert of Death," a.k.a. "the Empty Quarter"). There was so much sand to play with! It got old... :sad:

And ants! :grin: You could play with the red ants, they couldn't sting you as bad as the black ants. But you shouldn't have played with either. They're mean. :sad: Just like the wasps. Almost as bad as the scorpions and camel spiders, (those you run away from and tell an adult). :hurry:

Our campament had nice stuff, like plants and rocks and even a lost rabid bat once! Don't play with the rabid bat, either. But decorative pampas grass is fun to play with. It can cut you bad, but it's less mean than the animals. And just like the rocks, they are bigger than a grain of sand! :grin::heart:

:sun: ... so much sand.:cry:

One Yuengling is brewed in Pennsylvania, so you know it's good. Two, according to not only my personal beliefs, but family bylaws if you are disparaging Yuengling beer I have to drive to where you are and we have to fight. Nothing personal, it's the rules.:wink:
You're welcme to drive to Wales, where we shall speak of this gnats water you Americans call beer over a couple of pints of Theakstons Old Peculiar. And then if we can still stand, well, did I mention that I got my black belt last March? :drink:

Oh, we are doing this again now.

(Picks up photo album and Yuengling again. Pauses to glance at the time, shrugs, and takes a swig.)

As my grandfather always said about serving alcohol, "The bar doesn't open until 10 a.m."

Holy shit, Kuwait's got scrub brush! Lucky! We were in the center of the Arabian Peninsula, south of Riyadh, a shade North-East of the Rubh al-Kali ("the Desert of Death," a.k.a. "the Empty Quarter"). There was so much sand to play with! It got old... :sad:

People make fun of Anakin's sand speech, but the guy knew what he was talking about!

And ants! :grin: You could play with the red ants, they couldn't sting you as bad as the black ants. But you shouldn't have played with either. They're mean. :sad:

I found a gecko in my room, and decided to keep it as a pet in a container with holes. It reminded me of catching lizards back home at the creek in my backyard in Australia. Yes, there are places in the world with things called creeks, where there is so much water that it runs openly along the ground night and day, so much that the ground can never drink it all up!

I set up my lizard with some sand and rocks to decorate the place, but then I needed to feed it. Ants, of course! I caught some ants and put them in with my lizard.

The ants ate my lizard. :errr:

Just like the wasps. Almost as bad as the scorpions and camel spiders, (those you run away from and tell an adult). :hurry:

I was the designated spider killer among my friends. As a 7th generation Australian, I get a notable bonus on saves vs. animal poisons.

Our campament had nice stuff, like plants and rocks and even a lost rabid bat once! Don't play with the rabid bat, either.

Wow! A mammal that isn't a rat! Well, I guess it's like a flying rat. The only wild, non-rat mammal I ever saw in Kuwait was a fox, but a Bedouin had already blasted it with a shotgun.

As for birds, we had seagulls near the shore, although sometimes they got caught in the gooey oil clumps in the Gulf. I did see a non-seagull once; an owl. I even got a couple of pictures of it. It was like a Bigfoot sighting.
vHAKJiLCapRZykvPi9wmgCjyXue2ntkoD0myFWrLS62qd4qFZ7GJIeSrurVre88k7AfQuVdOX3EH2OUituExfF_cf_LqLFxGIBCOoEzvkEhg5YT0mfMhPWN0SJ1ue-29fA-TVxddI2zaxLo4CCFM1HpFCVhEUzrbA0LZJU4QV7A-NfOAtTnZ6Qv0h0tKdZMarcE0fxm_cA_4jUVYNVUzSryKf6admxfufSiB9FumDJZRiSivo2s4Y3bG1L0yfaFKpL0ZZddjIDGzOYnLvRBlXWbgB2U4GQBk7dmrf_Qa88VryjC3blEts6GjsqYAcJ6Nw_1WKdd72hHOnCQpV3NdS-evdg2kJ-dNXsNuSk-JeZgNxB3X3nCwtwemzArOvHidqBJhvB7cS0QyBY7fuTrjKXaNZc579W59bNJHJGO6qY64xg93XQUxypr_1CqRaOe8oyU1YNHmhb0EHqm9-bKQYxROFxzZvu92IIXJKMHYF5djdYPOU6SeZ3mEmxtVwb5rHnDy0fvGwzzlISWOnTizBiM3thoSlPPEktNfWFDOBOAXcINmh6wkAMOlN74ZMuuD7YIHAR6mHgwckWD8Le6wmtSkkfEOaYByxp5C8Dv_6jGATvIlgDoPLl0enV-DI_j73wCPgAEZtWaQhyHomItwg8PwukOPh2YOiw=w1025-h696-no

FtRfWxj70dUaxo7Xajze_dzoWaZZQD6NBjEoMZlYLAHPjylGRyZE__T_DTg_OwjFf4WbAgko95vjhHtxc71q_XvR4HE14PJiVon2ZrBTx0z6jTXeI2fGgCbZWfYyJmS-TOQMlxL9PBl8bz7z6vfTh203gTDDwz8o5pavKrFnho7ocCWfweHJ64N-7PXBMdWVUm6Wq2mVWw-6uPYuO0Pjz84yhPDRG-jDeE21RNuGZuwP2HINzUECQUGg202OSJFtv19eHvy7Qj5I3oXggqr7X_65bN9WJa4KL4SdVQbhJit-OZLr9QCQIxS-sJqOuzb9eVwIuGzrEWUXD94EjIp-FU27ZF-gjJrPzSj6-4oid2IVfTlSpoEZSS1bZ_1_7cuUJVTFMamgnZNsERt3nw52ikyaWksChu0_Hkc3i1lB3_fXAR8113darGXynE3D47DLEu3GIKCQPlnqlhKfg3moEGPkABSzX2G3F9c7j28pvZPx838uiPQnu5isKQ8LR91fbX1sz4F4WRs-bbp6pOAsldqcghbzHZL7pcxx9J2aICf5QZsDc5RVgzNC88UD0udCJFiTl6JNHKznPY79AzxTyiOEhvmuDJ7NEGfCB94hnmHobezRdsh8aQQXcKS-uaaMw5vSfoPkjfgxwED38-W_EchdQ1nSzgBVRg=w1018-h695-no

But decorative pampas grass is fun to play with. It can cut you bad, but it's less mean than the animals. And just like the rocks, they are bigger than a grain of sand! :grin::heart:

:sun: ... so much sand.:cry:

And the heat. I think this photo demonstrates it well.
gWylLos1gybVjbvDc8JDDIPeqLeNsHLbZZD-DW3UovCaqaNnCoDqo1RWnAtqT7pR3ZhOW5zmnZ3QP1pDXQIat-bLBG9PlibnIdddYjmufS8F88teShJi-lNjmqfs27qE_8Yal5pnnqFOM-vCsDig3SkU37zYj5Vx1I_TVQYGsT8o68huBb0OnDMeApSE29xPdYv7865QXe6WiO1uMmd7V4M9M6wi6oNFlNK7SerGHCvKe8G8sxIsTuZAmWnSclbGOa-y8C5aTz-_8xKQDcp5CX4U8FEiN2B1xUzdn70GfAKpmvAzM7vCGWaWCB9ajcSRv721Ri2XRhqi7S7PEYrc4OjLLz4scLDzDoZpvKtVBmE-ISAZU-N4TdbqhCFsZ-1bZKVXbKDbJ0qPF2Vrn5SIMZ2lrR6Tfz0iSfARVmSfnCdVK0CNo8Kbr4S2DFq94NGNx6QhzNR_XE0OnHCf24jsWv8g6BJhYnPGW9IO1DwVWu5peQrtimYlOWR5k2IRv7T_P2XwAjUfAh0S_LqdWafdJvr-5D-ghy1mhsJWNgVpX3ii3xOv7oAkJW2T_pSA0nNHrsxmFyR4JDj8w3WohWC2JkEjO8HAJRqV5lBAxjUrsna6giFtmTMqs-fpk3750XpttLlOGf_PyL3tYcFVfcevbKokkUpLuIDQaQ=w1021-h681-no

Yeah, parking there might result in the building collapsing on your car and/or you, but at least it is in the shade, and your car will be a little less skin-meltingly hot when you get back in. It's hot enough in Kuwait that this is a reasonable trade-off. I mean, if the building fall on you and kills you, at least you won't be hot anymore.

Well to wrap this post up, since I included a picture of my father with his car in the last photo post, here is my mother with her car. Driving in Kuwait is a competitive and deadly sport that would terrify a Bostonian, and my mother took it seriously.
nSjp1QkrT0pb6YX6ItVBs4kVsKxTtPR0zVq-tViTpVYsD5PfD68ib2siahbsSNhVwtNOHxDmWwTyx5hnyMlTqntArb7vu3aG2Q8hvJ9rnq4t-69R_MspthwmyFt8uDS9mzPEc8ISmS5jcQQsUNSDbsmhZV7Npux63lLR79Aj1TRLZdqFBXkBYVz656ZDZ47caWFcB154n4WXi0hFW4BiGMcYtJPSGWdKsSpu60XAxOpSP8foY8vH0ZISY2Mig7X13hDPGWhIaeWBgd6JDKPOmps42QkYJfmtuo-zV4QXh2FgAjzXD-YjgC-54fIvigI5o1F20Siu8k2zrFKTG0wgeJxw6bR4a_R2BnSRV8SVfBupDOadw2tN_zipjw_AGbeTdlZ8yBrsRdd3Y4bDdDSsIaZmM0yU7qjuLjrPNmBEZYp90_Tvyjsg06RbcKVBttWYF9SSebsZ6L8N8Ts4zZEUDE0uxWepW8IQezhGsvwB9ZIfW1deSyMZtiuPLjrv1Pnrw-a2YpMSCrASUlypmzzqEwODgbTNBtgXWIkJ00BydgwW7UHjEOM7fQduxbbDasZbZKIF8Sqm-PnHAxCgEBhFLY0nP9F0BRwE2ebEdCkN0vueFA6lKbjGJHll35Df90DCSeg3ZcVGPAaOkRSSCGzIffZ8vZ-CF7_xAA=w1023-h696-no

This was neighborhood we lived in during our third year there. It had streets! The water still came by truck though. That's our landlord's lush front yard in the background. I don't know how much he spent on water. Our yard was mostly tile, but we grew a a lawn in one of the garden patches at one point. Somebody stole it though.

Having a mostly tile yard was great for roller skating.

You're welcme to drive to Wales, where we shall speak of this gnats water you Americans call beer over a couple of pints of Theakstons Old Peculiar. And then if we can still stand, well, did I mention that I got my black belt last March? :drink:
Oh don't count out me being able to drive there. Remember this is the country that launched a sports car into space recently. Granted my budget is a tad smaller than that fellows.
As to the gnat water, your confusing Yuengling with that filth Budweiser. Yuengling is more along the lines of a vienna lager. An amber lager brewed in a germanic style. I am interested in your Old Peculiar though, but in case I don't like it there better be Old Speckled Hen. Just because I'm a colonial, doesn't mean I cant have good taste.:drink:
Lastly we will fight. Black belt or not. I said we were going to fight, not that I was going to win. Despite better judgement one must follow the family bylaws. It's the rules.:wink::grin:

As to the actual topic of conversation. I really love Ravenloft, and have a soft spot in my heart for Mystara and the original "Grey Box" Forgotten Realms. But I've never really gaming in any of it. Perhaps stolen pieces here and there. But I've pretty much played in my own creations, or that of others.

Oh, we are doing this again now.

(Picks up photo album and Yuengling again. Pauses to glance at the time, shrugs, and takes a swig.)

As my grandfather always said about serving alcohol, "The bar doesn't open until 10 a.m."

People make fun of Anakin's sand speech, but the guy knew what he was talking about!

I found a gecko in my room, and decided to keep it as a pet in a container with holes. It reminded me of catching lizards back home at the creek in my backyard in Australia. Yes, there are places in the world with things called creeks, where there is so much water that it runs openly along the ground night and day, so much that the ground can never drink it all up!

I set up my lizard with some sand and rocks to decorate the place, but then I needed to feed it. Ants, of course! I caught some ants and put them in with my lizard.

The ants ate my lizard. :errr:

I was the designated spider killer among my friends. As a 7th generation Australian, I get a notable bonus on saves vs. animal poisons.

Wow! A mammal that isn't a rat! Well, I guess it's like a flying rat. The only wild, non-rat mammal I ever saw in Kuwait was a fox, but a Bedouin had already blasted it with a shotgun.

As for birds, we had seagulls near the shore, although sometimes they got caught in the gooey oil clumps in the Gulf. I did see a non-seagull once; an owl. I even got a couple of pictures of it. It was like a Bigfoot sighting.
vHAKJiLCapRZykvPi9wmgCjyXue2ntkoD0myFWrLS62qd4qFZ7GJIeSrurVre88k7AfQuVdOX3EH2OUituExfF_cf_LqLFxGIBCOoEzvkEhg5YT0mfMhPWN0SJ1ue-29fA-TVxddI2zaxLo4CCFM1HpFCVhEUzrbA0LZJU4QV7A-NfOAtTnZ6Qv0h0tKdZMarcE0fxm_cA_4jUVYNVUzSryKf6admxfufSiB9FumDJZRiSivo2s4Y3bG1L0yfaFKpL0ZZddjIDGzOYnLvRBlXWbgB2U4GQBk7dmrf_Qa88VryjC3blEts6GjsqYAcJ6Nw_1WKdd72hHOnCQpV3NdS-evdg2kJ-dNXsNuSk-JeZgNxB3X3nCwtwemzArOvHidqBJhvB7cS0QyBY7fuTrjKXaNZc579W59bNJHJGO6qY64xg93XQUxypr_1CqRaOe8oyU1YNHmhb0EHqm9-bKQYxROFxzZvu92IIXJKMHYF5djdYPOU6SeZ3mEmxtVwb5rHnDy0fvGwzzlISWOnTizBiM3thoSlPPEktNfWFDOBOAXcINmh6wkAMOlN74ZMuuD7YIHAR6mHgwckWD8Le6wmtSkkfEOaYByxp5C8Dv_6jGATvIlgDoPLl0enV-DI_j73wCPgAEZtWaQhyHomItwg8PwukOPh2YOiw=w1025-h696-no

FtRfWxj70dUaxo7Xajze_dzoWaZZQD6NBjEoMZlYLAHPjylGRyZE__T_DTg_OwjFf4WbAgko95vjhHtxc71q_XvR4HE14PJiVon2ZrBTx0z6jTXeI2fGgCbZWfYyJmS-TOQMlxL9PBl8bz7z6vfTh203gTDDwz8o5pavKrFnho7ocCWfweHJ64N-7PXBMdWVUm6Wq2mVWw-6uPYuO0Pjz84yhPDRG-jDeE21RNuGZuwP2HINzUECQUGg202OSJFtv19eHvy7Qj5I3oXggqr7X_65bN9WJa4KL4SdVQbhJit-OZLr9QCQIxS-sJqOuzb9eVwIuGzrEWUXD94EjIp-FU27ZF-gjJrPzSj6-4oid2IVfTlSpoEZSS1bZ_1_7cuUJVTFMamgnZNsERt3nw52ikyaWksChu0_Hkc3i1lB3_fXAR8113darGXynE3D47DLEu3GIKCQPlnqlhKfg3moEGPkABSzX2G3F9c7j28pvZPx838uiPQnu5isKQ8LR91fbX1sz4F4WRs-bbp6pOAsldqcghbzHZL7pcxx9J2aICf5QZsDc5RVgzNC88UD0udCJFiTl6JNHKznPY79AzxTyiOEhvmuDJ7NEGfCB94hnmHobezRdsh8aQQXcKS-uaaMw5vSfoPkjfgxwED38-W_EchdQ1nSzgBVRg=w1018-h695-no

And the heat. I think this photo demonstrates it well.
gWylLos1gybVjbvDc8JDDIPeqLeNsHLbZZD-DW3UovCaqaNnCoDqo1RWnAtqT7pR3ZhOW5zmnZ3QP1pDXQIat-bLBG9PlibnIdddYjmufS8F88teShJi-lNjmqfs27qE_8Yal5pnnqFOM-vCsDig3SkU37zYj5Vx1I_TVQYGsT8o68huBb0OnDMeApSE29xPdYv7865QXe6WiO1uMmd7V4M9M6wi6oNFlNK7SerGHCvKe8G8sxIsTuZAmWnSclbGOa-y8C5aTz-_8xKQDcp5CX4U8FEiN2B1xUzdn70GfAKpmvAzM7vCGWaWCB9ajcSRv721Ri2XRhqi7S7PEYrc4OjLLz4scLDzDoZpvKtVBmE-ISAZU-N4TdbqhCFsZ-1bZKVXbKDbJ0qPF2Vrn5SIMZ2lrR6Tfz0iSfARVmSfnCdVK0CNo8Kbr4S2DFq94NGNx6QhzNR_XE0OnHCf24jsWv8g6BJhYnPGW9IO1DwVWu5peQrtimYlOWR5k2IRv7T_P2XwAjUfAh0S_LqdWafdJvr-5D-ghy1mhsJWNgVpX3ii3xOv7oAkJW2T_pSA0nNHrsxmFyR4JDj8w3WohWC2JkEjO8HAJRqV5lBAxjUrsna6giFtmTMqs-fpk3750XpttLlOGf_PyL3tYcFVfcevbKokkUpLuIDQaQ=w1021-h681-no

Yeah, parking there might result in the building collapsing on your car and/or you, but at least it is in the shade, and your car will be a little less skin-meltingly hot when you get back in. It's hot enough in Kuwait that this is a reasonable trade-off. I mean, if the building fall on you and kills you, at least you won't be hot anymore.

Well to wrap this post up, since I included a picture of my father with his car in the last photo post, here is my mother with her car. Driving in Kuwait is a competitive and deadly sport that would terrify a Bostonian, and my mother took it seriously.
nSjp1QkrT0pb6YX6ItVBs4kVsKxTtPR0zVq-tViTpVYsD5PfD68ib2siahbsSNhVwtNOHxDmWwTyx5hnyMlTqntArb7vu3aG2Q8hvJ9rnq4t-69R_MspthwmyFt8uDS9mzPEc8ISmS5jcQQsUNSDbsmhZV7Npux63lLR79Aj1TRLZdqFBXkBYVz656ZDZ47caWFcB154n4WXi0hFW4BiGMcYtJPSGWdKsSpu60XAxOpSP8foY8vH0ZISY2Mig7X13hDPGWhIaeWBgd6JDKPOmps42QkYJfmtuo-zV4QXh2FgAjzXD-YjgC-54fIvigI5o1F20Siu8k2zrFKTG0wgeJxw6bR4a_R2BnSRV8SVfBupDOadw2tN_zipjw_AGbeTdlZ8yBrsRdd3Y4bDdDSsIaZmM0yU7qjuLjrPNmBEZYp90_Tvyjsg06RbcKVBttWYF9SSebsZ6L8N8Ts4zZEUDE0uxWepW8IQezhGsvwB9ZIfW1deSyMZtiuPLjrv1Pnrw-a2YpMSCrASUlypmzzqEwODgbTNBtgXWIkJ00BydgwW7UHjEOM7fQduxbbDasZbZKIF8Sqm-PnHAxCgEBhFLY0nP9F0BRwE2ebEdCkN0vueFA6lKbjGJHll35Df90DCSeg3ZcVGPAaOkRSSCGzIffZ8vZ-CF7_xAA=w1023-h696-no

This was neighborhood we lived in during our third year there. It had streets! The water still came by truck though. That's our landlord's lush front yard in the background. I don't know how much he spent on water. Our yard was mostly tile, but we grew a a lawn in one of the garden patches at one point. Somebody stole it though.

Having a mostly tile yard was great for roller skating.
Oh and not to get sidetracked again, but... Your Mom is awesome. Kickin it in like an 81 Firebird! Badass!:smile: The only way she might be cooler is if the car was painted up like the Bandits!:grin:

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back