Your personal top 10 board games

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Honestly the only bad part of clue is the roll and move. Remove that and its actually a fairly OK deduction game.

Honestly the only bad part of clue is the roll and move. Remove that and its actually a fairly OK deduction game.
Although Mystery of the Abbey pretty much replaced it for my family. Same general idea but I think it does it better.

To be honest boardgames have lost me a bit. They are now so expensive that it's just not worth it - even if I could afford it. A hundred quid for a game that probably won't get played much (YMMV) and no doubt is so component rich you'll be exhausted just by setting the game up!

Something's not right here.

To be honest boardgames have lost me a bit. They are now so expensive that it's just not worth it - even if I could afford it. A hundred quid for a game that probably won't get played much (YMMV) and no doubt is so component rich you'll be exhausted just by setting the game up!

Something's not right here.
Yah, there's something to that. They're cost-efficient if you actually play them, but some of the guys in my group will buy a new $50-$60 game every few months, which we play at most once or twice before it apparently goes to the back of the gaming closet ...
A lot of them are complicated as hell, too - way more than most of the RPGs I'm interested in. These same guys will have no problem trying out a new board game, but complain any time I want to test drive a new RPG because "we don't want to have to learn new rules" ... :O

Yah, there's something to that. They're cost-efficient if you actually play them, but some of the guys in my group will buy a new $50-$60 game every few months, which we play at most once or twice before it apparently goes to the back of the gaming closet ...
A lot of them are complicated as hell, too - way more than most of the RPGs I'm interested in. These same guys will have no problem trying out a new board game, but complain any time I want to test drive a new RPG because "we don't want to have to learn new rules" ... :O
This is why I buy almost all ny games used.

Even if you do play it, will you ever play it regularly enough? I'm not even sure that's possible these days. I barely play Arkham Horror LCG despite collecting it. Although there are a couple of reasons, not just cost (FFG's ridiculous release rate, set up/tear down, and game balance/rules - it's too random and punishingly unfun at times).

This whole hobby now seems to thrive on Kickstarter to support these massive projects and the retail price is astronomical.

Sure, by all means buy second hand - if you can find what you want at a price you are prepared to pay :grin:

Even if you do play it, will you ever play it regularly enough? I'm not even sure that's possible these days. I barely play Arkham Horror LCG despite collecting it. Although there are a couple of reasons, not just cost (FFG's ridiculous release rate, set up/tear down, and game balance/rules - it's too random and punishingly unfun at times).

This whole hobby now seems to thrive on Kickstarter to support these massive projects and the retail price is astronomical.

Sure, by all means buy second hand - if you can find what you want at a price you are prepared to pay :grin:
I think there is some truth in what you're saying which is why I'm starting to see more of the games selling new for 50%+ off a few years out.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back