What brought you to the Pub?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Curses! You're not in the RPG forum. I am powerless to oppose you!

images

There was a period of time, say between 2003 and 2008, when TBP was an absolutely stellar place to discuss anything geek related.

It's still a good place to discuss some things, but you have to have a map of the minefield to avoid sanctions. I once had a very active and vibrant "Let's Read" thread there about John Norman's Gor novels. There was some absolutely fantastic discussion about the books, the author, his political and philosophical views, and so on. There's no way in hell such a thread would be allowed under the current regime. If I were to even bump the old thread to finish the discussion of the 3rd novel, which I left unfinished, the thread would absolutely get locked, and I'd probably get a ban for not understanding how deeply problematic the books are or something. (Which is ironic, because I absolutely understand how deeply problematic they are. I just think that makes for an interesting discussion.)

If I were to even bump the old thread to finish the discussion of the 3rd novel, which I left unfinished, the thread would absolutely get locked, and I'd probably get a ban for not understanding how deeply problematic the books are or something. (Which is ironic, because I absolutely understand how deeply problematic they are. I just think that makes for an interesting discussion.)

After looking through the infraction forum a few times, I have concluded that TBP does not have rules. The staff just infract people for anything they personally dislike. I do not like that position you took. I declare you a bad fit for my political beliefs. I mean a bad fit for the forum. Have a permanent ban.

To be fair, Brock isn't the first person I know to say that the RPG Pub seems to be fixated on tabletop RPGs from the 1980s and 1990s. I have heard it before from others.
Yes, I've read that too - but in fairness to them, they're not speaking out of their mouths
heh heh :thumbsup:

Last edited:
After looking through the infraction forum a few times, I have concluded that TBP does not have rules. The staff just infract people for anything they personally dislike. I do not like that position you took. I declare you a bad fit for my political beliefs. I mean a bad fit for the forum. Have a permanent ban.

Yes, that's about the conclusion I reached as well. I kept finding the infraction forum fascinating and would do deep dives into it just to read what got an infraction or bane and there was no real rhyme nor reason. It was equal parts fascinating, disturbing and frustrating.

I really like reading the game reviews folks post there, so not being able to be a part of their community is frustrating. Now, when I do read a game review, I just don't bother to log in. Just read the review and move on.

Wait, they have an infractions page?! Like social media stocks to pillory the wrong thinkers? What a bunch of lame-o's.
Back in the days when they didn't, there was an incessant level of hand-wringing from the more querulous members of the forum who were concerned that They Might Be Next. And there was an equally incessant level of hand-wringing from the die-hard anti-authoritarians who simply could not abide anyone having power over them, no matter how inconsequential.

The Infractions forum was created as a way of increasing the transparency of the moderation process to appease those two groups.

Mind you, these days that transparency doesn't provide any real benefit because criticizing the moderation there is de facto not allowed. But initially, at least, it was done with good intentions.

I used to be active, at varying levels, across three other forums. Two went wierdly political and the moderation on them is... run by the most extreme. The last had a culture shift to pure d&d 5e fanboi-ism that insults anyone who disagrees and now has a bunch of bad faith posters. Its moderation is... russian roulette random with a helping of favouritisim, and all the non-d&d stuff has 99% died under attacks or simply being ignored.

The Pub is nice tho. Better random gaming related resources than all the others too.

I once got a temporary ban for posting that they ban people for being a bad fit.

They say that's the reason though.

Moderator Text:

You are not a good fit on the forums and banned under Rule 0.
Yes, they had only just started doing so at the time, though. It was about two days after the first time a mod posted that they had discussed somebody backstage and that concluded that he or she was "just not a good fit", and permabanned him or her.

Last edited:
My ban was for saying "Let's just agree to disagree- I think this has gone in circles long enough, and I don't really care that much about it."

(They called it passive aggressive - Even said get your passive aggressive ass out of here. Also said I was attributing emotions to someone else)

Last edited:
My ban was for saying "Let's just agree to disagree- I think this has gone in circles long enough, and I don't really care that much about it."

(They called it passive aggressive - Even said get your passive aggressive ass out of here. Also said I was attributing emotions to someone else)
Well that's precious!

I copped a month long ban for this, and another for agreeing, but for the wrong reasons. Then I realised that most of the people who I liked conversing with were gone, or clearly on the way out, so it was time to go.

This. All the people I liked to talk to, or read their posts, would disappear. I'm thinking, maybe they're on vacation, or busy, or life happened, but they never showed up again. Then I found out about the Violation thread, started digging through there, and oh, there they are! One after another got perma-baned, so I stopped posting, and barely read anything until I found a thread talking about other places to go (weirdly enough, that one didn't get locked) and someone mentioned this place. I'm sure the Purple place views it as Misfit Island, but this place is like my home on the internet now. Bunch of weirdos like me, shit posting, and periodically talking about RPGs. Its perfect!

<... and now, for the inevitable ban for being too positive in...5...4...3..2...>

This. All the people I liked to talk to, or read their posts, would disappear. I'm thinking, maybe they're on vacation, or busy, or life happened, but they never showed up again. Then I found out about the Violation thread, started digging through there, and oh, there they are! One after another got perma-baned, so I stopped posting, and barely read anything until I found a thread talking about other places to go (weirdly enough, that one didn't get locked) and someone mentioned this place. I'm sure the Purple place views it as Misfit Island, but this place is like my home on the internet now. Bunch of weirdos like me, shit posting, and periodically talking about RPGs. Its perfect!

<... and now, for the inevitable ban for being too positive in...5...4...3..2...>
You are blan'd. That is all.

71320e4b80f00c7338b6930c0b410970.gif

They say that's the reason though.

Moderator Text:

You are not a good fit on the forums and banned under Rule 0.

I think I read your permaban on the Infractions board. I'd look it up but I'm Rule 0 permabanned myself now and you have to be signed in to read it.

You were lucky. If that's what they had said about banning me, I'd have shrugged it off as them just making a statement of the preference they are entitled to.

But the moderator-on-duty I caught went on to say I had I had done a rhetorically objectionable thing that I would not wish to be associated with even pseudonymously. So I sent them a polite email asking that they either identify where I had done any such thing or revise the ban notice.

Since the only way they could have made such an identification would have been by applying their own draconian forum standards to something they found while stalking my Twitter account - which their stated moderation policy says they don't engage in - they said they would make the revision. Again, being banned, I have no way to tell if they have.

Hell of a way to run a candy store.

Anyway, I found out about their merger with RPGMatch and when I googled for a discussion about it this place came up first.

Last edited:
TristramEvans TristramEvans invited me to join the site right when it opened back in 2017, right around the same time he left Jennifer Anniston's site.

I used to like that site, but it's gone to the dogs and there's a reason why I changed my username over there and then changed my password to something I knew I'd forget, then logged off for the last time and never looked back.

TristramEvans TristramEvans invited me to join the site right when it opened back in 2017, right around the same time he left Jennifer Anniston's site.

I used to like that site, but it's gone to the dogs and there's a reason why I changed my username over there and then changed my password to something I knew I'd forget, then logged off for the last time and never looked back.
The nicest thing I can say about Ms. Aniston is that, based on her YouTube videos, she seems to love her cat.

Since the only way they could have made such an identification would have been by applying their own draconian forum standards to something they found while stalking my Twitter account - which their stated moderation policy says they don't engage in - they said they would make the revision. Again, being banned, I have no way to tell if they have.
They have. Your ban notice now refers to "Deactivated User 229229" instead of whatever username you signed up with.

Maybe he’s only saying that because there are no 2D20 fans here.

I’m kidding, I know there are some 2D20 fans at the pub, they just (wisely) keep their heads down and avoid eye contact.
I do not. I proudly play 2d20 and don't get the hate. Mock me at your peril, for you shall only fuel my momentum pool! :shade:
We do suffer from an overly strong affection... affliction for Mythras around here though.
You didn't mention the affectation for hating the GEESE! You goose lover! :hehe:
There was a period of time, say between 2003 and 2008, when TBP was an absolutely stellar place to discuss anything geek related.

It's still a good place to discuss some things, but you have to have a map of the minefield to avoid sanctions. I once had a very active and vibrant "Let's Read" thread there about John Norman's Gor novels. There was some absolutely fantastic discussion about the books, the author, his political and philosophical views, and so on. There's no way in hell such a thread would be allowed under the current regime. If I were to even bump the old thread to finish the discussion of the 3rd novel, which I left unfinished, the thread would absolutely get locked, and I'd probably get a ban for not understanding how deeply problematic the books are or something. (Which is ironic, because I absolutely understand how deeply problematic they are. I just think that makes for an interesting discussion.)
I still post there, for the time being. But I feel like I'm on a clock I cannot see that will eventually lead to my permaban over something pointlessly inane.

Yeah. Me, too. This sent me here sometime last year after a bit of research after several people I regularly conversed with were permabanned over nothing of consequence.

I was told there would be Drambuie™ and finger-sandwiches. And Wood Nymphs.

This place was on a list of "gooder than Big Purp" rpg sites so me visit. Nice not to see the political jibber-jabber some other sites get into. Don't get me wrong I do like some jibber-jabber but mostly when it's about games. So now we're friends, right?

mr-bean-thumbs-up.gif

Yeah, we distain the political jibber jabber here in favour of memes and shit talk mostly. Sometimes RPGs get discussed as well. The Drambuie is out, but I can probably arrange a Wood Nymph finger sandwich if you want one.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back