GW The Old World is back?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Neon

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hey all
It seems Games Workshop is planning on reviving The Old World.
Does anyone have the scoop on this? Are we talking table top miniatures game or digital game? I would love both but am more excited for a tabletop game. The theme of most GW lines don't interest me that much but I do realize they have quality miniatures!

Hey all
It seems Games Workshop is planning on reviving The Old World.
Does anyone have the scoop on this? Are we talking table top miniatures game or digital game? I would love both but am more excited for a tabletop game. The theme of most GW lines don't interest me that much but I do realize they have quality miniatures!
It never went away in digital - the two Total Warhammer games, with a third on it's way, have been set there, along with another Blood Bowl game on it's way.

Currently there's very little information on it, other than them planning it as the Fantasy equivalent of the Horus Heresy game; a look back into the past of the setting and using an older rule set, and it looks like it'll be primarily based around the Old World and the main human cultures. The original 2019 announcement said it was still years away, and I doubt COVID has sped up development, so I doubt we'll get any firm details for a while.

This was fresh news more than a year ago. Great news, certainly, but chatter has been going on for a while.

Besides the Warhammer Community articles that have trickled out, there are plenty of YouTube speculation videos out there.

It's still 3 to 4 years off. Tere's a community on Facebook, but mostly it's just arguments about what the game is going to be, and people saying how much AoS sucks. The reveals, besides the Kislev model designs, have mostly been maps, but the latest Bretonnia maps gives a good indication of the time period its taking place in - roughly 200 years prior to the start of the End Times

I would sink money into a beautiful gothic Empire Army if the Old World was back in action with official backing and miniatures and such. (not like I really need another army LOL)

Brugelberg
I don't remember all the provinces but I will be going FULL GOTHIC mode with zweihanders, heavy cavalry, cannons, plumes, pistols, arquebuses, and of course baroque embellishments everywhere. This time around I would go 80% fluff with a nod to tabletop performance because I don't play with jerks. I may lose but it will be GLORIOUS

I don't remember all the provinces but I will be going FULL GOTHIC mode with zweihanders, heavy cavalry, cannons, plumes, pistols, arquebuses, and of course baroque embellishments everywhere. This time around I would go 80% fluff with a nod to tabletop performance because I don't play with jerks. I may lose but it will be GLORIOUS

Bruegelberg is a line of miniatures based on the Old World by Lead Adventure games.

9fb8dcc81e17a287c9dbb93dc124a772_original.jpg

Apparently you and I are going to build the same army. :grin: I want to do an Empire-centric Dogs of War style mercenary army. I'm all in on plumes and slashed sleeves.

Bruegelberg is a line of miniatures based on the Old World by Lead Adventure games.

9fb8dcc81e17a287c9dbb93dc124a772_original.jpg
Those are pretty sweet. What are the infantry prices like? The webstore is out of stock so it doesn't say.

Fair enough.:grin:

I accumulated mine over the course of two kickstarters - even with the discount....let's just say my bank account took a few critical hits...

But, kinda like Tom Meier's elves, they were just the best of all possible options. Each one is so full of character. I have the entire village/town set as well

I accumulated mine over the course of two kickstarters - even with the discount....let's just say my bank account took a few critical hits...

But, kinda like Tom Meier's elves, they were just the best of all possible options. Each one is so full of character. I have the entire village/town set as well
I'll probably mix in some GW figs anyway. I quite like their Zweihanders, and the Freeguild Guard is a good way to build bulk. I might use the Bruegelberg stuff for front rankers and the like if the scale works.

Apparently you and I are going to build the same army. :grin: I want to do an Empire-centric Dogs of War style mercenary army. I'm all in on plumes and slashed sleeves.
I miss all the Tilean and Estalian mercenaries you used to be able to field in WFB.

6th edition was the glory days.

But as Kislev is confirmed as coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if other Empire variations are on their way back as well.

I miss all the Tilean and Estalian mercenaries you used to be able to field in WFB.
Me too. I wish the DoW army book had been a little less gonzo. More distinct
city states and less giants and shit. I may have to try and get my hands on some of those pavaise lugging xbow guys.

6th edition was the glory days.

But as Kislev is confirmed as coming back, I wouldn't be surprised if other Empire variations are on their way back as well.

Our 6th edition Estalian campaign was interrupted by Covid, but we got some games in. It's a very solid ruleset that has stood the test of time.

The 6th Edition rulebook is cheap as chips on eBay, as are the army books. Maybe £5-10 each. The Lexicanum website will help you tell which books are 6th Edition. The core rulebook also contains siege and skirmish rules.

The General's Compendium is a great gaming resource, not just for Warhammer, and has held its value - maybe £30. There are also annual compendiums (2004 has the Dogs of War army list), and a booklet of really flavourful skirmish scenarios.

The Ravening Hordes supplement contains temporary army lists for all armies, and was a stopgap while the army books were being worked on. The forces balanced well, but had less wild fantasy weirdness than the army books.

There's something very liberating about collecting dead games - it's yours now, to do with as you and your buddies please. Always was, but there's no ongoing update of rules. We really like playing big armies of core troops, rather than treating them as a "tax" to get to the good stuff.

The Assault Group (TAG) makes a lot of fine metal Renaissance figures cheaply, and you can build your army as you please, with original minis or modern ones. Warlord Games also do a great range of Italian Wars, plastic Landsknechts, and other 16th Century forces.

Brueghelburg minis are gorgeous, so are the Skull and Crown skeletons, taken from contemporary Medieval to Renaissance art.

6th is my favourite edition after 3rd. The core rulebook + Ravening Hordes is also the most balanced the game has ever been, but the army books in 6th weren't bad - every army was viable - until the revised Dwarf army book, which broke the whole edition.

The General's Compendium and Skirmish are my two favourite wargame supplements of any game ever.

What I really loved though was the individual smaller army lists based purely on fluff - it was the only edition where you had specific armies for each of the 4 Skaven clans, you had the Dark Elf Slaanesh cult, and a bunch of off the wall experimental lists in White Dwarf.

White Dwarf in general was just fantastic during that era - always full of fun hobby and terrain projects

Yeah sixth, and then along comes seventh with promises of more balanced rules and nerfed magic followed by a string of the most broken army books ever and eighth well let's just say they lost me at eighth.

Bruegleburg is the pure spirit of Warhammer.

I really really like the unofficial 9th edition by the Warhammer Armies Project, in every way that I was disappointed by The 9th Age bullshit.

Interesting, I haven't heard of that one. The problem with retro-clones is that they're infinitely divisible.

Everyone writes their own version. So, you can never get a real consensus or movement. That's the one thing GW has to offer that might interest me. I mean, they could put out that pure and functional rpg / wargame hybrid of my dreams but they won't they'll put out some nighmarish shit with special dice and cards and collectable characters that cost $50 and come with a custom die that you need to play the game.

Everyone writes their own version. So, you can never get a real consensus or movement.

Well, sure, as an overall thing. The nice thing about garagehammer is that it's really just the - however many people in your playing circle - you need to come to a consensus with. But the Warhammer Armies Project has been popular enough to get it's own section on 1d4 chan, and has been growing in popularity over the last few years to the point it's often the topic of converation in warhammer-themed groups on Facebook. Even though ti lacks the, shall we say "legitimacy" of GW's published works, for those looking for an alternative to AoS it basically provides everything that any fan could want from the game, if the game didn't cater in any way to a tournament crowd. It's entirely fluff-based, throwing the notion of balance out the window so that every army is basically the best possible version of that army, and in this way - it kinda actually balances out inadvertantly. And the rules are basically the best parts of 6the, 7th, and 8th cherrypicked to make a game that doesn't really favour any one type of army build over another. Sure someone could exploit the rules, but the game just isn't aimed at that sort of player.

Anyways, I just find it really endearing, and if the Old World project turns out to be some ccg-app-AoS hybrid monstrosity, at least there will be that alternative for those who want to play a "living" version of the WFB game system.

Well, sure, as an overall thing. The nice thing about garagehammer is that it's really just the - however many people in your playing circle - you need to come to a consensus with.
Whoa I just used the term garagehammer in another thread. Is that like a thing? That would be cool if it was. It does match my experience perfectly but I only played in Southern California.

Whoa I just used the term garagehammer in another thread. Is that like a thing? That would be cool if it was. It does match my experience perfectly but I only played in Southern California.

Yeah, I've been using the term for like a decade now

If they're going east, it'll probably see Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarves as DLC, with a very outside chance of Nippon as well. It's probably too far north, but it would be interesting to see if they do anything with the southern polar gate as well.

Cathay has already been announced. The designs are being done by the GW team (who revealed the Kislev models the characters in the trailer are based on last year) and it looks like Warhammer: The Old World is being developed in tandem with Warhammer: TW III, meaning we may see both this year

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back