Oldhammer Inspiration Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
his end result is what would be a midway point for me, where I would start doing targeted shadows and highlights with a variety of colours depending on what I wanted to emphasize, but he stops at a point that I think a lot of people who just want to get some good looking minis for tabletop use who maybe don't find painting fun, or lack skill/experience/talent or whathaveyou. Grisaille is a very effective technique that honestly I think GW should have promoted over the layering method from the beginning, because it is so utilitarian and beginner friendly.

As to where I'd go with that mini, in particular, I'm fonder of more realistic/grim-y approach to colours, so I would start with targetted washes of the colours, to dull and darken them. Army Painter soft tone ink for the tufts of white fur. I'd probably want to do some softlining as well, and create a few deeper shadows where appropriate to make the lighting more dramatic.

For the skin I'd do a reddish skintone wash and then some targeted very translucent green glazes to give it a more lifelike glow, followed by more extreme glaze highlights (progressive mixed of skintone mixed with greenish white (start with 6 parts skintone, 3 parts white, 1 drop of green wash, then decrease skintone by 1 part while increasing white, applied in thin glazes, slightly reducing the area each time) to show off "The Muscularity!".

Finally, the metallics. Blue tinting for the sword blade, then Valejo true metallic silver for highlights. Reikland Fleshade Gloss for the gold'ish parts. Some small sharp silver highlights just on the sword handle.

Then just deepen the black in the hair, with washes and ink, push a few highlights, and glaze just to give it a "sheen", and I'd want to make the eyes "pop" a bit more as a focal point, so I'd push the shadows and highlights just around them.

All in all, maybe half an hour to an hour's work and it would go from "game piece" to something I'd be happy displaying.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back