Let's Read the ALIEN RPG

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
When I said "canon" I was making reference to "Head Canon".....I figured that was implied
Oh your post was totally clear. Sorry I was more explaining my own use of it earlier to clarify that Gaska decides canon in the "corporate" sense, not "single author vision of truth" sense in case I'd left that impression.

There's this great Youtube Channel called Watchtower Database, that is exclusively devoted to making videos about the Timm-Dini DC Animated Universe, and they spend hours talking about canon. Like a good 75% of their content that I've seen is focused on whether this or that comic book series or tie-in product is canon, whether The BtAS is a different canon from JLA, trying to find canon explanations for stuff like the character design changes in the final season of Batman (the kind of stuff that you had to do to earn a Marvel No-Prize back in the day). I find it incredibly entertaining, myself. Like, good fan theories that can recontextualize a work and give you a fresh way to re view old favourites.
Thanks for that.
Back in the 19th century old Sherlock Holmes fans used to call working out canon, when that was new, "The Game".

A good GI Joe film would at least know that Duke is a Master Sergeant and that Cobra Commander is not Dr Mindbender.

Honestly, her uncanny resemblance to the girl from Parks & Rec I found very distracting.
I knew her from Legion where she was very similar so it fit to me.
Amber Midthunder and Aubrey Plaza are both in Legion. Watching that may either help you separate them in your mind, or blow it apart. Given the rest of the show, the latter is more likely :grin:

IMG_5795.jpeg

Amber Midthunder and Aubrey Plaza are both in Legion. Watching that may either help you separate them in your mind, or blow it apart. Given the rest of the show, the latter is more likely :grin:

View attachment 69633
Oh... is Aubrey Plaza the one from Parks & Rec he was referring to (haven't watched that). I don't consider them similar, IMO.

...Do you mean you see the first film as an artistically closed work in need of no sequels or similar?

Yeah, exactly. I enjoy some of the comics I've read but those have nothing to do with Ripley.

But at the end of the day I think the original film is complete unto itself, I've warmed to Aliens but my first reaction to its 80s action take was no thanks. Still not a fan of its sentimental elements, particularly the humanization of androids.

Yeah, exactly. I enjoy some of the comics I've read but those have nothing to do with Ripley.

But at the end of the day I think the original film is complete unto itself, I've warmed to Aliens but my first reaction to its 80s action take was no thanks. Still not a fan of its sentimental elements, particularly the humanization of androids.
Seemed like a logical progression to me. She works for a big corporation, and destroyed their assets. She explains why, and they send some colonists first to see what they can see, then send some marines to get a sample if there is one. They win if the colony succeeds without the alien, and they win if it fails but they get the alien.

Seemed like a logical progression to me. She works for a big corporation, and destroyed their assets. She explains why, and they send some colonists first to see what they can see, then send some marines to get a sample if there is one. They win if the colony succeeds without the alien, and they win if it fails but they get the alien.

It's not about it being a logical progression (although how Ripley transforms from second-in-command of a freighter to superbadass warrior is a bit eyerolling), it's that it changes the genre, look and tone of the original in a way I don't care for.

Really, most sequels are not needed, I feel the same way about T2 , etc. I just like films and novels that are self-contained, sequels are with few exceptions (Empire, Godfather II) a clear case of rapidly diminishing returns.

It's not about it being a logical progression (although how Ripley transforms from second-in-command of a freighter to superbadass warrior is a bit eyerolling), it's that it changes the genre, look and tone of the original in a way I don't care for.

Really, most sequels are not needed, I feel the same way about T2 , etc. I just like films and novels that are self-contained, sequels are with few exceptions (Empire, Godfather II) a clear case of rapidly diminishing returns.
I look at them as different genres in a way that was pretty fresh at the time. Alien was horror, aliens action, alien 3 thriller

That's actually what I like about Aliens as a sequel - it's not just a retread of the original film. It's also one of the reasons that I don't care for Alien 3, which I don't think brings enough originality to the table to justify its existence.

That's actually what I like about Aliens as a sequel - it's not just a retread of the original film. It's also one of the reasons that I don't care for Alien 3, which I don't think brings enough originality to the table to justify its existence.
I'm not gonna lie, you had me in the first half. But where Alien was a Horror film, Alien 3 was more intrigue/thriller.

I think each of the original three movies has its own genre, with the sci-fi elements serving to portray that genre.

The first is a horror movie. The second is an action movie. The third is a prison movie.

As problematic as the third movie was in ways, it at least had a theme. I think that's what's missing from the subsequent films, particularly Alien: Resurrection.

Prometheus was uneven, but had some interesting concepts and at least had a theme, which is probably something like "there are things we're better off not knowing". But it didn't really have a strong genre to it. There are horror elements, action elements, dramatic elements... but not in the way of the first three films.

I haven't yet seen Alien: Covenant. Not sure how that happened.... will have to give it a watch out of sheer curiosity.

I haven't yet seen Alien: Covenant. Not sure how that happened.... will have to give it a watch out of sheer curiosity.

It's not bad. It's skippable, though. I think the worst part of it is the segment where the proto-Alien attacks the ship and the film's tone turns into a cartoon for a few minutes.

What I liked more was the backstory. I think the backstory for Covenant would be a more interesting movie than Covenant was.

It's not about it being a logical progression (although how Ripley transforms from second-in-command of a freighter to superbadass warrior is a bit eyerolling),
Actually, Kane was the X.O.
DYxoa3H.jpg

Ripley was Warrant Officer and 3rd in command.
Alien_Sigourney1.jpg

Then came Jonesy.
37r550k6bih41.jpg

uFEGpS0.gif

I’m a big fan of the tiny twig that somehow holds up the gigantic log that’s capable of crushing the Predator.

I think each of the original three movies has its own genre, with the sci-fi elements serving to portray that genre.

The first is a horror movie. The second is an action movie. The third is a prison movie.

As problematic as the third movie was in ways, it at least had a theme. I think that's what's missing from the subsequent films, particularly Alien: Resurrection.

Prometheus was uneven, but had some interesting concepts and at least had a theme, which is probably something like "there are things we're better off not knowing". But it didn't really have a strong genre to it. There are horror elements, action elements, dramatic elements... but not in the way of the first three films.

Prometheus was At The Mountains of Madness, Covenant was House of Frankenstein.

All this talk of Blade Runner and Terminator being part of the Alien franchise got me thinking.
What about Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri being part of the franchise?
Think about it,
Alpha Centauri's ship leaves right before Skynet instigates a nuclear war
Terminator is the immediate aftermath of the nuclear war.
Blade Runner is in the post collapse of Skynet, but before the earth is terraformed.
And Alien is after the earth is terraformed.

The factions from Alpha Centauri disappear (either via ascension with Planet or getting wiped out by another of Planets failed awakening) before the people on earth regain spaceflight capabilities.
I'm gonna add Starship Troopers and John Carpenters The Thing to this list.

Apparently the new Alien: Romulus series is retconning away the prequel movies and bringing back the Giger biomechanics and cassette futurism aesthetic.

Welp, I imagine that creates all sorts of new continuity errors for the ttrpg if the current ones weren't bad enough. The ttrpg had previously been assuming the seven foot albino humanoid engineers were responsible for all the ruins and creating the aliens and so on, but now they just don't exist anymore. Is this going to require a new edition to fix all the continuity problems this creates?

Apparently the new Alien: Romulus series is retconning away the prequel movies and bringing back the Giger biomechanics and cassette futurism aesthetic.

Welp, I imagine that creates all sorts of new continuity errors for the ttrpg if the current ones weren't bad enough. The ttrpg had previously been assuming the seven foot albino humanoid engineers were responsible for all the ruins and creating the aliens and so on, but now they just don't exist anymore. Is this going to require a new edition to fix all the continuity problems this creates?
I think at this point in our timeline any RPG company trying to make sense out of the churn of industrial IPs - especially one like Alien with such slippery canon in the first place - would quickly exhaust themselves on the edition treadmill. Still, if the new thing takes off maybe they'll try for a do-over. One of the reasons we (my group, all Alien fanatics) didn't bother with the official game was because of the prequel BS, so maybe there's a market for an alternate updated version. Sort of like a Star Wars RPG that only covers A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back and then leaves the rest wide open.

I don't know. If the new stories takes place between Alien and Aliens, it doesn't necessarily preclude Prometheus et al, it just means they don't feature in Romulus.

I don't know. If the new stories takes place between Alien and Aliens, it doesn't necessarily preclude Prometheus et al, it just means they don't feature in Romulus.
I think the Romulus guy is on record as saying he hated the direction things went in the prequels. That doesn't mean much for the RPG, but I doubt he'll be leaning into the new stuff as from what I read, the whole "mid-Engineers", "Aliens as bioweapons" and "David recreates the Aliens" stuff is his bete noir.

I don't blame him, but there's nothing to indicate he'll retcon that out. Least, not yet.

I don't blame him, but there's nothing to indicate he'll retcon that out. Least, not yet.
As you say, with where it sits on the timeline he could easily get away with no retcon. Going from the interview he definitely sees the Alien as a species in its own right, rather than as a creation or a by-blow.

Well, if anyone can fix it, Noah Hawley might be able to. I like the material he works on.

Hawley's statements are also vague and ambiguous. He says it wasn’t created as a bioweapon but evolved over millions of years, but since he also likes the Giger aesthetic he must realize that the XX121s and the Derelict are related somehow. I’m hoping he might go with the obscure theories positing that the XX121s are part of the biotech, possibly even intelligent beings under the right circumstances.

Remember, humanity doesn’t encounter the XX121s under ideal conditions. They first encounter eggs in a ship broadcasting a biohazard warning. The most logical theory I found so far is that it was a Demeter situation: the pilot didn’t know what the cargo was until it broke containment and infected him (and killed the rest of the crew according to the Aliens novelization). Then this cargo goes on to infect Hadley's Hope and build a "hive" directly under a reactor, which some theories posit was a budding spacecraft. The XX121s excelled at observational learning, able to cut power and operate elevators after only short encounters. The reactor didn't shutdown once the coolant was interrupted but went on to violently explode, suggesting either illegal cost-cutting measures or deliberate sabotage, but the XX121s didn't seem to realize the danger as they made no attempt to evacuate.

The problem with the XX121s, as shown by the Dark Horse (and later Marvel) novels and comics, as well as the video games and the later movies, is that there's only so much you can do with them as mindless beasts before it becomes repetitive and stale and writers resort to increasingly silly contrivances like a bazillion new castes, talking albino predaliens that can infect XX121s, androids that mimic XX121s, humanoid androids that are grown from XX121 eggs, giant facehuggers, humans and androids being infected with pathogens that turn them into weird monsters, mad scientists with god complexes, evil androids with Pinocchio complexes, etc.

The movie pitch I heard involving a space elevator sky scraper infested with giant arachnid XX121s that the protagonists have to escape sounds interesting, but it still suffers from feeling like they're throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks Madlibs style.

What I think works best is an anthology format that doesn't rely on bringing the same characters or their family members back after their stories have concluded. I'll make an exception for Aliens and Isolation because those were good, but I don't need a new story featuring Ripley, Hicks, Bishop and Jordan coming back and fighting the XX121s again. Maybe you could turn Outbreak, Nightmare Asylum, Earth War and Red Harvest into movies or tv shows that feature the foursome fighting biomechanical horrors before finally going out with a blaze of glory, but do we really need that? The actors are way too old unless you use CGI to de-age them or make it an animated movie/series where they just voice their characters. It takes away resources that could feature entirely new characters and stories that aren't direct sequels or cash in on nostalgia.

I'm surprised Disney hasn't decided to adapt stories from the Dark Horse comics, given how eager they were to adapt stories and characters from the Marvel superhero comics. For some bizarre reason they keep trying to make up new stories that don't land, rather than adapting tried and true stories from the past.

Of all the comics and novels, I think the Labyrinth story featuring the character Paul Church should be first to be adapted. It is exceptionally creepy, particularly the sequences in the diseased hive where the XX121s resort to their own science experiments in order to reproduce and survive the sickness (this implicitly shows the XX121s are intelligent). Their attempts fail and they all die, but Church survives and goes on to do his own experiments continuing their legacy, which I find the most disturbing part in a psychological and philosophical sense. May add some visions of the Giger-esque "goddess" seen by Gabriel Cruz in Bloodlines, since I feel those would be quite appropriate here for Church to experience.

If it where me, I'd make the story about the corporate machinations to weaponise the xenomorphs and resistance efforts to stop that.

More Outland than Alien really.

Keep the creatures hidden or only show them in remote outposts.

If it where me, I'd make the story about the corporate machinations to weaponise the xenomorphs and resistance efforts to stop that.

This ^ I'd much prefer something like this with the backdrop being the Aliens and the general horrors of space and space exploration. The horror springs to the forefront at times and shakes them and us up and then goes back to the ground. We then return to being focused & distracted by the whole greed and ethical bankruptcy that is the corporations, specially those corporations in space and how they're pretty much going to be a government/power onto themselves, where lives are cheap.

From the interview I think that Hawley is uninterested in the 'lore' and more interested in the themes of the Alien and amoral/hostile AI and the corps behind them.

So rather than rooting around in the origins of the Alien I expect the series to be more focused on its present day, avoiding all the lore talk I see online that frankly surprises me as I never thought of Alien as a lore-dense thing. But then to me it is the only the first film that counts. If I was Hawley I would go with a similar 'back to basics' approach, not 'retconning' anything, just focusing on what really matters.

As a WFRP gamer, I have learned that diverging canon only allow gives me more options to add to my game. I don't see any problem here. It gives more options for a GM than they already had in setting up the background of their own game.

Hawley made Legion, which doesn't fit either with comics canon or the MCU. None of these conflicting canons created a problem for me when I ran Marvel Super Heroes last year.

I don't see it being an issue for Free League. If anything its an opportunity. They can put out a Alien: Romulus sourcebook for people that prefere that version if there are any notable differences.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back