What’s a recent trend/fad that you despise?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you feel the same about 99% of your cultural landscape? Let's say you're an RPG fan in 2045 and you want to know what the kids were up to in 2024. You really have to hope someone archived the good stuff.
I suspect the best of it will be saved. 99% of it isn't the best. If I lost Koogle Peanut butter ads as a cost to not having every thing I did saved and searchable I'd be fine.

Another linguistic one...

As a librarian, I encounter a LOT of teenagers every day. From the time school lets out until 5:00 p.m. I hear the word "Bro" hundreds of times every day. That isn't an exaggeration. Some kids manage to use it multiple times in the same sentence. You would think that constant repetition would lead to a sort of linguistic blindness, but it has the opposite effect. After an hour or so I start mentally wincing every time someone says it.
Don't get me started on the linguistic atrocities committed by Dutch speakers these days. And it's definitely not just teenagers.

Okay. The one that really gets my goat. Using the English present tense for past events. It started in timelines, headlines, and clickbait. Then it got taken up by journalists. Then YouTubers. Now it's everywhere.

Last edited:
Okay. The one that really gets my goat. Using the English present tense for past events. It started in timelines, headlines, and clickbait. Then it got taken up by journalists. Then YouTubers. Now it's everywhere.

I though that was only me... I mean, is it that difficult to use your language correctly? So irritating...

Another linguistic one...

As a librarian, I encounter a LOT of teenagers every day. From the time school lets out until 5:00 p.m. I hear the word "Bro" hundreds of times every day. That isn't an exaggeration. Some kids manage to use it multiple times in the same sentence. You would think that constant repetition would lead to a sort of linguistic blindness, but it has the opposite effect. After an hour or so I start mentally wincing every time someone says it.
Similar note, strangers calling me bro.

Similar note, strangers calling me bro.
I've always had this issue with strangers calling me by intimate terminology. I was stationed at Fort Stewart Georgia for a brief time in (late 1980s) between european postings and was at this bank I used. The teller kept calling me "sweetie", I'd never met her and it just rubbed me wrong every time she said it. I finally said, "look, I don't know you, you aren't my grandmother nor are you someone I'm sleeping with, so stop calling me sweetie". The look on her face was priceless, but I did feel bad. It just couldn't stand it anymore. I'm not your sweetie, hon or dear, you don't fucking know me, be professional.

Stan Stan
1710099097846.png

Yes. Soo much this. Related ever notice how often people throw around words like "love" as another example. Word abuse, its a thing. Which then makes me think of a book my wife has whose title I love. If I recall the title... "Heavy Words Lightly Thrown". If I recall it's more about rhymes and such but what a great title.
I'll add in "family".

I've always had this issue with strangers calling me by intimate terminology. I was stationed at Fort Stewart Georgia for a brief time in (late 1980s) between european postings and was at this bank I used. The teller kept calling me "sweetie", I'd never met her and it just rubbed me wrong every time she said it. I finally said, "look, I don't know you, you aren't my grandmother nor are you someone I'm sleeping with, so stop calling me sweetie". The look on her face was priceless, but I did feel bad. It just couldn't stand it anymore. I'm not your sweetie, hon or dear, you don't fucking know me, be professional.

Stan Stan
View attachment 79166

I'm surprised she didn't reply with "Ok, sweetie." :hehe:

But every woman I've ever met from the US South tends to do this. It may have gone away in younger generations, but in my age group, its a given that a southern raised woman is going to call you sweetie, hon, honey, or something along those lines...

I'm surprised she didn't reply with "Ok, sweetie." :hehe:

But every woman I've ever met from the US South tends to do this. It may have gone away in younger generations, but in my age group, its a given that a southern raised woman is going to call you sweetie, hon, honey, or something along those lines...
Yea, it's the dialect equivalent of sir or ma'am. It comes out a ton in service situations like waitresses. They are trying to be friendly/respectful but they don't know your name.

New York magazine did a piece about whether Vin Diesel or Dwayne Johnson had the lower voice in that movie so they ran the audio through a device that measured it all scientific like and to my surprise Johnson actually edged out Diesel by a couple of hertz.

Yea, it's the dialect equivalent of sir or ma'am. It comes out a ton in service situations like waitresses. They are trying to be friendly/respectful but they don't know your name.

That's all it is. You can use "sweetie" with (usually, not always) someone younger than you as a less formal, friendlier way of saying "sir" or "ma'am," particularly in a service-oriented situation. It isn't meant to be belittling or to imply some sort of relationship or "familiarity." As R ribonucleic said, the British equivalent would be "love"/"luv."

Older ladies calling me "hun", or "pet", or "love" makes my eyelid twitch too.

Companies and stores have a tendency to use the informal form of the word "you" (je, jij, jou) and "your" (jouw) these days. Somehow this rubs me the wrong way. The more formal form (u, uw) used to be common and feels much more fitting when addressing a customer.

Companies and stores have a tendency to use the informal form of the word "you" (je, jij, jou) and "your" (jouw) these days. Somehow this rubs me the wrong way. The more formal form (u, uw) used to be common and feels much more fitting when addressing a customer.
If living in America has taught me anything, it's that anyone that charges you money for goods and services is family.

I grow increasingly disheartened at the scarcity of physical media - films, music, games, tv shows etc.
And subscriptions for software. This is mostly old man shaking his fist at the sky but it does feel like the big corps just want to gouge money out of us and tell us its a good thing.

I grow increasingly disheartened at the scarcity of physical media - films, music, games, tv shows etc.
And subscriptions for software. This is mostly old man shaking his fist at the sky but it does feel like the big corps just want to gouge money out of us and tell us its a good thing.
I'm not that old, and I agree!

I just want to share two more, because I'm in a nasty mood:gunslinger:!

1) People assuming that asking for something means the person asked is going to grant it. "Please" isn't a magic word, bitch, no matter what "Sesame street" or whatever pop-culture reference told you:gooseshades:!
1a) It does even less of its supposed job if you're saying it with the certainty that it's somehow binding:thumbsup:.

2) Assuming that apologies make it fine and it's going to be forgotten. Granted, I've committed that particular fallacy myself, but it's still infuriating when other people do it:madgoose:!

I hate Office 365, partly the subscription aspect but also the way it wants to stick files online in dubious locations. You know you'll be unlikely to see the files again if you stop having 365.

But subscription software is small potatoes compared to subscription hardware. I've read a tale, possibly apocryphal, of an HP printer that stopped working because the owner's credit card on file had expired. Farmers have been fighting with John Deere for years for the right to modify software in the equipment and have the specs to be able to repair them. Corps want to make it so you never really own anything.

2) Assuming that apologies make it fine and it's going to be forgotten. Granted, I've committed that particular fallacy myself, but it's still infuriating when other people do it:madgoose:!

This is especially true when they regularly do the thing until they're called on it, give a half assed apology, then keep doing the thing.

1) People assuming that asking for something means the person asked is going to grant it. "Please" isn't a magic word, bitch, no matter what "Sesame street" or whatever pop-culture reference told you:gooseshades:!

Grown adults not accepting No for an answer is my biggest annoyance. Stop acting like a child who was told they can't have ice cream before bed and move on!

Here's a two-for-one: my work recently had an issue where they couldn't use several new servers because the network cables connecting the boxes weren't from the same company. Apparently instead of returning the boxes as "non-functional shit piles" and getting servers that aren't filled with such unadvertised surprise "features" they sucked up the added cost and bought the cables.

main-qimg-3553460ce05161730b4d019e9bef9f44-lq

This has been around for a while, but being an old guy, "recent" is relative...

I really dislike the overuse of hyperbole in everyday language these days. "Amazing," "incredible," "life changing," and a lot of other similar terms are regularly used in place of "I like this." That makes the terms far less effective at conveying general astonishment, or even the degree to which the other person is impressed by something.

My grandfather was quite critical of the way my brother and I would use the word "awesome" in the '80s.

I hate Office 365, partly the subscription aspect but also the way it wants to stick files online in dubious locations. You know you'll be unlikely to see the files again if you stop having 365.

But subscription software is small potatoes compared to subscription hardware. I've read a tale, possibly apocryphal, of an HP printer that stopped working because the owner's credit card on file had expired. Farmers have been fighting with John Deere for years for the right to modify software in the equipment and have the specs to be able to repair them. Corps want to make it so you never really own anything.
Worse, those farmers who don't want to pay for some patented seed, and are unfortunately caught between a rock and hard place when they either decide they don't want to use that seed anymore or never did and yet still have that particular seed/plant in their crops due to wind drift. Corporations have become a blight upon the world and how powerful their rights are versus ours.

Same...moving everything to a rental model where you no longer own anything, you just license it...and where those terms can change at any time. It's more than an annoyance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back