New edition of WH40K

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So... Is there anything I want from the Crusade: Tyrannic War Sourcebook? I saw someone say that the rulebook in the Leviathan set had all it's material included.

I picked up my copy from my store I play at today. And my backup copy from GW delivered today too. They printed my label back on the 21st. Never shipped until yesterday.

To the quote, GW site said the Tyrannic War was already covered by the Leviathan rulebook.

Last edited:
In terms of challenging GW, I think any competitor that apes GW pocket money blister packs will be onto a winner.
Most toy shops carried a stand with a random mess of fantasy and 40k but what was important was that there was rarely anything more expensive than £4 (1990's prices) and it widened the availability.

Say if the likes of One Page Rules started producing physical miniatures, priced them at a realistic price and got them distributed with a QR code to their website. That would be interesting to see.

Aah! Amazone Gothique was on the cover of my first WD. :gooselove:

I now have roughly 60 Termagants glued, and 11 Neurogaunts and 2 dozen Genestealers and a box of Hormogaunts and if I ever have to assemble another horde critter again it will be too soon (looks at piles of Skaven Clanrats, Plaguebearers, Zombies & Skeletons, Poxwalkers... Why can't I just take Knights or Sons of Behemat as an army?). The new click&fit models are quite easy though, compared to the older glue'em mini's.
Preparing for a first game in 2 weeks.

In terms of challenging GW, I think any competitor that apes GW pocket money blister packs will be onto a winner.
Most toy shops carried a stand with a random mess of fantasy and 40k but what was important was that there was rarely anything more expensive than £4 (1990's prices) and it widened the availability.

Say if the likes of One Page Rules started producing physical miniatures, priced them at a realistic price and got them distributed with a QR code to their website. That would be interesting to see.
That price point would be roughly what single sprues of the Northstar *Grave and Oathmak stuff sells for (as well as many other plastic minis sprue makers) today.

I got into Rogue Trader a little bit later than folks in the UK (probably). My impression is that the release of the plastic SM set more than anything else (although I can think of a few other, important, things) really began the upward climb of 40K as a juggernaut.

I now have roughly 60 Termagants glued, and 11 Neurogaunts and 2 dozen Genestealers and a box of Hormogaunts and if I ever have to assemble another horde critter again it will be too soon

Preparing for a first game in 2 weeks.
I feel you. I finally unpacked my Guard from storage and have 150+ too fucking many infantry and 15 vehicles, most of which needs to be assembled and painted. Thankfully I only need to field a fraction of it and am only assembling and painting what I need for the next battle.

I am glad our group is starting with 500pts and escalating by 250 every session to give everyone time not only to absorb the rules but to get things assembled and painted.

Last edited:
LOL! It looks like I spoke too soon up above. That shipment wasn't for my Leviathan box. It was only for the Leviathan novel I ordered along with my box set. I got the shipment and was like, "this box is not the size expected."

The Leviathan set I pre-ordered from Games Workshop only had it's label printed yesterday, and has yet to be handed over to the carrier.

Oh well. I'm sure they had lots of orders to process.

My first game of 10th edition is tomorrow. I am going to be assembling units all day (I do WYSIWYG for my models). At the time of writing I plan to take approximately 25 infantry, 1 artillery unit, and 1 armor unit for every 500 points to ensure a balanced, "all comers" army.

Here's 500 points:
  • Cadian Command Squad (5 models)
    • officer w/power fist, plasma pistol
      • Grand Strategist
    • medic, master vox, standard
    • plasma gun
  • Cadian Shock Troops (20 models)
    • plasma x2
    • grenade launcher x2
    • vox x2
  • Heavy Weapon Team (3 models)
    • mortars
  • Scout Sentinel
    • lascannon
  • Leman Russ
    • turret- battle cannon
    • coaxial- heavy stubber
    • hull- lascannon
    • sponsons- plasma cannon x2
I'm very tempted to roll "el classico" and use heavy bolter sponsons on the Russ even though they are objectively worse than plasma for the same points.

Equipping a standard instead of another plasma gun may seem like a poor choice when I can increase objective control with Duty and Honor! instead but 1) standards are cool and 2) standards ensure that my dudes can still contest an objective when they inevitably suffer from battle shock.

The mortar teams exploit the synergy between the Scout Sentinel's daring recon and indirect fire. In larger games I plan to run a squad of 3 scout sentinels directing fire for my manticores and basilisks.

I am very happy with my first game of 10th edition. The guys in the league were cool, no bad sportsmanship, no one was weird around my wife, etc. We held a raffle and I won $25 in store credit.

My opponent was Black Templars. By the middle of turn 3 almost my entire army was still on the table while my opponent was left with two greatly reduced squads. My opponent earned significantly more VP but since I was almost certainly going to table him we shook hands and called it a draw.

The MVP was the 20-man infantry blob. It killed more Marines than everything else combined with Overwatch and FRF, SRF! When my unit was finally destroyed in close combat, I used the Reinforcements! stratagem to bring it back from the dead and into strategic reserves.

I got my cards ordered today. So I'm set for my 40K gaming for the foreseeable future.
Hey man I gotta man up and admit you were right and I was wrong about the cards (serves me right for listening to Reddit cheapskates!). I don't even care about errata. By the end of Turn 1 I already was sick of flipping through the 40k app for the information I needed. My FLGS was sold out but I ordered them from GW.

In a similar spirit I also went ahead and picked up some custom tokens from Etsy to track my orders and stratagems.

Hey man I gotta man up and admit you were right and I was wrong about the cards (serves me right for listening to Reddit cheapskates!). I don't even care about errata. By the end of Turn 1 I already was sick of flipping through the 40k app for the information I needed. My FLGS was sold out but I ordered them from GW.

In a similar spirit I also went ahead and picked up some custom tokens from Etsy to track my orders and stratagems.
My store was out of Tyranid cards when I got there despite a preorder, so I ordered from GW too. I get not having enough giving the way they have to order them. But this is the same store that sold the preorder freebies instead of giving away on a FCFS basis. The deployment set for $20 and the dice tray for $30.

I believe in supporting my LGS, but I don’t regret ordering my second copy of Leviathan direct from GW.

I believe in supporting my LGS, but I don’t regret ordering my second copy of Leviathan direct from GW.
I support my FLGS as best I can but it is usually less convenient than shopping online despite being close to my home. It's a big store with many employees and a lot of stock but it's poorly managed e.g. they have racks for every paint manufacturer I can think of but colors aren't replaced when they sell out. I have repeatedly asked if I can special order and the employees either 1) direct me to the poorly organized website which, as far as I can tell, does not facilitate any kind of special order or 2) tell me it will take "months". I wonder if the owner knows the employees are leaving money on the table.

I support my FLGS as best I can but it is usually less convenient than shopping online despite being close to my home. It's a big store with many employees and a lot of stock but it's poorly managed e.g. they have racks for every paint manufacturer I can think of but colors aren't replaced when they sell out. I have repeatedly asked if I can special order and the employees either 1) direct me to the poorly organized website which, as far as I can tell, does not facilitate any kind of special order or 2) tell me it will take "months". I wonder if the owner knows the employees are leaving money on the table.
I worked in an FLGS for years. Ordering you paint should be a next week thing at worst unless the supplier is out of stock. Shenanigans.

I worked in an FLGS for years. Ordering you paint should be a next week thing at worst unless the supplier is out of stock. Shenanigans.
I worked at a FLGS in the early 90's myself. I don't know WTF is up with this place. Looking at the Yelp reviews, they all say the same thing: poorly organized stock and poor customer service. I've been shopping there sporadically for at least two decades and they know my name but to this day when I ask employees where something is or whether they have something in stock I get "They should be over there," followed by a gesture in a vague direction.

Last edited:
I worked at a FLGS in the early 90's myself. I don't know WTF is up with this place. Looking at the Yelp reviews, they all say the same thing: poorly organized stock and poor customer service. I've been going there for at least two decades and they know my name but to this day when I ask employees where something is or if they have anything in stock I usually get "They should be over there," followed by a gesture in a vague direction.
Well, if you aren't going to train and hold your employees accountable I guess that's what you get. Meh.

There's a game store right down the street from me... a short walk... and, for a moment, I considered going there to get the new 40K box, but the owner has never been even minimally friendly or helpful... so why bother? Why pay more for the privilege of him ignoring me till I'm ready to pay?

I've always found myself printing out the datasheets from the codex books before play so that I would have something resembling easy reference sheets. As for flipping through that kind of thing on a phone or tablet, I personally find it far more convenient to have actual physical cards for only the units in the game.

It has struck me as odd that GW would sell "Datacards" which were huge decks of strategems, as well as other decks full of mission goals, but never made decks of unit datasheets. Then again, GW seems more than a bit lost on the idea of actual play components. I chalked it up that GW is selling a line of collectibles with the game as a marketing point rather than the other way around.

---

So the new starters have been announced. The new equivalent for the old Command set is now the Ultimate. It's pretty much the same general thing: partial contents of the launch box plus terrain and some starter do-dads.

I had been intending to pick up one copy of it for shits and giggles. But I find myself a bit surprised at the terrain choice for the set. It's just a subset of the Nachmund set. I already got a big box of that back when Amazon was selling them for $80.

I'm not sure why I'd be surprised that they'd dump Nachmund terrain parts in the set. It clearly didn't sell anywhere near what they were hoping and they're trying to clear it out of inventory. Regardless, I am.

Nachmund terrain
My 40k club uses a variety of old and new terrain. While the Nachmud isn't bad it is my least favorite. I wish I had picked up more of the iconic older kits like Honoured Imperium when I had the opportunity. Does anyone here happen to know of any third party companies that make ruined Imperial city kits that don't look out of place with older kits like Honoured Imperium and Basilica Administratum?

So the new starters have been announced. The new equivalent for the old Command set is now the Ultimate. It's pretty much the same general thing: partial contents of the launch box plus terrain and some starter do-dads.
1688437928002.png

I don't care about the rest of the contents but really want that rulebook. A small core rulebook should have been included with the Leviathan box set like it was in 6th edition. The massive hardback tome that came with Leviathan set is more like a vanity coffee table piece than a reference book.

View attachment 63689

I don't care about the rest of the contents but really want that rulebook. A small core rulebook should have been included with the Leviathan box set like it was in 6th edition. The massive hardback tome that came with Leviathan set is more like a vanity coffee table piece than a reference book.
Is this available now?

There's a game store right down the street from me... a short walk... and, for a moment, I considered going there to get the new 40K box, but the owner has never been even minimally friendly or helpful... so why bother? Why pay more for the privilege of him ignoring me till I'm ready to pay?

What is it about hobby stores that makes them think they can basically treat their customers poorly, and everything will be ok? I mean, this shit didn't work back in the 70's and 80's before the Internet; I can't imagine how these places stay in business when you can get *anything you want* with a click of a button.

Is this available now?

It will probably be available for order from GW on the 8th. But since it's their mass market box, it will be even more widely available everywhere else that has carried items like it in the next few weeks.

What is it about hobby stores that makes them think they can basically treat their customers poorly, and everything will be ok? I mean, this shit didn't work back in the 70's and 80's before the Internet; I can't imagine how these places stay in business when you can get *anything you want* with a click of a button.
I think most FLGS's live or die by the Cardgame trade. You have to have a big footprint to be hosting enough Miniature Wargame events to pull in the Wargamers.

I think most FLGS's live or die by the Cardgame trade. You have to have a big footprint to be hosting enough Miniature Wargame events to pull in the Wargamers.
Yeah, the guy in our town hosts Pokemon and MTG tournaments... and 40K stuff in the back room. I think I'd get a lot more attention if I were a wide-eyed 12yr old.

My first game of 10th edition is tomorrow. I am going to be assembling units all day (I do WYSIWYG for my models). At the time of writing I plan to take approximately 25 infantry, 1 artillery unit, and 1 armor unit for every 500 points to ensure a balanced, "all comers" army.

Here's 500 points:
  • Cadian Command Squad (5 models)
    • officer w/power fist, plasma pistol
      • Grand Strategist
    • medic, master vox, standard
    • plasma gun
  • Cadian Shock Troops (20 models)
    • plasma x2
    • grenade launcher x2
    • vox x2
  • Heavy Weapon Team (3 models)
    • mortars
  • Scout Sentinel
    • lascannon
  • Leman Russ
    • turret- battle cannon
    • coaxial- heavy stubber
    • hull- lascannon
    • sponsons- plasma cannon x2
I'm very tempted to roll "el classico" and use heavy bolter sponsons on the Russ even though they are objectively worse than plasma for the same points.

Equipping a standard instead of another plasma gun may seem like a poor choice when I can increase objective control with Duty and Honor! instead but 1) standards are cool and 2) standards ensure that my dudes can still contest an objective when they inevitably suffer from battle shock.

The mortar teams exploit the synergy between the Scout Sentinel's daring recon and indirect fire. In larger games I plan to run a squad of 3 scout sentinels directing fire for my manticores and basilisks.
IMG_0237.jpeg

Well, shit. They've announced Legions Imperialis. They just might be getting some of my scarce dollars one day after all.
Rumors of Epic were bouncing around, they were off by 10,000 years it looks like. :grin:

Supposedly not full Epic, since it's limited to HH marine vs. marine action.

They've got Sola Auxilia in the core box, so not just marines and yeah, I expect years between releases.

I'm still waiting for the rumor to come true about a relaunch of Battlefleet Gothic.

Well, shit. They've announced Legions Imperialis. They just might be getting some of my scarce dollars one day after all.
As someone who has the first and second starter box editions of the old Epic, I am happy about the news! The cover art for the original is some of my favorite 40k art

1688694017973.png

I'm still waiting for the rumor to come true about a relaunch of Battlefleet Gothic.

And if they do, please please please please please make Imperial ships not completely suck? Please?

They've got Sola Auxilia in the core box, so not just marines and yeah, I expect years between releases.
Oh... I'm not up on the modern lore... 'Sola Auxilia' sounded like another variety of marine to me. Either way, no Eldar/Orks/Tyranids...

Their the Terran Imperial Guard, better armed and equipped than your provincial regiments but nowhere near marine levels. Also, if I remember right their lasguns slowly kill them through leaked radiation like the Adeptus Mechanicus Skitiari.

Sola Auxilia'
The Solar Auxilia was the elite or special forces of the Imperialis Auxilia (Imperial Army) during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy. Post Heresy, the Imperium lost the ability to field large units with the equipment that made the Solar Auxilia so effective back in the day. I think the Tempestus Scions are the modern version of the Solar Auxilia

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back