The Board Game Thread - What have you Played recently?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
mkovb.jpg

Played Dune (2019) today. Advanced rules -combat spice and double spice blow. Spacing Guild/Atreides victory on Spacing Guild special condition. Highlights of the game include:
The Fremen blowing the Shieldwall just in time for the storm to sweep over Arakeen and Carthage in one turn.
4 Lasgun/Shield reactions.
Selling the information to the Fremen/Bene Gesserit Alliance that the Harkonnen's had the Lasgun and the Fremen had a Shield, just as the bulk of the Harkonnen force was invading a stronghold.

My son is all about the Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame now. We played it yesterday with Mom but just the two of us today. It's pretty fun but seems too easy if you apply commonsense tactics. But we've only played twice so could be making errors. Theme is sort of Paleomythic + post-apocalyptic. He also likes the video game.
20230910_112307.jpg
20230910_123443.jpg
20230910_130837.jpg
20230910_132327 (1).jpg

Last edited:
My son is all about the Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame now. We played it yesterday with Mom but just the two of us today. It's pretty fun but seems to easy if you apply commonsense tactics. Theme is sort of Paleomythic + post-apocalyptic. He also likes the video game.
Nice to hear that you enjoyed this. It got some scathing reviews early on and I haven't relooked at it, despite being interested in it initially. I may need to revisit it if I get the chance.

We played Ethnos and It’s a Wonderful World Thursday night. I went 0-4, but that’s fine with me.

My son is all about the Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame now. We played it yesterday with Mom but just the two of us today. It's pretty fun but seems too easy if you apply commonsense tactics. But we've only played twice so could be making errors. Theme is sort of Paleomythic + post-apocalyptic. He also likes the video game.

Didn't know there were a Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame. Might have to look into this since I also enjoyed the videogame. Only played the first videogame though.

Didn't know there were a Horizon Zero Dawn boardgame. Might have to look into this since I also enjoyed the videogame. Only played the first videogame though.
You should get around to playing Forbidden West (Unless you are waiting for it on PC, which understandable). If you liked the first one a lot, you'll love the second one.

I played Rise of Moloch yesterday. It's a pretty cool boardgame with miniatures in a steampunk + magic setting. It's very tactical, but there is a lot of randomness, so I ended up cursing the game during the last turn. But I would definitely recommend the game, I hope I will play more of it.

I played Rise of Moloch yesterday. It's a pretty cool boardgame with miniatures in a steampunk + magic setting. It's very tactical, but there is a lot of randomness, so I ended up cursing the game during the last turn. But I would definitely recommend the game, I hope I will play more of it.
I have everything ever released for it for the sole reason that I think the miniatures are cool. I need to play it more.

I picked up Final Girl core + Camp Happy Trails double set on Tuesday. Finally got a couple of games in. It is interesting, if a bit tricky and can be seriously unforgiving The RNG of cards + dice make this a game where you might get 0 chance in a game.

I had a wonderful opportunity to get to play a new game being developed by Elizabeth Hargrave when she came to visit in my town. The game is called "Undergrove". Fun game, but plenty of thinking involved and multiple aspects to keep track of. Noticeably more involved than Wingspan. This new game will be coming to kickstarter in a few weeks.

Of games I own, I'm currently in the process of playing a scenario in "Doomsday Project: Episode 2 - Battle of the Balkans". I'm doing a solo play-through to get the rules down pat.

Been collecting the rereleased HeroQuest and its expansions. Very happy with how its being done. Nostalgia done right. And the new addition has the right feel and fits right in with the rest. Doesn't have the feeling of just being a pure money grab.

All set up for my favorite boardgame The King is Dead. I'd prefer three or four players but it works with two. The fun of more players is that it makes it that much harder to adapt your strategy to the changing board when you have to wait longer for your next turn to come up and all your progress can be undone--deliberately or just by happenstance--by the other players while you wait and scramble to adapt to the changing board.
20231008_130912.jpg

We've played the Star Trek version and its expansion, but today was out first time playing the original Settlers of Catan. My son eventually all-but-monopolized wood and won largely as a result of not trading it to anyone else.
20231009_172110.jpg

Last edited:
Last night, we got in games of:

It's a Wonderful World with the Corruption and Ascension expansion - i thought the expansion was a positive addition
Inside Job - I really enjoyed this trick taking / social deduction game
Robo Rally (I have the older Avalon Hill edition) - a couple of us had a blast, one person didn't enjoy, so we stopped just a bit into it
What do you Meme - we laughed
We were about to play King of Tokyo, but one person didn't want to learn another new game (all but IaWW were new games)

Last night, we got in games of:

It's a Wonderful World with the Corruption and Ascension expansion - i thought the expansion was a positive addition
Inside Job - I really enjoyed this trick taking / social deduction game
Robo Rally (I have the older Avalon Hill edition) - a couple of us had a blast, one person didn't enjoy, so we stopped just a bit into it
What do you Meme - we laughed
We were about to play King of Tokyo, but one person didn't want to learn another new game (all but IaWW were new games)
That's too bad, King of Tokyo takes maybe 5 minutes to learn. :dice:

Played Dune: War for Arrakis. Very impressed at how thematic it is. Love that it allows you to explore aspects of the story more deeply including alternative storylines. The 2 hour runtime also makes it much more likely to get tabled compared to War of the Ring and Rebellion.
IMG_6968.jpeg

I've mostly been playing Commands & Colors: Napoleonics. My main gaming buddy is the kind of guy who likes to play one game to death. So, we've played every standard and epic scenario in chronological order over the last two years with him as the French and me as everyone else. I was glad to have finished the whole thing, 129 scenarios.

Then he wanted to do the whole thing again, with me as the French. I acquiesced, but sometimes I just want to play something else.

Played Marvel Age of Heroes today. Game is by Rodney Thompson, designer of Lords of Waterdeep. I can feel the DNA of LoW in the game, but definitely enjoyed this game.

Also played Moonrakers today. I bought the. Titan edition from the publisher, and it is now in my sell list.

And played The Last Bastion twice. First time lost badly, but gave rules a second glance and found out errors we made. Then we played again and were able to beat the game with not much to spare.

And played The Last Bastion twice. First time lost badly, but gave rules a second glance and found out errors we made. Then we played again and were able to beat the game with not much to spare.
Did you like The Last Bastion? If so, what was fun about it? I have the game, but have never played it.

Did you like The Last Bastion? If so, what was fun about it? I have the game, but have never played it.

I liked it.

We only played on Novice and it came down to the wire with the win in the end. I think it hinged on the characters we played the second game as well. 2 move (Elmer and Chestnut) just doesn’t feel anywhere near as good as Sindaya (being able to combat and activate a bastion ability). Even counting being able to give someone else a move action with Elmer. Especially since there is the bastion action that lets you give someone a move.

There is definite stinginess with the dice, and if you get stuck with a monster that removes round tokens on your board, it can be very hard to take on some opponents.

Overall, we used most of the bastion actions through the game and had fun. If I were going to give tips to a new player, it would be to not hold onto things like the Call to Arms ability or your equipment tokens, because they can be lost so easily. The second game we realized we should be using our call to arms as often as we had the token. That made a difference too. Especially if you use it, then kill a monster that recharges it, then use it again.

Last edited:
Went on a first date to a board games night last week, where we played Dead Of Night - a hidden traitor / co-op with individual objectives zombie apocalypse game. Each player controls a team of survivors and has their own individual objective, and while the group has to complete a group goal, each player only wins if their complete their team's goal. As a group, we "won" by completing the big objective, but only I completed my personal goal - hoarding drugs, when our group goal was to collect a big stockpile of drugs.
Perhaps showing your new partner that you're a shifty bitch who will happily betray her isn't a good thing to do on a first date but eh that's how I live my life.

Went on a first date to a board games night last week, where we played Dead Of Night - a hidden traitor / co-op with individual objectives zombie apocalypse game. Each player controls a team of survivors and has their own individual objective, and while the group has to complete a group goal, each player only wins if their complete their team's goal. As a group, we "won" by completing the big objective, but only I completed my personal goal - hoarding drugs, when our group goal was to collect a big stockpile of drugs.
Perhaps showing your new partner that you're a shifty bitch who will happily betray her isn't a good thing to do on a first date but eh that's how I live my life.
1707489224371.gif

The Warriors: Come Out and Play

Me and the wife had a good time with it. Pretty cheap too, game store that was selling it had them on reduced to about 18 bucks. Very worth it and, this is a big benefit in my house, takes up little space.

I still yearn to one day play a skirmish game depicting the bathroom fight scene though.

I get a little wistful when it comes to "what board games are you playing threads?". Because I rarely have the opportunity to play the more "advanced" games I'd really like to invest time into.

I bet this will impress everyone: I last played Splendor, Settlers of Catan, and Ticket to Ride: Europe. I play family-style board games a few times/month. My girlfriend's 70-something mother likes to play, and she's competitive as hell. Her and her daughter can put up a good fight some days. At other times, they're off their game and I don't hesitate to crush them. :smile: Show no mercy.

In March, however, I might get a chance to play something more tactical. A few of the wargamers I know are intrigued to play Blood Rage - a game I'm rather fond of. So, I'm thinking of setting up a game night and unleashing some Ragnarok in the dining room.

Never heard of that, but it sounds awesome based on the name.

It's been quite a while since I've done any board gaming, but now that I've finally gotten my gaming table/dining room table clear, I'm thinking of getting out Ogre 6th Edition this weekend and including some stuff from Ogre Designer's Edition.

It's been quite a while since I've done any board gaming, but now that I've finally gotten my gaming table/dining room table clear, I'm thinking of getting out Ogre 6th Edition this weekend and including some stuff from Ogre Designer's Edition.
I still regret giving away my copy of G.E.V.

I have that glorious monster box in my office. Whenever anyone wants to say it comes in a big box I point to that bastard.

So, we got 2 games of Blood Rage in yesterday, and a good time was had by all. I won the first game pretty handily. In the second game, the last place player of the first game came roaring into the lead - he found his groove and dominated that game.

A photo taken from the first game. Start of the second age in that game, where we're drafting new cards.

20240324_125234.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back