The Video Game Thread: What are you Playing?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
How are the Darkest Dungeon 2 adventures going, Brock Savage Brock Savage ? I'm considering getting it. Was a big fan of DD1 but ended up a bit tired of it's grindness. Is the Flagelant still around? It's my fave class in DD1.

And if you find Phantom Pain amazing (as I do) take a look at Death Stranding. I'm playing it right now and really liking it.

How are the Darkest Dungeon 2 adventures going, Brock Savage Brock Savage ? I'm considering getting it. Was a big fan of DD1 but ended up a bit tired of it's grindness. Is the Flagelant still around? It's my fave class in DD1.
DD2 is still on my current game rotation along with Stardew Valley. I got really sick so I haven't played much in the past two weeks and am stuck on boss #3. The Flagellant is still around; I have unlocked him but only used him a couple times so far.

The grind in DD1 was absolutely brutal. Thankfully that is not the case for DD2. I think it will be the right game for you.
And if you find Phantom Pain amazing (as I do) take a look at Death Stranding. I'm playing it right now and really liking it.
My wife enjoys Death Stranding. I really wanted to like it; I enjoyed Kojima's message and the hybrid single player/multiplayer experience ("keep on keeping on") but delivering packages just wasn't engrossing enough for me to stick with it. Maybe I will give it another try next year.

sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6sf6

I'm close to getting 100% in World Tour mode and then I'm going to take my monstrosity into Avatar Battles until one day, hopefully, I can actually connect to ranked play.

My character is one-o-them grey aliens with luminescent green eyes and glowing pink circuitry, who goes into battle with naught but a miniskirt. Kinda working on the fighting style, but the general idea is rushdown/grappler with Yoga Teleport. Blanka's electrical attack combos into dragon punch, but I like the way hundred-hand slap looks with my goofy-ass frame.

Of course, once I have everything unlocked and a massive wardrobe, changing styles and character concepts is only 1000 zenny away. Figured that out after my stupid ass deleted an 11 hour save to accomplish... what I could have practically for free.

DD2 is still on my current game rotation along with Stardew Valley. I got really sick so I haven't played much in the past two weeks and am stuck on boss #3. The Flagellant is still around; I have unlocked him but only used him a couple times so far.

The grind in DD1 was absolutely brutal. Thankfully that is not the case for DD2. I think it will be the right game for you.

My wife enjoys Death Stranding. I really wanted to like it; I enjoyed Kojima's message and the hybrid single player/multiplayer experience ("keep on keeping on") but delivering packages just wasn't engrossing enough for me to stick with it. Maybe I will give it another try next year.
About Death Stranding, I've found the simulation aspect of executing the deliveries pretty engaging, you know, planning your loadout and center of gravity, the terrain around, the routes to avoid rivers, mountains and threats, etc. all the while unlocking gadgets through NPCs that makes you gradativelly better at it. But then I'm still midway through the game, it's possible I grow tired of it at some point.

About DD2, thanks for the info. I'll be getting it on first sale.

Stardew Valley is amazing. I've played it with my son. Good times.

Amnesia the bunker is pretty damn good, short but sweet.
I've heard it's Alien Isolation but in Lovecraft clothes. If so, seems cool.

About Death Stranding, I've found the simulation aspect of executing the deliveries pretty engaging, you know, planning your loadout and center of gravity, the terrain around, the routes to avoid rivers, mountains and threats, etc. all the while unlocking gadgets through NPCs that makes you gradativelly better at it. But then I'm still midway through the game, it's possible I grow tired of it at some point.

About DD2, thanks for the info. I'll be getting it on first sale.

Stardew Valley is amazing. I've played it with my son. Good times.

I've heard it's Alien Isolation but in Lovecraft clothes. If so, seems cool.
It's much easier compared to Alien, the beast is not supersmart and is pretty easy to outrun it or defending against it even at higher difficulties, the puker factor is brought by the claustrophobic enviroment, the abbundance of holes from which the beast can come out and kill you and the fact that you are on the clock with keeping the generator running, otherwise the beast will always stay out of the holes and start actively hunting you, pretty tense.

Just finished my first run at Ghosts of Tsushima, including the DLCs, and man, that game is gorgeous. It's the typical Ubisoft game (not made by Ubi but still): big open world map with lots of icons and small bullshit tasks to do, but it has been an absolute pleasure. Fantastic writing and story, great characters and perfect setting and worldbuilding. Will come back again for sure.

Now I've started Far Cry 6, and I'm getting slightly bored because, basically, all the games are exactly the same. Enjoyable, but it's a bit frustrating: all the random chaos that may happen at any moment is super fun, but at the same time you find really difficult to get where you want to get without wasting that much time because some random bullshit.

Now I've started Far Cry 6, and I'm getting slightly bored because, basically, all the games are exactly the same. Enjoyable, but it's a bit frustrating: all the random chaos that may happen at any moment is super fun, but at the same time you find really difficult to get where you want to get without wasting that much time because some random bullshit.
You can simply run past or fly over all the random bullshit if you don't want to deal with it. Get the Parkour outfit and an Avispa buzzer ASAP. Those are the optimal gear and vehicle choices; both are available early in the game and they will see you through to the very end. My wife and I never felt the need to use any other gear or vehicles except for kicks (a few missions require you to use specific vehicles but other than that we wouldn't bother).

1687513126607.pngY

I have some parts of the outfit and got the Wingsuit as well, so I'll likely follow your advice. Far Cry games are the only games were I use a lot the fast travel mechanics, I usually like to "roleplay" the trips in a sort, but there man, it's impossible to drive 100 meters without some rando firing at you, or some bulshit icon or another appearing.

I've definitely burned out on the UbiSoft model. I belatedly tried playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed the early part on the starting island, but once the whole world opened up with all it's icons, it just made feel tired and I stopped playing. The island was a fun little sandbox, but the full map was larger than my capacity to care.

Just finished my first run at Ghosts of Tsushima, including the DLCs, and man, that game is gorgeous. It's the typical Ubisoft game (not made by Ubi but still): big open world map with lots of icons and small bullshit tasks to do, but it has been an absolute pleasure. Fantastic writing and story, great characters and perfect setting and worldbuilding. Will come back again for sure.
Ghost of Tsushima is probably the least bad game in the Ubiworld formula ever. I'm glad I gave it a chance, because it's a real gem.

I've found it a more memorable experience than Elden Ring, and that's coming from a Soulsborne aficionado (and Ubiworld hater lol).

I have some parts of the outfit and got the Wingsuit as well, so I'll likely follow your advice. Far Cry games are the only games were I use a lot the fast travel mechanics, I usually like to "roleplay" the trips in a sort, but there man, it's impossible to drive 100 meters without some rando firing at you, or some bulshit icon or another appearing.
Once you open up more fast travel points and shut down anti-air sites, air dropping via wingsuit will become a preferred method of travelling to missions.

I've definitely burned out on the UbiSoft model. I belatedly tried playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed the early part on the starting island, but once the whole world opened up with all it's icons, it just made feel tired and I stopped playing. The island was a fun little sandbox, but the full map was larger than my capacity to care.
That's how it's been going with me for a while too. There are some that break the mold... but eventually, I burn out on them.

Yeah, same. I really like open world games, but the number of icons and collectibles and and minigames and aaaaahhhh in ubisoft games and similar is just exhausting. Lately I've been really enjoying some open world games that don't put a ton of things on the map (Elden Ring and Outer Wilds, both of which give you very limited information, and almost entirely in an "in character" way). Much more relaxing, and in the absence of quest markers you end up setting your own goals.

Battle Brothers is on a sale and my brother says it's great, but those big heads put me off. Anybody played it around here and has some feedback? Thanks in advance.

My wife just picked up and is currently playing Final Fantasy XVI on the PS5.

The same exact thing happened to me. I enjoyed the game and played it for awhile, but once I saw the scope of it… it was like too much. I kept playing for a bit but lost all momentum, and then one day I just stopped.

I know people want a lot of bang for their buck, but I wish there were more games that had a tight campaign mode and then revolved around additional play modes for the completist type players.

Something I've always wanted to do: as comprehensive a chronicling of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion as I can achieve. I've played the game many, many times and during my video review days I could never find the time to do a complete look at it. So I decided to do a let's play, which gives me an excuse to talk to myself without being looked at funnily. Again.

After that I'll play Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the latter I'm most looking forward to (albeit 3 has my favourite DLC packs).

I kept playing for a bit but lost all momentum, and then one day, I just stopped.

I'll third this sentiment. I enjoyed Assassin's Creed: Valhalla immensely for a solid chunk of hours, but I plowed through so much content, including two of the three DLCs, and I just couldn't move forward. It's like something in my head couldn't process more game.

My last game was Dredge, which was a fun one that takes about twenty hours to do pretty much everything. It's a simple fishing boat simulator with a Lovecraftian twist, and if you're looking for something that doesn't demand much of you, but is still fun to engage with, this might be your game.

Today I played Century: Age of Ashes for the first time and, once I turned off crossplay to get away from the PC cheats, had a great time. It's the kind of world I'd love to roleplay in.

I finally uninstalled Overwatch. Was playing it since it came out (very casually). Had less and less fun playing it. Every single game was either "get effortlessly curb stomped" or "might as well be playing against easy-mode AI".

It was... BORING and just toxic. Felt kind of bad because I had paid for the current season but... BAH there's better things to do with my life.

I finally uninstalled Overwatch. Was playing it since it came out (very casually). Had less and less fun playing it. Every single game was either "get effortlessly curb stomped" or "might as well be playing against easy-mode AI".

It was... BORING and just toxic. Felt kind of bad because I had paid for the current season but... BAH there's better things to do with my life.
You did a good thing. You broke through the sunk cost fallacy.

Battle Brothers is on a sale and my brother says it's great, but those big heads put me off. Anybody played it around here and has some feedback? Thanks in advance.
I have spent more hours than I care to admit playing Battle Brothers.

I found it to be challenging and highly addictive.

The setting - quasi realistic medieval with elements of low dark magic - appeals to me.

The "PCs" are not particularly um.. heroic, although from time to time you might do the right thing providing it doesn't impact the bottom line too greatly.

The game is essentially a series of tactical battles with the skill being at least in part working out which ones you can win.

I too was initially turned off by the heads but if you think of them as chess pieces it makes more sense - the art is in fact rather good.

Anyone who talks tough because of a video game is by defintion a moron.
Well you say that, but I have both got the achievement for winning a battle in Warhammer Total War 3 with odds stacked 10 - 1 against, and am a Member of the Chartered Institute of Housing, for which I had to pass many exams.

How do you like them apples ;) ?

(Also I can spell definition :smile: )

Well you say that, but I have both got the achievement for winning a battle in Warhammer Total War 3 with odds stacked 10 - 1 against, and am a Member of the Chartered Institute of Housing, for which I had to pass many exams.

How do you like them apples ;) ?

(Also I can spell definition :smile: )

Pics or it didn't happen. Also I prefer oranges to apples.

I want to know what the fuck this could possibly be, but I feel like googling it could lead to bad results.
They had missions (challenges) in the Sims - one of them was the Too Many Toddlers challenge. That one had 3 toddlers as a challenge... then as people got good with that, they set 3 to X. I've seen 6 and 7- never 8. I never really played Sims other than enough to understand what my Ex and Daughter were doing so I could talk to them about it, so I don't know more than that.

It's much easier compared to Alien, the beast is not supersmart and is pretty easy to outrun it or defending against it even at higher difficulties, the puker factor is brought by the claustrophobic enviroment, the abbundance of holes from which the beast can come out and kill you and the fact that you are on the clock with keeping the generator running, otherwise the beast will always stay out of the holes and start actively hunting you, pretty tense.
That sounds like some areas in Dying Light. I remember my first run running into a night time zombie- holy shit my adrenaline spiked!

The same exact thing happened to me. I enjoyed the game and played it for awhile, but once I saw the scope of it… it was like too much. I kept playing for a bit but lost all momentum, and then one day I just stopped.
What happens to me is I play for a while and get to a middle point, then something interrupts my play and when I come back to it, I either (a) don't remember what I was doing or (b) have lost the skills and knowledge to play as good as I was when I was intense.

That sounds like some areas in Dying Light. I remember my first run running into a night time zombie- holy shit my adrenaline spiked!
It's actually much harder than Dying light at that point since the monster can one shot you and the small enviroments means that you don't have as much space to manouver.

These days I'm having a blast playing the Medieval 2 Total war Americas campaign.

Last recent game I played was Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous and it's really good. Not as good as the old Infinity Engine games but really good still. Graphics are good, story is cool and the mythic path idea was interesting but it overall suffers (imo) from the Pathfinder system's clunkiness and dialog that, while not bad, is way too verbose and too built up around the alignment system.

For fans of historical strategy games, "Nobunaga's Ambition Awakening" comes out next week, on 20 July. It's main stchick seems to be the fact your officers actually do things on their own this time. They call the concept "living officers". I hope it's good, as the last NA games have been average in my experience.

Edit: that music at 21:16

Last edited:
I'm playing the new Nobunaga Ambition and, oh boy, it's good. I've found the last entries of the series pretty weak sauce, too much on the casual side. But this one is killer. I'm addicted like a 10yo on Mario 64.

New game coming out from the folks who made the excellent Gris.

This looks great. Thanks for bringing it up.

Think I'm addicted to Downwell, need to check out the same designer's new game on Netflix. Digging the arcadey action.

Reportedly he's been hired by Nintendo?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back