Cool Miniatures

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Does anyone have a go-to recommendation for 'sensible fantasy' 28mm miniatures? I'm looking for a style of figures that don't have huge pauldron spikes, torso-sized axe blades, etc, but still with fantasy trappings.

Are you looking for singles or armies?

For Singles you can look into the WizKids range; they have 'sensible' D&D models.

There is a ton of great stuff being done by small companies. There was a range for Mork Borg that recently went through KS that were fantastic. There's a range for Song of Ice and Fire that might work for you as well, although I don't remember the company who makes them.

The multi part kits for Frostgrave and Oathmark, especially if you buy separate sprues instead of entire boxes.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a go-to recommendation for 'sensible fantasy' 28mm miniatures? I'm looking for a style of figures that don't have huge pauldron spikes, torso-sized axe blades, etc, but still with fantasy trappings.
Northstar has humans, skeletons, orcs, goblins, elves, dwarves, snakemen, gnolls, and a wide range of mercenaries, pirates, knights, all in hard polystyrene. They only come in boxes of 20 - 30 but it seems to me there's an online retailer that sells single sprues.

HA! Ninjad

Also, Wargames Atlantic has giant spiders, goblins, skeletons, and halflings all in hard styrene.
Heheh.

if you’re in the US, recreationalconflict.com has all those for sale, with a 20% off sale ending today.

I did find those spiders an absolute nightmare to assemble. Do not recommend.

On a side note, Wargames Atlantic Death Fields Cannon Fodder + Star Grave= your own personal Paranoia Skirmish game set :hehe:

( Come to think of it, has there ever been a setting riper for a multi-multiplayer Braunstein type minis thingie than Paranoia???)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the recommendations.
For Singles you can look into the WizKids range; they have 'sensible' D&D models.
'Kings of War' has the Basilean Army, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings... who all look Sensible Fantasy.
I have some Kings of War and Wizkids minis, but they mostly still have weapons that look cartoonishly outsized to my eye. Now I'm wondering if it's more a limitation of the production process than fantasy extravagance? Do they get too fragile if they're made smaller? Maybe I can try clipping them down slightly.

The multi part kits for Frostgrave and Oathmark, especially if you buy separate sprues instead of entire boxes.
I love the style of some of those Frostgrave minis, but many seem to have the same outsized axe heads etc. The Oathmark ones look a bit better, I might give them a go.

Also, Wargames Atlantic has giant spiders, goblins, skeletons, and halflings all in hard styrene.
I like the style of those skeletons and goblins too.

That is an exception paint job...but what the hell is it?
I have no idea, I have a lot of painted fig stuff in my FB feed and I just sometimes just cut and paste cool pics to this thread. The bust is from a small studio as I recall, perhaps from Poland, but I'm not sure.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back