Oldhammer Inspiration Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It all speaks to a culture of play that GW utterly turned its back on long ago. I remember when Warhammer was first picking up around here and there were a couple guys who were really nit-picky competitive cut notches on the newbies players. They went to an official tournament and got decent generalship and painting scores that were utterly under cut and destroyed by their poor sportsmanship.

I'm thinking that chaos sorcer has to be using all his power dice just to keep the banner upright. I"m not sure how the painter is doing it. Still, that's one fantastic banner.

I'm thinking that chaos sorcer has to be using all his power dice just to keep the banner upright. I"m not sure how the painter is doing it. Still, that's one fantastic banner.

Those ridiculously massive banners are one of my favourite aspects of the Oldhammer aesthetic, takes me right back to 9 year old me pouring over photos in White Dwarf.

37330425254_060cece738_o.jpg

Richard Orclord Hale
Are those the Blue Moon figures from Old Glory. I ordered a bunch of their Victorians once but didn't get them because one of the tenents in the building my store was in swiped the parcel tag and tried to get them. Very disappointing. One of my wargaming dreams is to build a sloped Victorian city board and run penny farthing races between bobbies and na'er do wells to the Benny Hill chase music.

Are those the Blue Moon figures from Old Glory. I ordered a bunch of their Victorians once but didn't get them because one of the tenents in the building my store was in swiped the parcel tag and tried to get them. Very disappointing.

They are the Citadel CC1 Gothic Horror Line from 1986. I hate how common parcel theft is and how infrequently it's enforced by the law. Interfering with the mail is a felony offense for good reason.

The style is similar to the Blue Moon stuff.https://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BMM-109

Old Glory also has the West Wind ranges.
I went for the OG club card thig at one point about a decade ago and ended up buying a ton of that Blue Moon and Westwind stuff.

It's honestly nicer than what their photos show, though probably not quite as nice as Bob Murch's stuff.

Still a nice way to buff out collections for some generally underserved genres of RPG ad skirmish play.

Full Tilt! Loved that the one time I played it at a convention and further proof the best 'Hammer stuff was usually in the small humble forms like this (along with Brewhouse Bash and Pit Fighter).

I wish I still had the patience and skill to paint a bunch of mini's. These days I'd rather just buy them pre-painted. Having a squad or two of painted skaven mortar maggots err mortar men would be cool to add to my minis.

He reminded me of Roger Waters, in the opening. heh. Now to listen to the rest

Yeah, I can't say I care for his "aged morning radio host" persona, but he calms down and talks like a normal person once he gets into it.

Yeah, I can't say I care for his "aged morning radio host" persona, but he calms down and talks like a normal person once he gets into it.
Yup, I noted that. Listened to a couple since he had some insight that I didn't have on this new stuff and good reference for comparison to the older material, which I appreciated.

p.s: Growing up with Southern California AM/FM radio, I actually appreciated his radio host persona honestly. I know Roger Waters would as well. heh. DJ Paraquat Kelley, Cynthia Fox etc in the morning on KMET in the 1970s were my morning ritual.

Yup, I noted that. Listened to a couple since he had some insight that I didn't have on this new stuff and good reference for comparison to the older material, which I appreciated.

p.s: Growing up with Southern California AM/FM radio, I actually appreciated his radio host persona honestly. I know Roger Waters would as well. heh. DJ Paraquat Kelley, Cynthia Fox etc in the morning on KMET in the 1970s were my morning ritual.
I found myself wondering if he wasn't over-interpreting Stillman's 'paint your army once and never again' stricture. His take seemed to be that this was about a kind of temporal integrity--this is the way I painted at time X. But it seems that it could be simply a question of emphasizing more the tactical side of this hobby. That would also fit with Stillman's idea that you never change your army list. The point is how well you can do with this particular set of troops, etc., not how well you improve the lineup or adapt it to changing conditions. Overall, it made me wonder if Stillman himself might have been happier as a hex-and-chit wargamer.

if Stillman himself might have been happier as a hex-and-chit wargamer.

giphy.gif

Well, all I meant was that the approach seems very close to what you do with a hex-and-chit wargame. When you play a scenario, it's always with the same troops. Napoleon doesn't get any more soldiers or a different makeup of his army at Waterloo however many times you play. The point is to get better at solving the tactical problem and reacting to your opponent's moves, not changing the makeup of your forces. Likewise, you don't spend any time worrying about the aesthetics; you just get down to actual gaming.

Well, all I meant was that the approach seems very close to what you do with a hex-and-chit wargame. When you play a scenario, it's always with the same troops. Napoleon doesn't get any more soldiers or a different makeup of his army at Waterloo however many times you play. The point is to get better at solving the tactical problem and reacting to your opponent's moves, not changing the makeup of your forces. Likewise, you don't spend any time worrying about the aesthetics; you just get down to actual gaming.

It's the last part I think that's important to me. There's nothing quite like two nicely painted armies facing off on a nice board with full terrain.

Stillman was considered an eccentric for his time, but I think why his manifesto has been adopted (if not followed to the letter) so enthusiastically by the Oldhammer community, despite it technically coming from the Middlehammer era, is that it reflects the more narrative wargaming (which means something different in Wargaming parlance than it does in RPG theory) approach of 3rd edition and rejects the "tournament culture" that 4th edition onwards fostered.

I addressed it myself in a recent blog post where I proposed my alternative ("Tristramania"): https://pariedolia.weebly.com/nimh/the-great-skaven-army-project-redux

The disappearance of narrative gaming in favor of tournament gaming was a sad development, despite how very many tournaments I've played in. I'd much rather play in a three month-long narrative campaign with a map than a series of winner take all tournaments.

I'm sad I never picked up a set of the old lizard man glyph plates they had. I wanted to make a rubber mold out of them so I could cast them repeatedly for my non warhammer projects

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back