What IP/games would you like to see?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

dragoner

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
1. Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds/M-Space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Space_universe

2. CJ Cherryh's Alliance-Union Universe (including Chanur novels)/Cepheus Engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance–Union_universe

3. SCP Foundation (Secure Contain Protect)/Delta Green
http://www.scp-wiki.net/

Honorable Mention: Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, or maybe Night's Dawn Trilogy/??? game unknown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Saga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night's_Dawn_Trilogy

Somewhere I might have heard about a Mythic Mesopotamia/Mythras. Please let that be true. Mythic Greece is supposedly happening also.

Aarons_Assignment_Karachi_1.jpg
Edward S. Aarons' Sam Durell secret agent series. It would ideally be something like a grittier realpolitik version of Victory Games' James Bond RPG.

51CploXuWpL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
E.C. Tubb's Dumarest series. Personally I'd love to see a Classic Traveller sourcebook for this.

French-Cover.jpeg
Alexandre Dumas' D'Artagnan series (The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, and The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Vallière, and The Man in the Iron Mask), although I'm not sure anyone could improve upon my beloved Flashing Blades. But a big sourcebook or setting book encapsulating personages, locations, and such would be awesome.

golden-voyage-of-sinbad-01-1.jpg
And it would be awesome to have a game that takes in all the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies and works up a suitable rules system to emulate them!

Chronicles of Prydain
lloydalexander1-e1292281986874.jpg

Keys to the Kingdom
Copy_of_Keys_To_the_Kingdom.JPG

Somewhere I might have heard about a Mythic Mesopotamia/Mythras. Please let that be true. Mythic Greece is supposedly happening also.
Yep. Mythic Greece is being worked on by Pete Nash (it was put on a back burner previously when working on a Glorantha book). The Mythic Mesopotamia has been mentioned, but we may get more information from The Design Mechanism when they get round to an annual report.

For the IP? Well, there is Dune.

Doctor_Syn_Cover_1915.jpg

Dr. Syn ... definitely a precursor to the pulp and superhero genres, and a tale of elaborate theatrical revenge on par with The Count of Monte Cristo!

Speaking of pre-cursors to superheroics...
71Csne7K%2BvL.jpg

...I know there was a GURPs supplement ( I own it!), but it deserves its own game. Hell the French Revolution in general is a time period that offers tons of gaming possibilities, even without English fops who dress up in costumes

937e4f1d7ec98921567ec6fcaa918761.jpg

I've talked before about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as one of my favourite historical periods. A proto-democratic alliance, at constant war with five neighbours for nearly a hundred years, preservering mainly through the extraordinary dedication and skill of the legendary Winged Hussars
Hot-Winged-Hussar-World-War-II-Fantasy-Poster-Fabric-Silk-Posters-And-Prints-For-Home-Decoration.jpg

I'll cheat and just repost my reply to a similar thread on RPGNet.

Thundarr the Barbarians, obviously
Defiance - great show but the game tie-in meant the show was structured ground-up as a roleplaying game
Push - the - underrated sci-fi movie Chris Evans before he became Captain America - had a cool take on superpowers
Mission Impossible - based more on the newer movies since Simon Pegg and Hawkeye joined the crew
Some sort of mash-up of Running Man and Total Recall (no way they aren't set in the same world)
Almost Human - charming sci-fi police procedural TV series with Karl Urban, doesn't seem to get much attention but I enjoyed it
The Expendables - all three movies, so sue me
Resident Evil - the Milla Jovovich movies, I don't know much about the computer games

My top picks have all already had one bite at the apple, but I want them to come back:

streetfighterallcharactev9.jpg

masters-of-the-universe-shirts-3.jpg

Nickelodeon-Cast-Of-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Donatello-With-Bo-Staff-Raphael-With-A-Pair-Of-Sai-Action-Figures-Toys-Dolls-e1349276297847.jpg

And there's the Gold Star, the RPG license that will never, ever happen:

super-mario.png

Finally... there are parts of WotC's back catalog I wish they'd license out if they're not going to do anything else with them:

220px-SpelljammerAdventuresInSpaceBox.jpg

200px-Gamma_World_Book.jpg

alternity-stardrive.jpeg

Have you seen the Under A Broken Moon RPG?

Oh yeah, it is very well researched. There is also a Cartoon Action Hours "serials filed off" version of Thundarr, and I think CAH is probably the right system for it. I remember back in the day trying to run a Thundarr inspired game with Gamma World. You'd think there is a lot of overlap but the wargame roots of Gamma World don't allow you to act like characters in the Thundarr cartoons; what you get is more like "this is what a an enhanced Navy Seal team would do if cast in a Thundarr-like world". I exaggerate but I think you see the point.

But back to the point, I kind of assumed the spirit of the thread was find gaps where the game-worthy IP do not have an official game. Otherwise, sure, I can run Expendablies with Dogs of War and both Almost Human and Running Man I could even do with Cyberblues City.

Chronicles of Prydain is one of the inspirations for Beyond the Wall and Bubblegumshoe seems like it would be a good system for Scooby Doo.

I too fear change and new ways. Give me the Scooby-Doo if my childhood or give me death!
But only if they use the classic art style:
View attachment 329
That image you posted irks me! Look at their pointy elbows and bizarre legs!

couv_monty-python-s-life-of-brian.jpg
I envision the players creating would-be messiahs, whether they are outright hucksters, schizophrenic visionaries, or true believers, as well as having the option of being a reluctant messiah à la Brian, all having to avoid persecution by Romans, Pharisees, and each other's disciples and followers while trying to establish a foothold for their competing cults. You could even set it a little earlier than Jesus' period if you are worried about offending devout Christians, as there were many instances of people claiming to be or believed to be the messiah prior to that. I am picturing some Paranoia-style PC vs. PC highjinks. All in good fun.

Last edited:
Resident Evil (The video games, not those god-awful Mila Jovovich films)
Call of Duty (If based on either World War II or Modern Warfare, do it like T2K for a new generation)
Grand Theft Auto
Attack On Titan
Fallout
The Elder Scrolls
Naruto
Urotsukidoji
(It'd be like Black Tokyo done right! And yes, I am joking on this last one for those who don't know)

Last edited:
Jack Vance's Lyonesse in English.
Discworld
Karl Edward Wagner's world of Kane

Call of Duty (If based on either World War II or Modern Warfare, do it like T2K for a new generation)
What is distinct/unique about Call of Duty that another WWll game doesn't cover? (I've only played the original CoD).

{Pellicidar graphic novel photo}
At the Earth's Core is my favorite Burroughs' novel. And, though I'm not really excited these days by IPs->Rpgs, a Pellucidar Rpg - that's not Hollow Earth Expedition, or 2D20 - would be awesome.

At the Earth's Core is my favorite Burroughs' novel. And, though I'm not really excited these days by IPs->Rpgs, a Pellucidar Rpg - that's not Hollow Earth Expedition, or 2D20 - would be awesome.
I'm another who isn't really the audience for 'official' IP licenses. I'm much more likely to go for stuff that's been inspired by a franchise (or two, or three) but then goes and forges its own path.

Like, I really like the optimism and less combat-intensive approach of Star Trek... but I haven't been happy with Star Trek games I've played in because everyone ends up discussing Star Trek trivia and being held up to the light of that canon.
Similarly, I'd like a modern, dark, tragic monster hunter game ala Supernatural... but not tied to that license (which, I guess, NWOD's World of Darkness core does well enough).

Though... I'd still love to play in a well-run World of Warcraft campaign, and if the Unisystem version of City of Heroes ever came to pass I would have jumped through hoops to get it.

Last edited:
What is distinct/unique about Call of Duty that another WWll game doesn't cover? (I've only played the original CoD).

Name recognition, mostly. It could get fans of the video games into the RPG hobby.

Then you have the Modern Warfare trilogy and the futuristic games as well (Ghosts, Advanced Warfare, Infinite Warfare, Black Ops II and Black Ops III), though I don't care for the futuristic games in the franchise.

To be honest, the last Call of Duty game I played that I actually enjoyed was the original Modern Warfare.

But only if they use the classic art style:
View attachment 329
That image you posted irks me! Look at their pointy elbows and bizarre legs!
I feel like you might be throwing stones from a glass house on this one. Daphne looks like a stripper getting tased.

At any rate, Mystery Incorporated or GTFO.

I'm another who isn't really the audience for 'official' IP licenses. I'm much more likely to go for stuff that's been inspired by a franchise (or two, or three) but then goes and forges its own path.
At this point, I think there's enough systems out there that an interested GM can kitbash something workable based on their own understanding of whatever IP the group is interested in. That said, I can also understand how an official take scratches a certain mental need for "correctness", for lack of better term. If done well, licensed RPGs can also be useful as a compendium for a given universe and, in some circumstances, an expansion for it.

Having said all that, a Legend of Zelda RPG would be of great interest to me. And wasn't there supposed to be some news about GURPS Girl Genius this month?

1. Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds/M-Space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revelation_Space_universe

2. CJ Cherryh's Alliance-Union Universe (including Chanur novels)/Cepheus Engine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance–Union_universe

3. SCP Foundation (Secure Contain Protect)/Delta Green
http://www.scp-wiki.net/

Honorable Mention: Peter F Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga, or maybe Night's Dawn Trilogy/??? game unknown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Saga
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night's_Dawn_Trilogy

This stuff.

Also Bas-Lag / ?

Urotsukidoji (It'd be like Black Tokyo done right!)

God no, just...no. Thats the series that put me off anime for about 5 years. Why would anyone want to roleplay demonic nazi tentacle hentai?

Having said all that, a Legend of Zelda RPG would be of great interest to me.

Me as well. I have Hyrule Historia, which makes for a good sourcebook, but would love to see a dedicated system. I can even kinda picture one in my head, similar to BESM, with 3 attributes based on the virtues represented by the pieces of the TriForce.

In the meantime, big fan of ZQuest, a free program online that lets you build worlds in the style of the original Zelda game and play through them as Link.

Discworld

A dedicated Discworld system would be nice. But with GURPs recently rereleasing their version, I guess they'll be holding onto that IP for a while longer.

Paired with Paranoia for the system, natch.

I paired it with Wuthering Heights once...

THE VENTURE BROS RPG
by TS Evans
Being a hack of Phillipe Tromeur's wondurful Wuthering Heights RPG, an English translation of the French role-playing game Rene le jeu de role romantique
148744_orig.jpg

"This show... If you'll permit me to get 'big picture,' This show is actually all about failure. Even in the design, everything is supposed to be kinda the death of the space-age dream world. The death of the jet-age promises." -Jackson Public

CHARACTER CREATION

Qualities

Throw two 10-sided dice and add 39 to obtain your amount of Rage.
Throw two 10-sided dice and add 39 to obtain your amount of Angst.
Throw two 10-sided dice and add 20 to obtain your amount of Oldness.
Throw two 10-sided dice and add 20 to obtain your amount of Batman.

Traits

Throw one 10-sided die and divide by two (rounding up);this is how many Traits you have. Determine each Trait by throwing a d100 and referencing to the Traits Table. If you roll the same Trait twice, you should either double the effect, or roll another. You may refuse a Trait ; each time you do that, you must roll 2 Traits in its stead.

Choose a Name and you are ready to start playing.
586459_orig.jpg

TRAIT TABLE
01 - you are a "pedestrian". (add 10 to Oldness and Age)
02 - you are a clone. (remove 10 from Oldness and Age)
03 . - your parents are dead.(add 10 to Angst and Batman)
04 - you are an invalid.(add 10 to Angst and Rage)
05 - you have a physical deformity.(add 10 to Angst)
06 - you are hard-of-hearing.
07 - you have bad eyesight.
08 - you are mute.
09 - you have a cybernetic limb.
10 - you are or were a rock star(remove 10 from Angst)
11 - you are a damn, dirty hippy. (remove 10 from Rage)
12 - you are an ego-maniac. (remove 10 from Batman)
13 - you are bi-sexual.
14 - you have an ambiguous gender.
15 - you are a transvestite.
15 - you are a technophiliac.
16 - you are a necrophiliac.
17 - you are in love with someone from your family.
18-19 - you are a foreigner.
20-21 - you are a fugitive.
22-23 - you have a secret identity.(add 10 to Batman)
24-25 - you are naive. (remove 10 from Rage)
26-27 - you are a goth.(add 10 to Angst)
28-29 - you are a slacker.(remove 10 from Angst)
30-33 - you are a geek.
34-35 - you have an arch-enemy.
36-37 - you are completely insane.
38-39 - you are a homosexual.
40-41 - you smoke.(12 hours a day)
42 - you are a magic user. (4 hours a day)
43 - you gamble.(2 hours a day)
44 - you are a Christian.(2 hours a day and Sundays)
45-46 - you are an alcoholic.(5 bottles a day)
47 - you are a drug addict.(1 hour a day)
48 - you are a sex addict. (once a day)
49 - you are unhealthy (double Oldness but not Age)
50-51 - you are old. (double your Oldness and Age)
52-53 - you are young (half your Oldness and Age)
54-55 - you are bald.
56-57 - you are fat.
58-59 - you are thin.
60-61 - you are small.
62-63 - you are ugly.
64-65 - you are a bad dresser.
66-67 - you are obsessed with the occult.
68-69 - you are obsessed with revenge.
70-71 - you are in love with your boss's wife.
72-73 - you are evil. (remove 10 from Batman)
74 - you are an albino (without a big sword)
75 - you have a licence to kill (add 10 to Rage)
76 - you read comic books.(add 10 to Batman)
77 - you are or were a superhero.(add 10 to Batman)
78 - you are a robot. (add 10 to Batman and Oldness but not Age).
79 - you are or were a costumed miscreant.(remove 10 from Batman)
80 - you are or were an assassin. (add 10 to Rage)
81 - you are or were a quiz boy.(add 10 to Angst)
82 - you have an evil twin.
83 - you are or were a bodyguard.(add 10 to Batman)
84 -you are or were a ninja.
85 - you are or were a detective.(add 10 to Batman)
86-87 - you are or were a henchman (remove 10 from Rage and Batman)
88-89 - you are or were a super-villain (add 10 to Rage)
90-93 - you are or were a boy adventurer
(remove 10 from Oldness and Age or add 10 to Angst)
95-97 - you are or were a super-scientist (add 10 to Oldness and Age)
98 - make up your own Trait (remove 10 from Batman)
99 - you are or were a secret agent
00 - Mecha-Shiva!Mecha-Shiva!
4005726_orig.jpg

SYSTEM

Basic Rule
You hay two ways to Check a Quality: roll above it or roll below. If the roll equals your Quality, it's a Fumble.

Rage Checks
A violent action requires the character should roll below one's Rage. To refrain from reacting too violently, one should roll above Rage.

Angst Checks
To make an important decision the character should roll above Angst. To be honest, one should roll under Angst.

Oldness Checks
To test a character's wisdom, one should roll below Oldness. To test a character's physical well-being, one should surpass Oldness.

Batman Checks
If a character wants to do something that benefits another but not themselves, the character should roll below their Batman.To screw over another for personal gain, one should roll above Batman.
5090558_orig.png

"It's about the beauty of failure. It's about that failure happens to all of us...Every character is not only flawed, but sucks at what they do, and is beautiful at it and Jackson and I suck at what we do, and we try to be beautiful at it, and failure is how you get by." "It shows that failure's funny, and it's beautiful and it's life, and it's okay, and it's all we can write because we are big fucking failures." - Doc Hammer

Fight!
Both characters should roll below their Rage.
Should one succeed and the other fail, the latter gets a Wound (see below)
Should both succeed, both lose 1 Rage point and the fight keeps on, if both would agree.
Should both fail, they stop the fight and become friends, or something like that.
Whatever the other's result, a Fumble shall give you a Wound.
If both Fumble, both are Wounded.

If a character is fighting for the benefit of another, they may substitute Batman for Rage during a fight.
7669259_orig.jpg

WOUNDS

A Wounded character should roll above their Oldness. The die roll is modified by the kind of weapon:
punch (or a 2 meter fall) d100 + 20
knife, stick (or a 5 meter fall) d100 + 10
sword, pistol (or a 10 meter fall) d100
rifle,ray gun (or a 20 meter fall) d100 - 10
cannon, laser (or a 50 meter fall) d100 - 20

A failure means the character is Dying.
A fumble means Death, after the death speech, of course.

DYING

A Dying character must try to roll above their Oldness every night. Two successive successful nights bring you back to life. Two successive failures kill you. The roll is modified by +25 if the character is in a hospital bed.

8284832.jpg

Suicide
Once Angst reaches 90 or above, a character will try to Murder themself. To commit suicide, a character must roll above Batman. If one fails,they lose 1d10 Rage.

Mania
If Angst reaches 10 or below, the character is happy and spends the days doing useless but funny things; afterwards gaining back 1d10 Angst.

Madness
If Rage ever reaches 90 or above, the character must try a very risky task, after which losing d10 Rage.

Zen
If Rage ever drops to 10 or below, the character loses all energy and must spend the day reading, meditating, dreaming...afterwards gaining back 1d10 Rage.

Delusion
If Batman ever reaches 90 or above, the character is overwhelmed with love for their fellow man, and must commit one completely ludicrous and selfless act...afterwards losing 1d10 Batman.

Tantrum
If Batman ever drops to 10 or below, the character becomes mired in selfish desires, and will throw a fit if they don't get their way, afterwords gaining 1d10 Batman.

Emotional Shocks
During a Tragedy (an 'adventure'), characters will go up and down Rage, Angst and Batman scales.
A strong shock (death of a friend ...) will make you gain / lose d10 points in Rage, Angst or Batman. An important event (love success / failure, death of someone ...) make you gain / lose d10/2 points.
Some events / situations may make you gain / lose 1 point (good / bad weather, small success / failure ...).

Aging
Every Christmas, the Persona must roll above his Oldness ; a failure means he shall be Dying d10 x d10 days later.
A Fumble means a heart attack (death).
Every September 12th, the Persona has 10% chance of gaining a new Problem.
3514936_orig.jpg

GHOSTS
If a character dies before the end of a Tragedy, he might become a Ghost, 2d10 minutes of gameplay later.A Ghost may act on the physical world by rolling below their Rage and losing d10 points of Rage after that.A Ghost may appear and speak to one other character by rolling below their Angst and losing d10 points of Angst after that.Ghosts can fly slowly, but can't go through solid objects. They disappear when their Rage or Angst reaches 10 or below, or at the end of the Adventure. They never gain Rage or Angst.
378020_orig.jpg

Rewards / Evolution
Should some persona survive an Episode (a gaming session), give one of them the possibility to lose a Problem.
If a persona's Rage, Angst, or Batman is greater than 55, they lose d10 points.
If a persona's Rage, Angst, or Batman is less than 45, they gain d10 points.
Add 1d10/2 to your Oldness (1d10/2 years pass).

I'm a sucker for official licensed RPGs. Yes, I know I don't really need them. Yes, I know there's that fan-made thing. Yes, I know there's that other game that's "basically the same thing ... " Love 'em anyway.
I'd love an official book of Marvel heroes and villains statted out for ICONS.
I'd love an official Leverage RPG that's not Cortex (and preferably Fate).
I'd love an official Mass Effect RPG, almost no matter what the system.
I'd love an official Middle-Earth RPG, but for D&D 5e ... Oh, wait, they did that, didn't they? Shit, I need to go buy all those books right now ... Sigh ...

I paired it with Wuthering Heights once...

THE VENTURE BROS RPG
by TS Evans
Being a hack of Phillipe Tromeur's wondurful Wuthering Heights RPG, an English translation of the French role-playing game Rene le jeu de role romantique
148744_orig.jpg

"This show... If you'll permit me to get 'big picture,' This show is actually all about failure. Even in the design, everything is supposed to be kinda the death of the space-age dream world. The death of the jet-age promises." -Jackson Public

This made my day.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back