Not Cool Miniatures

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
What irritates me about these is that they are better than anything I could paint. But based on the bottom two being the exact same model (and same base dried mud cracking), I think they might be fake.

I suspect you may be correct. Which is a shame. I would love to see someone field an army of Space Marines with the floral motif.

I'm actually not fond of decorative bases. A nice plain tan sand ports to so many different battlefields without looking too out of place. I did do my Copplestone Future Wars with black / asphalt bases. In the grim darkness of 2020 there is only pavement.

I'm actually not fond of decorative bases. A nice plain tan sand ports to so many different battlefields without looking too out of place. I did do my Copplestone Future Wars with black / asphalt bases. In the grim darkness of 2020 there is only pavement.
Same, mine are all black with gray rubble. :smile:

Really, I've messed around with mixed sand and grass for a tan and green look but it looks awful in the dungeon and a bit off in the desert. Tan seems to play okay on green though. Maybe I'm over thinking things but I'm one of those guys who wonders if the hero has to pick up and lug around that rock he's got his foot up on. Silly I suppose but if it's about the visuals then it needs to look good in a variety of settings and if it's not about the visuals why aren't we using flat counters?

We have a cool miniatures thread, but I didn't see any place for this one. At first I was horrified ("thin your paints!" flashback), but then I appreciates the "what if?" aspect of what 100 layers would look like.

View attachment 52159

Man, I already thought Primaris Marines were stupid and awful, and now I find out they come with their own Void Shields?

After stripping the paint:

549d6c8b3885106c58407cef923a6a6d.jpg

My old Battletech minis.

battletech.jpg

Nearly all of them were bare plastic until relatively recently. The Shadowhawk had been painted a solid dark blue years ago and had sat like that for literal decades, so the result here is something of a "rescue." The Battlemaster, Wolverine, and Wasp were painted... 5+ years ago (?) when I glommed onto some paint and decided to try something. The Rifleman and Thunderbolt were painted a couple of years ago at about the same time I was messing around with Robotech RPG Tactics building and painting. The Crusader is the same, and was an experiment where I tried to do everything with paint pens.

And my surviving old, original D&D minis from the 80s.

deendee.jpg

From left to right, #5, 6, 7 and 10 were all from a box of "Female Adventurers" by Grenadier. #10 specifically was the miniature for one of my favorite PCs. I have no clue why I painted her in those colors. But I do know the reason her skin tone was so swarthy was because that was the only skintone paint I had at the time. She was also painted with Testors oils, while all the rest of these were painted with an acrylic starter set I got later. As you can see, that acrylic set had a much lighter skin tone paint, so now everyone was properly gamer pale. The wizard in black (#4) was the only one that was "sealed" with gloss after painting. The dual sword warrior at #9 shows the brown primer that I had in that starter acrylic set. Most of my colors dried out by the time I started on him and he has sat there half painted for over 30 years. The redhead cleric (#7) has lost her mace due to breakage, which is a pretty standard problem I had with those flimsy lead parts. The archer (#2) was another one of my PCs and if you can believe it was the miniature I was proudest of the paint job of for a long time.

The princess (#3) was stolen from the back room of the game shop in the late 80s. Not proud of that, but it is what it is. As for that barbarian (#1), I have absolutely no recollection of where he came from. One day in the mid 80s he just showed up in my minis collection and has been there ever since. He pretty much has always stood in for any low level boss in any common group of human/humanoid monsters/thugs.

Oh, the bases. I didn't understand bases at all. I was introduced to the concept in the AD&D1e version of Battlesystem. So, when I needed bases, I'd use the cardboard counters that came in that Battlemasters set. I'd just glue the figure onto one of those counters. I sort of didn't get the point. As you can see, miniatures back then usually had built in sculpted bases that let them stand just fine. You can also see that I decided that green was the universal color of bases.

These globby things are a pretty good example of why I stayed away from painting minis.

You realize, there's 100% certainty at least one of your players has burped the worm thinking about the shield you made. I want you to take that knowledge to your grave.
"Burped the Worm" is truly the most nasty, terrible, skin crawlingly and disgusting thing I have heard in the past 24 months. Well done sir, you have thoroughly grossed me out.
What ever happend to "strangle the snake"?
I think I'll take up drinking just to try and forget it.

There is a genestealer model I painted a long time ago carefully concealed in this image.

jeensteeler.jpg

On the plus side, it won't be hard to paint my Genestealer Cult dudes to a level of quality consistent with this guy.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back