What IP/games would you like to see?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
:trigger:

Ha ha, my friend and I once got roped into a Babylon 5 game. Neither of us had ever seen the show. I still have never seen it. The ref said it wouldn't matter. Gave us pregenerated characters and had a railroad all planned. Knowing the show mattered. A lot. We were utterly confused. I got stuck with a gambler and thought, well, okay, on a space station that should be okay. So of course the railroad took us to some nowhere planet fighting some aliens for unknown reasons. And I had zero fighting or survival skills. But I sure could cut a deck of cards! :trigger::trigger:

If you like science-fiction, you should really watch Babylon 5. It's "What if we mash together The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with The Lensmen Saga, and set it on a space station?" The first season can be very dull at times, but some of it also sets up the pay-off in the later seasons.

If you like science-fiction, you should really watch Babylon 5. It's "What if we mash together The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with The Lensmen Saga, and set it on a space station?" The first season can be very dull at times, but some of it also sets up the pay-off in the later seasons.
Thanks, but I'm not a big TV watcher, I can't sit through a whole season waiting for a payoff no matter how good it might be. I'd rather read a few books in that time!

Thanks, but I'm not a big TV watcher, I can't sit through a whole season waiting for a payoff no matter how good it might be. I'd rather read a few books in that time!

I am pretty resistant to series recommendations but this TV series feels a lot more like the experience of reading a good novel or series of novels than a TV show (but it doesn't do the thing a lot of shows today do, where the only point of watching each episode is to get to the next plot beat).

Three times!
IJ1.jpg IJ2.jpg IJ3.jpg
Although maybe the 3rd only counts as half a game since it was a conversion from Master Book to the West End d6 system. I have the first one. It's pretty good. All the tales you've heard to the contrary are likely people repeating what they read online rather than recounting actual experience with the game.

I'm not a fan of Babylon 5 - maybe it's partly that I watched it too late and the 90s effects really came off as dated, maybe it's that watching it on a weekly basis would have been different than binge watching the series in one go, but the pacing seemed really haphazard to me. Maybe I just wasnt interested in Lord of the Rings in space.

But Farscape? Love me some Farscape

I am pretty resistant to series recommendations but this TV series feels a lot more like the experience of reading a good novel or series of novels than a TV show (but it doesn't do the thing a lot of shows today do, where the only point of watching each episode is to get to the next plot beat).
It also doesn't do that thing where you have to check in with each character every week whether anything is going on with them or not simply because they are in the cast that Game of Thrones does. Watching it now, I am surprised at how willing the show is to have even major characters be completely absent for a number of episodes in a row. If a character has no sensible reason so be in an episode, they aren't in it. Meanwhile, Game of Thrones seems to worry that if they don't check in with Dany every week, people will forget she exists. "Yep, she is still doing nothing this week. Thanks for stopping by!"

It's one reason I think a troupe style game would work well for a game using B5 as a model.

View attachment 391 View attachment 392 View attachment 393
Although maybe the 3rd only counts as half a game since it was a conversion from Master Book to the West End d6 system. I have the first one. It's pretty good. All the tales you've heard to the contrary are likely people repeating what they read online rather than recounting actual experience with the game.
During the first summer that the original Indiana Jones RPG was out, I had moved to a new town shortly before the end of the school year, so I only had time to make one friend that was interested in RPGs. We played a lot of Indiana Jones, and it was probably the most fun I had with any RPG up to that point in my life.

At the time, I was aware people were put out by the game not having character generation introduced until a supplement, but I was surprised at the complete scorn for the game when I encountered discussions of it online. Just last year, I got into a discussion where the guy complaining about was wrong about every single rule he was deriding. As you say, I don't think most people complaining about have even read the thing, let alone played it.

I'm not a fan of Babylon 5 - maybe it's partly that I watched it too late and the 90s effects really came off as dated, maybe it's that watching it on a weekly basis would have been different than binge watching the series in one go, but the pacing seemed really haphazard to me. Maybe I just wasnt interested in Lord of the Rings in space.

But Farscape? Love me some Farscape
Farscape and Babylon 5 are the only space-based TV shows that I really love, and they are both utterly different. However, my ideas on how to adapt Farscape to an RPG are similar. I'd steal the concept rather than than just run a game in the same universe (although I'd keep the feel of the setting). Everyone makes a PC that just overthrew and stole a prison ship with mysteries of its own. You can make up your own alien race and your reason you are arrested. Nobody in the group has any prior connection to each other, but you need to work together to survive.

Like B5, I think Farscape takes a little while to truly hit its stride. The beginning of S1 isn't bad, but it doesn't really become special until "Nerve". From that point on, the show had me completely hooked.

And I watching the director's cut of this one tonight.

View attachment 395
I hate to say it, but as much as I love that movie, I really didn't like the director's cut. Some the tightest, best scenes in the movie were ruined. It really felt like they just stuck every bit of available footage in whether it added anything or not. As an example, just compare the artful simplicity of the scene where Boone's body disappears from the morgue in the original to overlong obviousness of the one in the director's cut.

I appreciated getting to see some of the parts were added in, so it isn't completely worthless for Barker completists, but I hate the idea of this version being someone's first experience of the movie or of the original being supplanted by this in distribution.

I saw the original when it came out and have seen it a few times since so this won't be my first time thankfully. I never see a director's cut first, always start with the theatrical cut I say.

I'm rewatching Space 1999 and all things considered it's holding up better than I expected. The casting is interesting and oddly non traditional to me. The elderly scientist comes off as a little bit of an ass kicker. The female doctor is pretty damn unflappable even in the face of death. Secondary characters are allowed to be wallflowers when not doing anything important.
None of those are that odd these days I just was expecting more stereotypical roles.

Okay one more, love the books, haven't read the comics.

View attachment 396
I love the books too, and the comics I've read (is there more than just the one series?) are comparable, in my opinion. I'm not sure how well the concept* would translate to RPGs, though - I think I'll split off a new topic for that.

*The massive multi-crossover concept, not the 'Dracula Wins' one. Speaking of, have you seen Osprey's Dracula's America wargame?

I have all those Kitchen Sink issues, they were so fantastic. Filled to the brim with articles and background info.

I'm not The Spirit needs his own game, though, maybe just a well-done sourcebook to go with The Goon RPG...

Goon_Front_Cover900.jpg

The latest indie-comics-I-never-read batch of Savage Settings — The Sixth Gun, The Goon, Fear Agent — all made me want to read the comics and play in the settings (not sure in which order), on the strength of art and premise alone.

Uno mas con posibilidades...
View attachment 383
"El cantar de mio Cid" y toda la era de la Reconquista, verdaderamente.

I'd Mythras the hell out of it.

Speaking of sf, Long Live the New Flesh! Conspiracy, factions, ultraviolence.

View attachment 394

Great inspiration for an Abyssal incursion in Mage: the Awakening.

And I'm watching the director's cut of this one tonight.

View attachment 395

But then you could say that about any Cronenberg movie, right?

Okay one more, love the books, haven't read the comics.

View attachment 396

I have been meaning to read this forever.

I find the acting pretty good, and for season 1, a solid storyline, the worst are the 70's special effects, though they are also quaint in being non-cgi, and the Eagle models still make me drool. I've done a successful sci-fi campaign in a big ship that is a town in space, similar to Moonbase Alpha, it works well. The players have lots to do.
I love the tape driven computers and tape outputs. I do love that even back then they had this idea of tablets for portable display but the closest they could come to it was hard mounted color printouts. And the door clickers I'm guessing remote garage door openers were high end things back then.

I love the tape driven computers and tape outputs.

Well, as a wise man once stated, "Technology is cyclical."

I love big punchcard computers and printouts like Star Trek had. It's what I picture when I play Traveller. I assume they went back to analogue because of too many viruses.

Well, as a wise man once stated, "Technology is cyclical."

I love big punchcard computers and printouts like Star Trek had. It's what I picture when I play Traveller. I assume they went back to analogue because of too many viruses.
I believe the reason we call computer malfunctions bugs is because a bug shorted a connection in an analog computer.

I realize that's different than a virus but I don't see going back to analog anytime soon.

The latest indie-comics-I-never-read batch of Savage Settings — The Sixth Gun, The Goon, Fear Agent — all made me want to read the comics and play in the settings (not sure in which order), on the strength of art and premise alone.
You know, I soured on SW as a rules set a while back, but damn if some of their recent settings aren't really tempting me back ...

You know, I soured on SW as a rules set a while back, but damn if some of their recent settings aren't really tempting me back ...

I'm still waiting on the ballyhooed Sam Jones Flash Gordon movie game. It's about the only thing other than Pirates of the Spanish Main that could get me to play Savage Worlds' rules.

I believe the reason we call computer malfunctions bugs is because a bug shorted a connection in an analog computer.

I realize that's different than a virus but I don't see going back to analog anytime soon.
I hope you realize that quote is from a sitcom...

But I do like that '60s-'70s sci fi feel when I play Traveller.

That quote was from my electrical engineering professor in the 90's. It may not be true but semi professionally knowledge people at one point repeated it.

You might be surprised, I was having a pint with a Electrical Engineer, and he was talking about designing a power board for a NASA satellite, and it had to be analog without any microcontrollers. The EMR in space shreds digital processors, what is there have to be shielded, and have multiple redundancies. So not totally analog, except some analog as a backup to restart digital systems, or as a redundancy.
I was aware that due to cosmic radiation it's difficult to use anything more advanced than a 486 CPU. Beyond that point the transistor density increases the odds that radiation screws up memory.

However, my ideas on how to adapt Farscape to an RPG are similar. I'd steal the concept rather than than just run a game in the same universe (although I'd keep the feel of the setting). Everyone makes a PC that just overthrew and stole a prison ship with mysteries of its own. You can make up your own alien race and your reason you are arrested.

I far preferred B5 as a show, but I think Farscape is a lot easier to adapt to an RPG. I'm having more trouble imagining why a group of PCs would be adventuring together in B5. The universe is a bit too settled by the great powers with fewer individuals living in the margins. At least, that's the sense I got from the show.

I'm still waiting on the ballyhooed Sam Jones Flash Gordon movie game. It's about the only thing other than Pirates of the Spanish Main that could get me to play Savage Worlds' rules.

Do you mean waiting for the hardcopy to arrive in the mail, or waiting for the PDF to be released? Because the latter has come to pass in case you were unaware - that seems unlike you, but FYI just in case. :smile:

However, my ideas on how to adapt Farscape to an RPG are similar. I'd steal the concept rather than than just run a game in the same universe (although I'd keep the feel of the setting). Everyone makes a PC that just overthrew and stole a prison ship with mysteries of its own. You can make up your own alien race and your reason you are arrested. Nobody in the group has any prior connection to each other, but you need to work together to survive.

Farscape is maybe the only IP I can think of that if I were to adapt it to an RPG, I'd use D&D as the starting point. The progression of the characters, the way they each represent Archetypal classes, is so D&D-esque that I'd be very surprised if it wasnt a specific choice o the part of the writers.

Like B5, I think Farscape takes a little while to truly hit its stride. The beginning of S1 isn't bad, but it doesn't really become special until "Nerve". From that point on, the show had me completely hooked.

Quite definitely. The first half of the 1st season I'd say, the episodes made to sell the series, was way too "recycled Star Trek: TNG." And there were some bombs generally throughout the series. But yeah, the overall plot, starting with the introduction of Scorpius, is some of the finest TV I've ever seen. I mean, not a masterpiece on the level of The Prisoner or the first season of Twin Peaks, but as far as just fun pulpy entertainment? Top notch.

Do you mean waiting for the hardcopy to arrive in the mail, or waiting for the PDF to be released? Because the latter has come to pass in case you were unaware - that seems unlike you, but FYI just in case. :smile:

Waiting for the game to be released for sale to the public. But no, I didn't know they had put out a PDF or anything. All I recall is seeing the announcement a while back (2016?) and then silence as far as my end of things.

It's also apparently somewhat true. Admiral Grace Hopper associated it with finding a moth in the Mark II computer. The term predated that occurrence but I'm not sure how well known that was in the 80's

I played SW for a year or so, but didnt think the mechanics felt great so I ditched it.
Despite this, they consistently have great campaign settings, really pulpy stuff. Worth buying for inspiration or conversion. I'm not surprised they finally have Flash Gordon

How 'bout Logan's Run? Enough there to sustain it's own RPG? I think, with the TV show as background: yes.

And now for the WTF end of the spectrum: Murray Linebarger's "Instrumentality of Mankind" stories. ("I tell you, I must Cranch! It's my worry, isn't it?!")

EDIT: it's Paul Linebarger. My mistake.

Last edited:
Farscape is maybe the only IP I can think of that if I were to adapt it to an RPG, I'd use D&D as the starting point. The progression of the characters, the way they each represent Archetypal classes, is so D&D-esque that I'd be very surprised if it wasnt a specific choice on the part of the writers.

I'd never really thought about it, but it is glaringly obvious now that you mention it. Not everyone has "corebook" D&D class, but they are all concepts that would be easy enough to homebrew into a new one.

Of course, each alien race has their own quirk, and I found it funny that the defining quirk that Crichton provides for humans is constantly making pop culture references.

Quite definitely. The first half of the 1st season I'd say, the episodes made to sell the series, was way too "recycled Star Trek: TNG." And there were some bombs generally throughout the series. But yeah, the overall plot, starting with the introduction of Scorpius, is some of the finest TV I've ever seen. I mean, not a masterpiece on the level of The Prisoner or the first season of Twin Peaks, but as far as just fun pulpy entertainment? Top notch.

I actually enjoyed the first half of season one a lot more on my second viewing. For one thing, the affection for that characters I had built up over my previous viewing made the early episodes more fun. It was also interesting seeing the creative process of the show figuring itself out.

It was a show that never was willing to just play it safe. Once you get past the first season, even the shows bombs are a more a product of the show being willing to experiment than of creative exhaustion. You wouldn't get amazing episodes like "Crackers Don't Matter" is the show wasn't willing to make flawed episodes like "Test of Stone".

I actually like "Test of Stone" more than most people. It reminds me of the weird trend of Australian post-apocalyptic YA novels that I read as a kid.

And now for the WTF end of the spectrum: Murray Linebarger's "Instrumentality of Mankind" stories. ("I tell you, I must Cranch! It's my worry, isn't it?!")
"You are the bravest of the brave, the most skillful of the skilled. All Mankind pays most honor to the Scanner, who unites the Earths of Mankind. Scanners are the protectors of the habermans. They are the judges in the Up-and-Out. They make men live in the place where men need desperately to die. They are the most honored of mankind and even the Chiefs of the Instrumentality are delighted to pay them homage."

Murray? I thought Cordwainer Smith's real name was Paul Linebarger? Or is Murray yet another name of his, like Lin Bai-Lo, the name given to him by his godfather, Sun Yat-Sen?

I remember finding "Scanners Live in Vain" in an anthology when I was in high school and completely failing to find any other fiction by him for years and years. My local library had the 1954 edition of his text book Psychological Warfare, which was an interesting read, and David Pringle's Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels had a tantalizing review of Norstrilia, but it wasn't until all his works were republished in the late '90s that I got my hands on more fiction.

I'd never really thought about it, but it is glaringly obvious now that you mention it. Not everyone has "corebook" D&D class, but they are all concepts that would be easy enough to homebrew into a new one.

I think I mapped it out at one point...Crichton and Aeryn were Fighters, Dargo a barbarian, Zhaan a cleric, Rigel a thief, and Chiana an acrobat. Some of the other later additions dont fit, like Sikozu, Noranti, and Stark, but I figured they were NPCs.

I even thought the third season, when Crichton got split into two, coukld indicate that the players had different schedules so could only meet up for games at differing times, except for the player playing Crichton, so the GM worked it so he could play with both groups.

Of course, each alien race has their own quirk, and I found it funny that the defining quirk that Crichton provides for humans is constantly making pop culture references.

I thought the way other alien species reacted to Crichton was hilarious. It was like every intelligent species in the universe just thought human beings were batshit crazy. And Crichton himself just got crazier over time, as the series took its toll on him.

I actually enjoyed the first half of season one a lot more on my second viewing. For one thing, the affection for that characters I had built up over my previous viewing made the early episodes more fun. It was also interesting seeing the creative process of the show figuring itself out.

The only one I generally skip is the one where Crichton gets stranded on the primitive planet and gets an incredibly fake-looking beard. The rest, as you say, when I'd become more and more invested in the characters, got more enjoyable upon rewatching.

Plus they all set up that wonderful giant pay-off during the bank heist.

"The Flex? What The Frell is the Flex?" still has to be one of the funniest lines ever uttered on TV.

It was a show that never was willing to just play it safe. Once you get past the first season, even the shows bombs are a more a product of the show being willing to experiment than of creative exhaustion. You wouldn't get amazing episodes like "Crackers Don't Matter" is the show wasn't willing to make flawed episodes like "Test of Stone".

I dont remember disliking the Test of Stone episode (that was the Chiani meets the Lost Boys one?), there were a few I thought didnt work, but I still enjoyed them for what they were. You're right, the show was always experimenting, and thats what made it really stand out. It was almost like watching a series of college film projects.

The only one I really dont like to this day was the one where Dargo confronts his wife's brother/killer at the mentat training facility. I dont think Dargo's reactions in that were true to the character at all, and found the resolution of his subplot thoroughly unsatisfying.

Ialso love how the show really built up its mythology too. Crichton casually mentions in an early episode losing his virginity to "Karen Shaw." And then when they go back in time to 80s earth and Chiana meets teenage Crichton...

"whats your name?"
"Chiana"
"what? Karen?"
"Shyeah"

"You are the bravest of the brave, the most skillful of the skilled. All Mankind pays most honor to the Scanner, who unites the Earths of Mankind. Scanners are the protectors of the habermans. They are the judges in the Up-and-Out. They make men live in the place where men need desperately to die. They are the most honored of mankind and even the Chiefs of the Instrumentality are delighted to pay them homage."

Murray? I thought Cordwainer Smith's real name was Paul Linebarger? Or is Murray yet another name of his, like Lin Bai-Lo, the name given to him by his godfather, Sun Yat-Sen?

I remember finding "Scanners Live in Vain" in an anthology when I was in high school and completely failing to find any other fiction by him for years and years. My local library had the 1954 edition of his text book Psychological Warfare, which was an interesting read, and David Pringle's Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels had a tantalizing review of Norstrilia, but it wasn't until all his works were republished in the late '90s that I got my hands on more fiction.

Yes, Paul Linebarger, sorry. Got my wires crossed. (EDIT: I was probably thinking of Murray Leinster), I too read "Scanners Live In Vain" in the 80s when I was in middle school, in the anthology "The World's Greatest Science Fiction Stories, Vol. 1". I had forgotten all about it until a number of years back, when, completely unbidden, the phrase "I must Cranch!" sprang into my head and I started googling and found the story. Incidentally, Volume 2A and later Volume 2B both contained Linebarger stories: "Alpha Ralpha Boulevard" and "The Ballad of Lost C'mell".

"Scanners Live in Vain" would make for a great short sci-fi film, although there'd have to be some exposition as to terms (Cranching, the habermen, the Great Pain of Space etc.)

But yeah, an Instrumentality of Mankind RPG set during the time of the Scanners would be interesting. Massive penalties to some skills when as haberman, but physical attribute bonuses, those penalties (and bonuses) removed when under the Wire, but the danger of Overload omnipresent...

View attachment 334
And no, I do not like Hollow Earth Expedition, mainly the mechanics but also the modern take it used rather than staying true to the pulps, especially in its templates.
Wow! She looks a lot like my girlfriend, albeit younger in the face and less wavy hair.

I'd also like to see material for Pelucidar, just a good source book with maps and fluff, I can provide the rules and crunch.

I love the books too, and the comics I've read (is there more than just the one series?) are comparable, in my opinion. I'm not sure how well the concept* would translate to RPGs, though - I think I'll split off a new topic for that.

*The massive multi-crossover concept, not the 'Dracula Wins' one. Speaking of, have you seen Osprey's Dracula's America wargame?

Those Osprey game supplements look cool. I've yet to read the 60s book in the Anno series but a Vampire Warhol is such a terrific idea.

I'm also a fan of the underrated duo of 80s novels by Barbara Hambly where a former spy in Edwardian England is blackmailed to track down whoever is killing the few remaining vampires in London. Hambly's vampires are creepy and mostly inhuman but not entirely unsympathetic.

1911036.jpg

I think I mapped it out at one point...Crichton and Aeryn were Fighters, Dargo a barbarian, Zhaan a cleric, Rigel a thief, and Chiana an acrobat. Some of the other later additions dont fit, like Sikozu, Noranti, and Stark, but I figured they were NPCs.

I'd probably make Stark a cleric as well, but he is more the type of cleric who is better suited to staying in town and healing adventurers as they pass through. Unfortunately, that isn't how Stark's life worked out. Noranti is a straight-up witch, but yeah, probably an NPC class version. I think the main point of Sikozu is that she is 0-level.

I even thought the third season, when Crichton got split into two, coukld indicate that the players had different schedules so could only meet up for games at differing times, except for the player playing Crichton, so the GM worked it so he could play with both groups.

I'll buy that.

I thought the way other alien species reacted to Crichton was hilarious. It was like every intelligent species in the universe just thought human beings were batshit crazy. And Crichton himself just got crazier over time, as the series took its toll on him.

I love the way the show takes handles Crichton's way in a serious, dramatic way but manages to make it hilarious at times too.

The only one I generally skip is the one where Crichton gets stranded on the primitive planet and gets an incredibly fake-looking beard. The rest, as you say, when I'd become more and more invested in the characters, got more enjoyable upon rewatching.

"Jeremiah Crichton" is the episode. That one really has nothing to recommend it.

Plus they all set up that wonderful giant pay-off during the bank heist.

That show was great at big multi-part conclusions to its seasons. "Liars, Guns and Money" is one I will just pull out to watch as a movie some nights.

"The Flex? What The Frell is the Flex?" still has to be one of the funniest lines ever uttered on TV.

I usually roll my eyes at made-up slang substituting for profanity, but Farscape won me over. Once they gave you time to grasp what all the various profane words meant, they didn't just use them as generic expletives. They began using them to say some of the dirtiest lines ever uttered on commercial television.

I dont remember disliking the Test of Stone episode (that was the Chiani meets the Lost Boys one?), there were a few I thought didnt work, but I still enjoyed them for what they were. You're right, the show was always experimenting, and thats what made it really stand out. It was almost like watching a series of college film projects.

I only singled it out because it is one that gets condemned in every online discussion, alongside "Jeremiah Crichton" and "Coup by Clam". My least favorite episode is probably one that I don't remember. The greatest sin in a show like this is boring me, and the usually leads to me forgetting about it. Of the three I listed, "Jeremiah Crichton" is the only one that bored me.

The only one I really dont like to this day was the one where Dargo confronts his wife's brother/killer at the mentat training facility. I dont think Dargo's reactions in that were true to the character at all, and found the resolution of his subplot thoroughly unsatisfying.

I can barely remember anything about that episode, so by my above criteria, I am going to declare it my least favorite.

Ialso love how the show really built up its mythology too. Crichton casually mentions in an early episode losing his virginity to "Karen Shaw." And then when they go back in time to 80s earth and Chiana meets teenage Crichton...

"whats your name?"
"Chiana"
"what? Karen?"
"Shyeah"

I might have to watch this series all over again.
Yes, Paul Linebarger, sorry. Got my wires crossed. (EDIT: I was probably thinking of Murray Leinster), I too read "Scanners Live In Vain" in the 80s when I was in middle school, in the anthology "The World's Greatest Science Fiction Stories, Vol. 1". I had forgotten all about it until a number of years back, when, completely unbidden, the phrase "I must Cranch!" sprang into my head and I started googling and found the story. Incidentally, Volume 2A and later Volume 2B both contained Linebarger stories: "Alpha Ralpha Boulevard" and "The Ballad of Lost C'mell".

"Scanners Live in Vain" would make for a great short sci-fi film, although there'd have to be some exposition as to terms (Cranching, the habermen, the Great Pain of Space etc.)

But yeah, an Instrumentality of Mankind RPG set during the time of the Scanners would be interesting. Massive penalties to some skills when as haberman, but physical attribute bonuses, those penalties (and bonuses) removed when under the Wire, but the danger of Overload omnipresent...

I'd definitely be interested in a game using the setting. My only concern would be how well the setting evokes things with minimal detail. RPGs thrive on specifics, but if they can make a good RPG out of The Dying Earth, this can be a good RPG as well.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back