GW The Old World is back?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I got to the 4 minute mark so far - her voice is...challenging to listen to. I dunno, she seems to be trying to make a mountain of a molehill. We've known about the legacy armies, and which armies were going to get initial support for 2 years, not 4 days before launch as she says, trying to make it seem like a last minute reveal seems kinda dishonest.
That's why I don't sub to her. Her voice drives me crazy. I was catching up on my subscribed videos and noted that one was recommended so I gave it a try and was able to get through it. Sometimes she's much more over the top in a distracting way.

Meh, youtubers have got to play the youtube game, and her stuff isn't really targeted at us. I've watched a few of her videos and she's generally on target, if fuzzy about details.

I dunno, I belong to several TOW communities online and the ratio of posts complaining about legacies and cost to posts excited about painting minis and playing the new game is like 1:75.

I dunno, I belong to several TOW communities online and the ratio of posts complaining about legacies and cost to posts excited about painting minis and playing the new game is like 1:75.
That's literally my point, though. Her stuff isn't targeted at people like us (And you're even harder into this than I am), she's very much in the "casual industry blogger" space.

That's literally my point, though. Her stuff isn't targeted at people like us (And you're even harder into this than I am), she's very much in the "casual industry blogger" space.
For me, I'd be fine with the "Casual Industry Blogger" and subbing. I just can't deal with the voice tonal way she talks. As if she's some 1930s to 1950's Hollywood Reporter working for some scandal rag focused on the stars.

It's a me problem. I'm sound sensitive in the last couple decades in particular. Probably brain injury related (military, concerts, skateboarding, surfing, snow skiing etc). I can't stand when my wife or anyone eats near me, more so crunchy foods. Drives me to distraction, I can deal with it ok if I also am eating. Misophonia sucks, as does aging in general. lol

I said nothing about Vikings. I suspect I'm still salty about not getting the long promised Nipponese army.

For me, I'd be fine with the "Casual Industry Blogger" and subbing. I just can't deal with the voice tonal way she talks. As if she's some 1930s to 1950's Hollywood Reporter working for some scandal rag focused on the stars.

It's a me problem.

It's not just you, her voice makes my brain hurt

Sure, I avoid a lot of hobby videos online for that reason. But I still object to the fearmongering, cheap drama for clicks isn't good for anyone, casual or hardcore.

I said nothing about Vikings. I suspect I'm still salty about not getting the long promised Nipponese army.

We've seen leaked mini designs for Kislev and Cathay so far. Depending how those go, Nippon doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

We've seen leaked mini designs for Kislev and Cathay so far. Depending how those go, Nippon doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.
I doubt we'll see both Cathay and Nippon, but who knows. Cathay is a super cool idea too.

With the popularity of Cathay in TWW3, I think they might try it. However, they avoided any hubbub about the Old World’s New World because it’s frog guys and lizardmen. With doing Cathay, it'll be a different story. They may not want to touch it with a 10' pole.

Last edited:
Those, ah, landscapes make me think they've been playing too much Age of Sigmar.

Pretty sure those are TWW3 concept work they did with Creative Assembly that they slapped the Old World logo on and added to one of those early "we can't tell you exactly what TOW will be, because we're not sure ourselves" phase of posts. If TOW does really well, maybe Forgeworld will be able to add Cathay and Kislev after the 9 core factions are out, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Cathay and Kislev were already confirmed by GW, several times

Always in a, "not in the launch or the first few waves, but someday" context. Which is why I say that IF The Old World does well and continues as a supported side-game, maybe in a few years after the 9 core factions are out we'll see something. But project plans and scopes can always change, so I'm just going to wait and see.

Well, my estimation is that we're going to be on a regular schedule of "releases" for ToW for the first sales quarter of the year and then see it drop off to a 3 or 4 month cycle, until annual sales analysis and that will determine if it continues with support much like War of the Ring or slowed down.

Everyone has an army list day one, but my question is if they are going to stock the other lines with the older models that got phased out by AoS right away, or stagger the releases with new centrepiece models and their own Arcane Journals pushing the story forward? While that seems like a typical GW approach for a new edition of the game, they can't rely on players who already own those armies, meaning the initial releases may be tight, 2 armies per month gets us to the starting line for the game in 4 months. so right when they'd be looking at first sales quarter. I don't think GW will put too much stock in the first sales unless they are something to brag about to the board of investors, they need to see that the game is able to sustain itself after the collector contingent and nostalgia purchases die down. They are probably watching the reseller's market closely, as duplicitous as that sounds. I cant imagine any company like GW ignoring that as a data source.

So if I'm correct, and GW doesn't try something insane like releasing two armies every quarter so the game is excluding a large proportion of it's potential customers for over a year (I'm not totally ruling that out, GW has made some absolutely bizarre moves as a company enough times in the past to turn "unbelievable" into "I wouldn't put it past them"), then I'd say first year's annual sales will determine if GW will invest in the molds for a whole new army. Kislev still has miniatures from 6th edition that GW has shown in posts discussing the Kislev army, so my guess is it's going first. How it does will determine if or how fast we get Cathay.

If the gameline is at least financially self-sustainable, everything that's been discussed as in the works will make up the first phase of the game. For core gamelines this is 5 years, for secondary lines this can be less or more a few years. With TOW being a "new" gameline, my estimate is that it will get a review in year 3, and then a final evaluation in year 5 as the initial plans for the meta-plot are tied up. At this point, the degree of success determines if the gameline is expanded upon. If it is shown to be able to sustain ostensibly new armies, or at least not ones orphaned by AoS, I think that will be the deciding factor before introducing any of the legacy factions back in.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the ripple effect that the The Old World's release is having in the Oldhammer community. Things seem more vibrant, more stuff being shared this month. Many folks are pairing TOW with old miniatures. I think it's an adrenaline shot the Oldhammer groups desperately needed, especially in the wake of Ansell's passing, which felt very much like the End of an Era.

My dude, you just spent a LOT of words arguing the same thing I said in a few - if the Old World does well, maybe we'll see Kislev and Cathay. But I'm also allowing that plans change all the time for companies, and GW has proven especially erratic about game release-and-support in the past.

I'm not denying that we'll see the armies in question, I'm doubting we'll see them. I'm simply not willing to predict that far into the future of a rather unique situation - the release a very new yet very old game. And I'm not willing to take video game concept drawings posted years before the concrete release plan was made public as any sort of concrete evidence.

But yeah, the excitement in the Oldhammer community is nice. I've been going over my dragon horde of Old- and Middlehammer stuff and plotting. I'm still wanting to see more information post-release, after the pre-release period hype buzz is over, but I might collect the books if the general community keeps up the good reviews. And if it doesn't - I save a lot of money, but still have the excitement and my complete set of 5e rules and army books dug out of storage...

Also, the potential of mixing my old minis and my 3D printer is also starting to itch...I've been supporting several Old- and Middlehammer adjacent sculptors on Patreon for a while, now...

My dude, you just spent a LOT of words arguing the same thing I said in a few - if the Old World does well, maybe we'll see Kislev and Cathay.

I don't think we made the same arguments, seeing as I disagree with your statement there.

Orcs and goblins army box and new minis revealed. While everyone online is scrabbling for first day products I'm just waiting for The Legacy pdfs.

Also Cubicle 7 announced new TOW rpg....despite WFRP 4e already existing

Heard everything pretty much sold out already. At least that's what I noted my local game shop mentioning.

Heard everything pretty much sold out already. At least that's what I noted my local game shop mentioning.

Pre-orders were sold out in under 15 minutes. 48,000 lined up outside Warhammer World to get the books on release day.

I'm fine waiting for the next printing, but it bodes well for the gameline's future I guess

Pre-orders were sold out in under 15 minutes. 48,000 lined up outside Warhammer World to get the books on release day.

I'm fine waiting for the next printing, but it bodes well for the gameline's future I guess
That's gotta make the GW corporate folks very happy.

A sneak peek at the rulebook's painted armies section...

0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Not sure if this is the best place for it, it feels on topic. Though I could be wrong. She really rips into GW on the Oldhammer stuff.
Discourse rips into GW on every game that they produce - except for Middle Earth BSG.

I've watched her intermittently for a few years, and her channel and personality are driven by her obsession with disappointment, IMO. She has some legitimate gripes and it's clear that she has a deep-love for the GW of old - the games, and the more hobbyist business approach instead of the quest for consumer cash at all costs.

But she can't focus on positives (like spending much time endorsing other wargame companies, or the joys of wargaming in general) because her channel - and revenue stream - are based on kvetching, as a consumer activist/representative. Click-bait video title cards, doom 'n' gloom, and misery are a requirement to keep her own business running.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back