Game Lines That Died Too Soon (Not RPGs)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
According to the forums for Pocket Battles at BGG, a new contract was signed in 2022. But, the game will be under a new name with probably incompatible mechanics. Radio silence since then, however.
Interesting, you would think they would want to cash in on any nostalgia value but I guess it really wasn’t around very long the first time around.

The lack of proper games, RPG or otherwise, for MotU is surprising. It is a property that should be very easy to monetize.

Yes CMON did a thing but I mean a mainstream game that is well supported and ongoing
I don't get this either. There's just a ton of potential with the MotU property and it just sits there, untapped. It seems tailor-made for a CCG and RPG, nevermind a minis game.

Interesting, you would think they would want to cash in on any nostalgia value but I guess it really wasn’t around very long the first time around.
Yeah, I imagine it's pretty niche. Still, it's not like it contained a ton of high-quality components. Getting it up and going again doesn't seem like a super-expensive endeavor. Then again, I'm not a game publisher. Of course there's also the tinkering and revisions by the designers which may lead to delays. Plus, they have other games they're working on.

Yeah, I imagine it's pretty niche. Still, it's not like it contained a ton of high-quality components. Getting it up and going again doesn't seem like a super-expensive endeavor. Then again, I'm not a game publisher. Of course there's also the tinkering and revisions by the designers which may lead to delays. Plus, they have other games they're working on.
Sadly the biggest gaming challenge for me these days is deciding what to sell and the hassle of selling it, boxing it up and shipping it! I doubt I’ll buy the new line when it comes out but you never know.

Sadly the biggest gaming challenge for me these days is deciding what to sell and the hassle of selling it, boxing it up and shipping it! I doubt I’ll buy the new line when it comes out but you never know.
I'm in the same boat. I sold off about 30 games last November and it was a hassle. I try to be choosier these days regarding my game purchases because there's only so much shelf space and certainly not enough time for everything.

I'm in the same boat. I sold off about 30 games last November and it was a hassle. I try to be choosier these days regarding my game purchases because there's only so much shelf space and certainly not enough time for everything.
I’m really trying to not give up, box everything up and send it to Noble Knight for pennys on the dollar but I’m a lazy man and that is so attractive…

Really, either. I like both for different reasons: the book for nostalgia, the movie for it's parody value.

(Helldivers 2 is also good for it's over the top parody.)
My friend was really into the Starship Troopers game but I never really got into it. The bugs were cool but the infantry were pretty big.

I’m really trying to not give up, box everything up and send it to Noble Knight for pennys on the dollar but I’m a lazy man and that is so attractive…
100% agree on this. I'll list some items for sale or trade, but if I don't get bites, I'll eventually sell to Noble Knight. Fortunately, I'm getting bites on 3 of the Age of Sigmar battle tomes I posted on Bartertown.

Radio silence doesn't necessarily mean a game isn't being actively designed.

I don't get this either. There's just a ton of potential with the MotU property and it just sits there, untapped. It seems tailor-made for a CCG and RPG, nevermind a minis game.
Licenses are complicated and categories of games get broken up and divided between companies.

I still have my Skaven fleet.
Not to worry, any new game will be in a deliberately incompatible form with no crossover fleet potential.

That being said, you've got me thinking. I don't care for Age of Sigmar but a game of weird flying ships in that setting would be really cool.

Not to worry, any new game will be in a deliberately incompatible form with no crossover fleet potential.

That being said, you've got me thinking. I don't care for Age of Sigmar but a game of weird flying ships in that setting would be really cool.
I already said it upthread but let me reiterate how frustrated I was that Dreadfleet was a different scale :irritated:

View attachment 79578

Don’t know anyone else who played it. Never hear it mentioned. Real interesting universe. 2D10’s with exploding dice. Rulebook was a difficult read though. Still have my boxed set.
The cool thing is unlike the board and minis games the OP was talking about a lot of these RPGs, like Shatterzone, are still available for purchase. I own it but have never played.

The cool thing is unlike the board and minis games the OP was talking about a lot of these RPGs, like Shatterzone, are still available for purchase. I own it but have never played.
Ah shit, there's my poor reading skills again. Even clicked on the thread that is in the Board and Miniature Games and still posted an RPG. Apologies all around and fucking right off!

I'm not sure if this counts as a "line that died too soon" so much as just "never found a wide audience", but Terry Gore's wargame with the painfully generic title "Medieval Warfare", independently published as a spiral bound pamphlet until eventually getting a hardcover after Gore himself passed through Foundry Miniatures, is, IMO, the best miniature wargame I have ever played.

Terry Gore himself was a professor of medieval warfare, but rather than make a overly complex, pedantic simulation he instead took the existing WRG structure and streamlined it in a way that focused on achieving historical results through abstraction. But not the DBX path (which I found too abstract personally, to be satisfying, it's more like an advanced game of rock paper scissors to me). Essentially he hits that sweet spot just above Warmaster, where it's abstracted enough to play quickly and easily, but still feels like each stand of troops has their own individual character.

I've been working on doing a fantasy adaptation of the system. Not something I've seriously attempted to finish until after Phaserip, but enough for me to play very successful games with my group.

Dreadfleet has always struck me as an odd decision but it points firmly to GW's desire to force fans of earlier games to buy new figures.

I was a bit disappointed that Warlord did Warlords of Erewhon, a skirmish game instead of a Pike and Shotte fantasy game.

I was the guy who tried just about else everything before finally going to Warhammer. I've got Void, Vor the Maelstrom, Kryomek, $tarcorp$ (which is pretty neat), Kill Zone (which is awesome and certainly died before its time), Fantasy Warlord, Battle System 2nd Edition (which is really good but also pretty incomplete and not functional as a competitive game), Fantasy Warriors (I love being able to shoot messengers carrying orders), Legendary Battles (which shows us how dull a game balanced by a million computer simulations can be), Age of Chivalry. Most of these could be said to have died before their time. I also have Star Farers which became Warhammer 40000 really and many Mantic Games but those aren't dead yet.

I was a bit disappointed that Warlord did Warlords of Erewhon, a skirmish game instead of a Pike and Shotte fantasy game.

I suspect that's an issue with not stepping on the toes of GW, since BP/HC/P&S are already essentially just Warmaster

Not that Warlords of Erehwon is terrible, it's just not a big block rank and flank game. I mean, sure I have Kings of War and Kings of War is really good for huge battles but I miss standing and shooting and fleeing units.

Not that Warlords of Erehwon is terrible, it's just not a big block rank and flank game. I mean, sure I have Kings of War and Kings of War is really good for huge battles but I miss standing and shooting and fleeing units.

Yeah, there's a level of abstraction where it stops feeling visceral, and too much like a eurogame to me.

All of them? Alternity, Grim Tales, Masterbook, Unisystem, pretty much everything that isn’t readily available on Drivethrurpg and a lot that is.

Honestly, the only reason these lines are “dead” is due to stupid copyright law preventing fans from continually supporting them and being compensated for doing so.

lmao, wrong thread RPG boy.

(Dumbass RPG post removed.)

While I'm glad it didn't go to the neverending limits of the Marvel Legendary system, I actually really liked Cryptozoic's DC Deckbuilder Game but after the half-a$$ed Rebirth it just died...

Was the Legendary card game system related to the Marvel/DC CCG in the 90s? I think it was called Overpower?

(Dumbass RPG post removed.)

While I'm glad it didn't go to the neverending limits of the Marvel Legendary system, I actually really liked Cryptozoic's DC Deckbuilder Game but after the half-a$$ed Rebirth it just died...
If you like the Cryptozoic system I highly recommend Epic Spell Wars Annihilageddon. It’s a much better theme (to me) than the superheroes.

GAMEWRIGHT-101.jpg
pic392138.jpg
I loved these two games when I was a kid.

Was the Legendary card game system related to the Marvel/DC CCG in the 90s? I think it was called Overpower?
Never played Overpower and I don't think so. This is Deckbuilding as in Thunderstone or Dominion--but even more suitable for solo play. (The Alien implementation is the best I've played, though there are a metric ton I haven't)

Never played Overpower and I don't think so. This is Deckbuilding as in Thunderstone or Dominion--but even more suitable for solo play. (The Alien implementation is the best I've played, though there are a metric ton I haven't)
Alien is also my favorite Legendary game, I have played all except Buffy I think.

That said I wasn’t taken with Marvel Legendary (although Villains was ok) or the DC deck builder. I much prefer Sentinels of the Multiverse for a superhero card game. I feel playing an individual hero that feels unique compared to a stable of heroes really enhances the experience.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back