Oldhammer Inspiration Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Administrator
Reaction score
Nico's new Slave to Darkness Khorne army made me think we could use a thread specifically for the Oldhammer aesthetic, particularly with The Old World returning to tabletops this year. Psyching myself us to start back on my old school Skaven army.

Anyways, yeah, Nico. Goddamn.

00.jpg01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

48402632631_5558d8bd13.jpg

48402632556_1ee935e9c3.jpg

1704550484215.jpeg
I never managed to properly glue metal parts together (maybe now, with the hot-glue gun I'll give it another try), or otherwise these would have graced my TTRPG table when the Old Worlds was still young.

Now these were a lot easier to assemble (and kitbash)!
1704550606230.png
(I think they were about 25€ for 30 footsoldiers, 10 cavalry and a chariot)

1704550837169.png

Attachments

• 1704550790165.webp
    281.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've got metal Knights Panther and some swordsmen and crossbowmen I should dig out and photograph. The paint jobs aren't fantastic. Most of my army is the old fifth edition regiments plastics and the knights. The whole thing could use some refurbishing.

I never managed to properly glue metal parts together (maybe now, with the hot-glue gun I'll give it another try)

lol, don't use a hot glue gun for metal parts, they'll pop right apart. You just need a pin drill, some paperclips, and cyanoacrylate glue (available under a variety of brand names). The pin drill will make tiny tiny holes in both parts at the join, just fit a tiny cutoff bit of a paperclip in one hole, cover the entire join with glue, spray some fast dry on the other join, and hold the parts together 45 seconds. this has worked for me for everything from metal grenadier dragon legs/wings to 4th edition Skaven war machines, and many smaller metal minis in between.

If you need an even stronger join, sprinkle on a little baking soda - it causes a chemical reaction with cyanoacrylate that thickens & hardens it like plastic cement. Then just file it down smooth after drying.

Garrapito has a way of capturing that 80s heavy metal album cover vibe that Oldhammer was immersed in, with his bold colour contrasts. Rich and warm black, brown, red, and gold juxtuposed against cool, blue-tinted steels, with a royal purple straddling the line between colour temperatures. He lends a beauty to the Battle Masters early plastic monopose troops that elevates them to comfortably sit with their contemporary legendary Citadel Chaos miniatures .

34339670681_2b622d6b6b_c.jpg

34428919566_c431c7bb7d_c.jpg

I've got metal Knights Panther and some swordsmen and crossbowmen I should dig out and photograph. The paint jobs aren't fantastic. Most of my army is the old fifth edition regiments plastics and the knights. The whole thing could use some refurbishing.

Well I'd like to see them. I like seeing anyone's real army, as opposed to tournament painted miniature pics. It's like seeing into someone's house - whether it's professionally decorated or not, it reflects or externalizes in the some the personality of the owner. That's the interesting part.

I wish more people would show their Painted Good Enough armies, so other people don't feel like every mini needs to be museum/competition quality (but that they look better painted at even a basic level than left gray/bare metal).

Also really loving the pics here. I forgot how much I really loved those earlier minis, both for WHFB ( which I only dipped a toe into) as well as the old 40K minis.

Fraser Gray, The King of 80's 'Eavy Metal sections of White Dwarf.

Frasier Gray 1.jpgFrasier Gray 2.jpgFrasier Gray 3.jpgFrasier Gray 5.jpgFrasier Gray 6.jpgFrasier Gray 7.jpg

Fraser Gray worked with enamel paints rather than acrylic. Orlygg was able to get ahold of some documentation of his painting process at the time:

Much was lost when 4e did away with chaos thugs, war altars, and build-your-own-damned-armylist flexibility.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back