Looking for suggestions

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Ronin

Gun Slinging Outlaw
Reaction score
I've been fiddling around with a pulp "Crimson Skies" with the serial numbers filed off game. In character creation characters select two Advantages, and one disadvantage. I look at my lists of both and think man there's more stuff I'm not thinking of. So I'm looking for suggestions.
Advantages are skills/talents/abilities/extras
For example
  • Ace Pilot
  • Hard to Kill
  • SIdekick
  • Sharpshooter
  • Sauve
Disadvantages
  • Glass Jaw
  • Gambler
  • Addicted
  • Sickly

Ronin, you're asking a bit of a daunting question. I'm not sure which ones you've already come up with, so I can't be sure that I'm not wasting my time by suggesting a dozen pulp advantages that you already thought of.

Plus I'm of the mind that you can't really comprehensively define these things. Is it necessary to list every possible perk and quirk? I think it's better to list a bunch that are flavorful or iconic, and let the GM use those as guidelines to classify new ones at the table.

If you really want to come up with a "complete" list, the best way is probably to put it in front of players and see what advantages and disadvantages that they ask for. Include the ones that come up a lot and the ones that are most interesting, and you've got a good list.

I'm not even sure that I like the ones you listed. Several of them seem more like entire character concepts, and might be better handled with a class-based system (I'm looking at "ace pilot" and "gambler"). Some others sound a bit generic, like "sickly" or "suave," and unless you have interesting mechanics for them, sound like they just provide pluses and minuses to rolls.

On the other hand, if your character creation consists ENTIRELY of selecting two advantages and a disadvantage, that actually sounds like a very interesting design. But again, I don't see the need to have a complete list of all possible traits.

On the other hand, if your character creation consists ENTIRELY of selecting two advantages and a disadvantage, that actually sounds like a very interesting design. But again, I don't see the need to have a complete list of all possible traits.
This, besides your attributes your two advantages are your character. I note with the list if there's something that you think of discuss it with your GM. Maybe add it. I just look at my lists and feel like I'm missing something. If I can get some time I will put up the lists.

I could probably ramble off advantages/disadvantages till the cows come home, but you'll have to decide which ones are appropriate or even necessary for your game.

ADVANTAGES
Boffin, Bookworm, Chivalrous, Crafty, Daredevil, Educated, Faith, Famous, Farmboy/Girl, Fearless, Fleet-Footed, Friends in High Places, Gearhead, Genius, Girl Back Home, Gumshoe, Huntsman, Iron Will, Jack-of-all-Trades, Johnny on-the-Spot, Loyal, Legerdemain, Luck of the Irish, Marksman, Patriot, Protege, Quick-Witted, Rich, Sea Dog, Second Sight, Silver-Tongued, Sixth Sense, Sleuth, Sniper, Strange Luck, Street Smart, Strongman, True Grit, Two-Fisted, Veteran

DISADVANTAGES
Blind, Braggart, By the Book, Colourblind, Con Man, Cruel, Cuthroat, Dark Secret, Dastardly, Deaf, Dumb as Doornails, Dwarf, Easy Mark, Gloryhound, Gossip, Greedy, Haunted, Hot Temper, Impatient, In Debt, Infamous, Insane, Loose Cannon, Mute, Naive, Narcissist, Obese, Orphan, Paranoid, Phobia, Poor, Shell-shock, Shy, Speedfreak, Stubborn, Ugly as Sin, Vertigo, Yellow-Bellied

See Also:
http://www.muskingum.edu/careerserv...edu/careerservices/PDFs/PersonalQualities.pdf
https://www.vocabulary.com/lists/33665
http://www.character-training.com/blog/list-of-character-traits/

Ok these are my lists so far
Advantages
  • Ace Pilot
  • Swordsman
  • Boxer
  • Brawler
  • Pistolero
  • Marksman
  • Trap Shooter
  • Two Guns
  • Airship Captain
  • Acrobat
  • Hard Boiled
  • Grit
  • Grifter
  • Egg Head
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Throwing
  • Immunity
  • Sidekick
  • Mechanic
  • Millionaire
Disadvantages
  • One Eye
  • One Hand
  • Color Blind
  • Gambler
  • Phobia
  • Glass Jaw
  • Brittle
  • Hot Temper
  • Sickly
  • Poor
  • Yellow Bellied
  • Greedy

OK, so here are a few off the top of my head:

Advantages:
  • Uncanny detective
  • Cool under pressure
  • Special authority
  • Inspiring speaker
  • Underworld contacts
  • Polyglot

Disadvantages:
  • Wanted criminal
  • Drug addiction
  • Horribly scarred
  • Code of honor
  • Illiterate
  • Clumsy

This could really go on and on. At the scope of the ones you've listed, I could probably come up with a couple hundred. You don't just have traditional advantages and disadvantages, but also skills and classes, and even abilities to a certain extent. You might want to start by going through advantage, disadvantage and skill lists from similar games. Just write everything down, and then cross things off as you can identify redundancies, combine concepts and eliminate ones you just don't need.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back