Robotech

Discussion in 'Media and Video Games' started by Apparition, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Apparition

Apparition Well-Known Member

Titan Comics landed the license for a new Robotech comic book series. Instead of retelling the story, or expanding upon it, they're doing a full-on reboot. One of the stated goals is to make Lynn Minmei "less of a 'damsel in distress.'" Here's hoping they make her less annoying as well.

The first issue comes out tomorrow, both print and digital. A sneak preview of it can be found here.

I wonder if the comic book will sell well enough for Titan Comics to justify redoing the whole saga.

noman likes this.
  2. Apparition

I read the first issue last night. It was okie. It basically retold the first episode, just with added references to e-mail and Lynn Minmei being more capable.

3. Apparition

The second issue of the Robotech reboot comic book series lands this Wednesday, in both print and digital. A preview of the second issue can be found here.

4. Apparition

So far, Minmei and Breetai look the most different compared to the original. Minmei is definitely more... aggressive. She blew away a Zentraedi warrior's right hand while with Rick in his Veritech fighter. A couple of minor other changes, but over all it was a retelling of the second episode. Accidental space fold to Pluto and all. Nice touch on having Captain Gloval call Pluto a "minor dwarf planet." :p

5. Apparition

6. Apparition

I fully realize that I'm talking to myself in this thread, but hey...

The fourth Robotech comic book issue, due out late next month, is slated to kill off a major character. Now who is the question. Roy Fokker would be a good bet considering he was killed off in the original, but not nearly this soon into the story. I would hope for Lynn Minmei, but Titan Comics seems intent on revamping her character this go around.

7. Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere Active Member

Would you recommend the comic?

8. Apparition

Only two issues are out thus far so it's a little early to say one way or another. The art is good IMO, and the first two issues are almost direct adaptations of the first two episodes, just with less Lynn Minmei being a whiny "damsel in distress" and anime goofiness, and more seriousness. Although with Titan Comics' announcement that they're going to kill off a major character in the fourth issue (way before the SDF-1 comes back to Earth), that's a fairly significant change from the original source so it won't continue to be a straight adaptation.

If you're not one for floppy comic books or small digital issues, Titan Comics already announced a trade paperback collection of the first several issues, releasing in February 2018.

If you've never watched the original Robotech series though, or never read the comic books nor novels, and like space opera with giant transformable mecha, I highly recommend it.

In my ranking of comic book, film, and television media, DC Comics and Star Trek are tied for first place. Second is Babylon 5. Robotech is third. It and Buck Rogers XXVc were my introduction to the world of tabletop role-playing games, and Robotech was a significant part of my teenage years and early 20s.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Belle Sorciere likes this.
  9. Spinachcat

Spinachcat Legendary Member

Harmony Gold is apparently losing their license in 2021, so everybody better get their Robotech fix in before that curtain falls.

Also, the free media app Crackle has been streaming the original Robotech series.

Apparition likes this.
  10. Apparition

I've heard two different versions of that story. While it is true that Harmony Gold will lose their exclusive licenses of Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA (the three animes that were meshed together to form Robotech), in the west, some speculate that Robotech has become so different from the three original anime series that it is its own unique thing now (which is true), so that may protect Robotech itself. Harmony Gold losing the licenses would just mean that they could no longer stop the distribution of other Macross anime series.

I don't know if that's true or not (I'm not a lawyer after all), but that may explain why Harmony Gold and Titan Comics rebooted Robotech. As I said, the first two comic book issues are almost straight adaptations of the first two episodes, but the comic book series seems to plan on making some significant changes to the storyline starting with the fourth issue. They may be using that reboot to further differentiate Robotech from Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA.

11. Apparition

So, Robotech issue #4 came out today.

R.I.P. Captain Gloval. A Macross City building inside the SDF-1 literally came down on top of him during the SDF-1's first modular transformation. Looks like Lisa Hayes is getting that promotion early. Also, Rick Hunter seems to have become a Destroid pilot instead of a Veritech pilot. The reboot is supposed to wildly diverge from the original this point on.

12. Spinachcat

Spinachcat Legendary Member

I am very cool with a Robotech reboot going in new directions.

Looking forward to checking it out when the graphic novel / collected version hits the shelves. I can't handle single issues. I even wait a year between reading web comics.

Apparition likes this.
  13. Apparition

I prefer reading graphic novels as well, but I still buy single issues instead because unfortunately single issue sales determines whether a comic book series lives or dies. Graphic novel collections are just a nice little side bonus to comic book publishers, their sales don't really matter. Author Peter David lamented this fact a few years ago when Marvel canceled his X-Factor comic book series. Its trade paperback collections sold well, but people weren't buying the single issues so Marvel axed it.

The Butcher likes this.
  14. Voros

Voros Doomed Investigator

Shame that X-Factor series was good. Course I only bought the TPB.

15. Apparition

Just FYI, the first Robotech reboot collection comes out this week. Although Google Play Books released it two weeks early. It has a foreword by Greg Finley, the voice actor of Captain Henry Gloval in the '80s cartoon.

16. Dumarest

Dumarest ¡Californio y vaquero!

I don't really need someone to "improve" an old cartoon for me. I'd rather see them create their own. This endless "reboot" routine speaks to a woeful dearth of creativity and aversion to risk.

17. Apparition

Depends. Some reboots are for the better IMO, like the Legion of Super-Heroes reboot in 1994. Most are for the worse. In this particular case, it's too early to tell. Honestly, as mentioned above, this reboot is most likely because Harmony Gold (the "creators" of Robotech), are going to lose the license to the three underlying anime series that comprised Robotech in a couple of years. They're hoping that with this reboot, Robotech will become sufficiently different enough from the source material that they can continue to make new Robotech product past 2021. That's my guess anyway. IANAL and all that.

18. Dumarest

1994 Legion of Super Heroes is not a good example if you're in favor of reboots...:crap:

19. Apparition

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. :smile:

20. Apparition

A video has been released to coincide with the release of the first collection.

Also, Simon Furman, the writer for most of the Transformers comics, will take over writing the reboot comic book.

21. Dumarest

Art looks nice in that freeze frame.