Golden Heroes online (VTT + Discord) interest check

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gringnr

D6 Nutz
Reaction score
So I was thinking of running a Golden Heroes game over Discord and Roll20.

Would be weekly or biweekly, whatever works.

Only one adventure planned, but if it goes well, who knows?

Would be using the Golden Heroes rules, with the following changes:

-Aside from the main power generation table, all of the sub-tables (Energy Attack Type, Advantageous Backgrounds, etc.) will be player's choice. This is based on conversations I've had with author Simon Burley about how he intended the game to be vs. the changes Games Workshop insisted on.

-Energy Attack gets a gimmick at every Grade, not just Grade 2+. This was also Burley's original intent.

All are welcome, though I will likely cap group size, if necessary.

Lemme know if you're interested, I will make an effort to schedule whenever is best for the respective time zones of all concerned.

Don't know the system (there a quickstart somewhere?), interested more for the GM and the theme...

Don't know the system (there a quickstart somewhere?), interested more for the GM and the theme...
The system is OOP with no QS. I will make a copy available to you, or anyone who needs one, in PDF.

The system itself is basically (by the author's admission) a re-skinned Gamma World 1e.

There are a few differences, but overall that's pretty much it.

It is a street-level superhero game. The range of "Power Rolls" used to determine which Powers you get is anywhere from 5-10. The average is 7-8. So, these could be used for all different powers, or you can roll a few powers and use power rolls to upgrade those.

I'd be planning on running a session 0, and this could be used to do chargen if anyone wants to do that all together. I think Silverlion Silverlion may have made a character already. But, since power determination is mostly ransom, some people like to roll multiple characters and then keep one.

To put the Power Rolls thing in perspective, I've made a few Marvel characters in Golden Heroes, using the original Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe as a guide to how powerful each character should be.

She-Hulk, Captain America, and The Punisher each took 14 Power Rolls to make. Golden Heroes characters get between 5 and 10. With 7-8 being typical.

I could likely do biweekly, any guesstimate on number of sessions not including session 0? 2-3, 4-6? I do have my schedule for the year so when we sit down to nail our days and times I will be able to let you know if I can play at that time.

I have Golden Heroes but have never played.

I could likely do biweekly, any guesstimate on number of sessions not including session 0? 2-3, 4-6? I do have my schedule for the year so when we sit down to nail our days and times I will be able to let you know if I can play at that time.

I have Golden Heroes but have never played.
That's a good question. I guess it'd depend on the length of sessions we played.

The scenario I have in mind is one I wrote myself (a rarity). I've run it before, in sessions of 2-3 hours each. As I recall, it took us 5 sessions. So, I'll say 4-6.

I believe Codename: Spandex is a retro-clone of it. I'm not sure if it maps 1:1 but I think it does.

I believe Codename: Spandex is a retro-clone of it. I'm not sure if it maps 1:1 but I think it does.
Codename: Spandex maps.1-to-1. It is a very faithful clone. And it's free. You could easily run any GH material using C:S with no conversion (and I have).

I have a few very minor quibbles with C:S. One, it renames everything, probably to avoid copyright issues. It still maps 1-to-1, but could cause some confusion. Two, the Attribute generation is different, and I prefer 3D6 down the line. C:S has the player fill a 4x4 grid with 3D6 rolls, and pick the best "four in a row." Third, the Area Effect Gimmick is missing from the Energy Attack Power (I asked the author about this, he said it was an accidental oversight).

I am interested. I long for some superhero gaming. I suspect being on the other side of the Atlantic might make scheduling too difficult, it's hard at the best of times but if the timing is right I'd be happy to join.

Codename: Spandex maps.1-to-1. It is a very faithful clone. And it's free. You could easily run any GH material using C:S with no conversion (and I have).

I have a few very minor quibbles with C:S. One, it renames everything, probably to avoid copyright issues. It still maps 1-to-1, but could cause some confusion. Two, the Attribute generation is different, and I prefer 3D6 down the line. C:S has the player fill a 4x4 grid with 3D6 rolls, and pick the best "four in a row." Third, the Area Effect Gimmick is missing from the Energy Attack Power (I asked the author about this, he said it was an accidental oversight).
I did roll the character I made with the rules the original way (Hence an 8 Dex.)

I am interested. I long for some superhero gaming. I suspect being on the other side of the Atlantic might make scheduling too difficult, it's hard at the best of times but if the timing is right I'd be happy to join.
Only a 6 hour difference in our time, so it should be doable. I actually invited a friend from the UK, not sure if he will accept. But I was kind of planning on scheduling that way anyhow.

I downloaded Codename: Spandex and I'll see if I can create a character tomorrow.

I've actually met Simon back in the days when we were in the optimistically named UK Roleplaying Design Collective. He was very helpful when I was working on Bounty Hunters of the Atomic Wastelands, providing detailed feedback on an early draft. I don't think he ever quite forgave me for releasing BHAW as a free game. His view was that no one will ever take seriously something given away for free.

Here's the first cut of my character. I hope I did it right. It's all rolled as per the rules, or at least my best understanding of them. If it looks ok I'll fill in more of the background elements, like name and such. Also need to choose a weapon for the Weapon Skill power.
I am also not sure how Tough Skin and Armour stack - they seem to give the same bonus.

GoldenHeroes-02.png

I rolled up a character I'll be using a while back, Iron Lion, he's been given his powers by a strange piece of meteoric iron imbedded in his body. When he is needed, he can transform into a lion-man form, of serious strength and toughness. He's Not agile at ALL though. (Part of his toughness prevents him from dodging at all.)

Here's the first cut of my character. I hope I did it right. It's all rolled as per the rules, or at least my best understanding of them. If it looks ok I'll fill in more of the background elements, like name and such. Also need to choose a weapon for the Weapon Skill power.
I am also not sure how Tough Skin and Armour stack - they seem to give the same bonus.

I remember having the same question about Armour and Tough Skin. I asked around (may have even asked Simon Burley, but I dont remember), but I can't remember the concensus that was reached. I seem to recall that it was a thing where according to the letter of the rules, they can stack. Perhaps not the spirit of the rules, but the letter.

On the one hand, it would basically allow a character to effectively have a second Grade in either of those powers, while circumventing the "can't Dodge" restriction that comes with Tough Skin Grade 2. On the other hand, it's probably not the only "exploit" in the GH rules, and I'm not inclined to start playing "Power cop."

My take on it: these two can stack, as long as the rationale for having both is solid.

Edit: in a case such as this, I'd also be inclined to let the player take Grade 2 in one or the other, instead of one of each. Provided, of course that's what the player wanted. Otherwise, play it as is. The interesting power combos and need to rationalize them are one of the coolest parts of GH!

Last edited:
The point about stacking Tough Skin and Armour is that they both just give WC4 Defence and HTK /3 / HTC/2 mods, so it is there isn't really a stacking effect - one is just redundant.

Happy to drop Tough Skin for Armour Grade 2 - though it seems like a free upgrade. I could drop the Sidekick so at least the Power Roll count will tallies.

Or I can just reroll Tough and see what happens.

The point about stacking Tough Skin and Armour is that they both just give WC4 Defence and HTK /3 / HTC/2 mods, so it is there isn't really a stacking effect - one is just redundant.

Happy to drop Tough Skin for Armour Grade 2 - though it seems like a free upgrade. I could drop the Sidekick so at least the Power Roll count will tallies.

Good point re: stacking and redundancy. I could see a rationale, though, as it's nice to have protection when unarmoured as well.

As far as free upgrades, it's acceptable to use a Power Roll in this manner. You can use a single Power Roll to upgrade from Grade 1 to Grade 2. Adding another Grade (so Grade 2 to Grade 3) would cost 2 Power Rolls, and so on. I know this isn't exactly the same as deciding to use the Power Roll while rolling initially, but in the interest of rationale, I'm good with it.

OK, I'll take the Armour Grade 2, keep the sidekick. The balancing factor is the power Armour, Strengh and Heightened sense all come from the suit. Without the suit, Strength reverts to 5 which was my original roll.

OK, I'll take the Armour Grade 2, keep the sidekick. The balancing factor is the power Armour, Strengh and Heightened sense all come from the suit. Without the suit, Strength reverts to 5 which was my original roll.
This is really awesome. GH doesn't ha e "weaknesses" as such, but I've found that adding limitations, or.embracing existing ones, can make for a more interesting character.

Well, good luck! I'd have probably upgraded Weapon Skill to Grade 3, because armor+weapon is a pretty awesome combo, but having a sidekick is cool as well.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back