RPG forgettery

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
You've done a service for the fae and in return they offer to remove the memory of one RPG product from your mind. (Not FATAL, that one's too obvious.) Which do you pick?
The only reason I can think of removind the memory is so you can rediscover it meaning it has to be something that brought you great joy the first time you read it.

I’ll go with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangess.

It's just removed from my mind, not the world at large?

By and large I'm with pawsplay pawsplay, because I believe that failures teach us more than successes do. But it's neither wise nor safe to refuse an offer from the fey, so I'm going to go with Achtung! Cthulhu. I don't dislike it at all, but I don't consider it a major influence on me, either.

Stuff not on any functioning hard drive, but on hard copy, in a box that I can't throw out.

And the stuff that I really want that I have no copies of because of who I did it with and my memories of it being some of my best work.

Oh this thread hurts. Teach me to click.

If I'm removing it because it's bad, then I risk wasting my time discovering it's bad all over again. If it's good, I lose my memories of fun. Probably, I'd pick something I'd looked into and worked out with minimal effort is of no interest to me. So, actually, yeah, I go with Lasers and Feelings. At worst, I lose a few minutes checking it out for a second time, wondering what all the fuss is about, and then moving on with my life.

Silver Age Sentinels. Gifted to me, read once, sent to the used book store. After several other supers systems, simpler or easier or more complete or whatever, it was just a tremendous let down. Like they'd not read any other supers games and though about what made them giid or popular. Don't recall the specifics any more, just the disappointment.

If I'm removing it because it's bad, then I risk wasting my time discovering it's bad all over again. If it's good, I lose my memories of fun. Probably, I'd pick something I'd looked into and worked out with minimal effort is of no interest to me. So, actually, yeah, I go with Lasers and Feelings. At worst, I lose a few minutes checking it out for a second time, wondering what all the fuss is about, and then moving on with my life.
I've got the same line of thinking, whatever it is I'm just gonna run into it again. So let it be some innocuous thing I don't care about... some PBTA game or high-concept one-shot where you play as a sentient tea cup.

I'm actually intrigued as to which game S sharps54 was sad that I wanted to forget...
Either one, we are nothing if not our memories. I personally have fond memories of both and wouldn’t want to loss either. Obviously this whole thread is somewhat tongue in cheek so please know my frown emoji wasn’t meant to be a reflection of disapproval towards your agency to choose, just sadness that you would want to forget games I have fond memories of, even though I do respect your right to pick those games and acknowledge we all have different tastes.

That awful Christian thing that I've almost removed from my memory already (can't remember the name).

No loss forgetting it, and I'm unlikely to be motivated enough to seek it out for another round.

I regret wasting so much time trying to like 3e D&D decades ago. But I wish I had been able to recognize that it just wasn't for me upon reading it, rather than forgetting everything about it. Thanks to 3e D&D, I now know what I really don't want in a FRPG.

There was a game that the brother of one of my old gaming buddies pressed us to play back in about '94. It was a sort of wainscot fantasy science fantasy set in the real world. PCs were any of twelve sorts of serially-reincarnating shapeshifting aliens something that used to be gods and heroes, which possessed or impersonated people something vox something, and were engaged in a secret wars against some other something conspiracy something splatbook. And the resolution system was nigh upon incomprehensible. I'd just as soon forget that, whatever it was.

Last edited:
Okay, but what if, like, they offer to exchange your memory for, like, a really cool set of dice?
My answer would still be D&D, but now with an extra set of dice:grin:!

Mythras you mean?
Nope, I don't want to forget that one. Too many fun memories. Re-discovering is fun and all, but losing memories of campaigns so far isn't a good deal:madgoose:!

D&D, however, I'd lose nothing from forgetting:shade:.

I mean arguably you might be happiest forgetting everything but 5E. Just treat it like a weekly chess club and find something useful to do with all the time we waste on RPGs as a hobby outside playing…
If by "happiest" you mean "you'd give up on RPGs altogether and do something productive with your life instead", sure...::honkhonk:

But I'd rather keep running Mythras, and I suspect the kids would be rather disappointed if I forgot about the system one week after starting the campaign:gooselove:!

There was a game that the brother of one of my old gaming buddies pressed us to play back in about '94. It was a sort of wainscot fantasy science fantasy set in the real world. PCs were any of twelve sorts of serially-reincarnating shapeshifting aliens something that used to be gods and heroes, which possessed or impersonated people something vox something, and were engaged in a secret wars against some other something conspiracy something splatbook. And the resolution system was nigh upon incomprehensible. I'd just as soon forget that, whatever it was.
Nephilim? Never played it, just read a description.

If I get to remove the memory of the game, but keep the memory that it's bad so I don't pick it up again, Rolemaster.

4 of my worst 5 roleplaying experiences were with Rolemaster - so freeing up that brain space seems like a good use of this "gift".

Most of the bad experiences I have had were more to do with players, I have definitely played systems that had issues but generally the groups I played with were still fun enough to make it a good time and not one I want to forget.

If I get to remove the memory of the game, but keep the memory that it's bad so I don't pick it up again, Rolemaster.

4 of my worst 5 roleplaying experiences were with Rolemaster - so freeing up that brain space seems like a good use of this "gift".
The thought of forgetting about RM makes me sad. :sad:

I'd happily forget this dumb RMSS slogan, though:

1715608093736.png

Tekumel.

See, I really liked the game setting for a very long time. It presented a unique world, an interesting alternative to the Tolkien-based standard fantasy that was omnipresent at the time. It was esoteric and hard to find, but had a lot of depth and unusual ideas. It was never well supported, being published by a series of different small presses that either dropped it or immediately went bankrupt after printing it. It had a small but dedicated community; even after Prof Barker died some of the members of his gaming group tried to keep it alive.

Then it came out that Prof Barker, the world's creator, was
an ardent anti-Semitic Nazi sympathizer, to the point of writing articles for white supremacist magazines and a book about those evil Jews. And it turned out that the core group knew about this and tried to cover it up, hoping no one would notice.

I got rid of my Tekumel stuff. It's not for me.

The twelve sorts was the clue that told me this was Immortal: The Invisible War

In my case it is Heroquest (now Questworlds).

I fell in love with the 2nd edition, the one with Jon Hodgson's cover. The idea was great, it's short and to the point. It starts strong, but mid book it gets extremely confusing and loses its voice. Was Robin D. Laws in a rush? Or was the book published without editorial review?

Anyway, it took me too long to realise all the issues with Heroquest, wasting a lot of time trying to make Heroquest work only to discover that Fudge provided something similar and was more approachable.

Exalted. I eventually gave in to all of the praise coming from the big purple and picked up about half of the first edition books. While the setting wasn’t bad the system and power levels left me cold. I sold or traded them off and never looked back. Way back in the day I’d also say Palladium fantasy but thankfully I only had the core book.

Either one, we are nothing if not our memories. I personally have fond memories of both and wouldn’t want to loss either. Obviously this whole thread is somewhat tongue in cheek so please know my frown emoji wasn’t meant to be a reflection of disapproval towards your agency to choose, just sadness that you would want to forget games I have fond memories of, even though I do respect your right to pick those games and acknowledge we all have different tastes.

Fairy snuff.

FWIW, D&D was tongue-in-cheek. While I started with another system, D&D got me into what I consider "my group" (lifetime), and while they don't seem able to quit it, we still game occasionally. Every now and again I can even persuade them to try another system (starting with Shadowrun). :smile:

Heroes Unlimited, though? No, that's a system---and play experience with that particular GM---that I truly wish that I could excise from memory. While I can try and "silver lining" it, I would have gotten the same information from any of a number of other sources without the misery. Heck, I might even still like the premise of the supers genre.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back