Oldhammer Inspiration Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I'm a lifelong glasses wearer whose lenses are getting thicker by the year, but luckily I am near-sighted (a probable consequence of a childhood often spent huddled in dark places reading). Regardless, what I found really made painting minis much more enjoyable and easier was one of these:

View attachment 75180View attachment 75181

That's a pretty deluxe one, which I only have because it was a generous X-mas present, but there are lots of basic options in the more sensible under $50 range. It's like glasses for my glasses.
My problem is a little more subtle/frustrating than simple magnification. A couple of years ago, I started having trouble with my eyes focusing at close distances. Basically if I hold anything at about the distance I'd need to paint miniatures (say closer than a foot in front of my face) my eyes start to "slip" in focus. One angles slightly upwards, so I get double vision. Subtle enough that it doesn't hamper me in most things, but when trying to paint a miniature, I have trouble with it. Notably trouble with the distance at that small range, so sometimes I overshoot and smoosh the brush into the figure.

I did get a set of magnifying eyeglasses (not as fancy as the ones above, but cheap 3x magnification reading glasses to test out) and still had the same problem.

That being said, I've been considering getting one of those free-standing magnifying lamp sorts of things, to see if that would work. I theorize that that way I could hold the figure a little further away, and I'd be focusing on the magnified version of it as well. Going to grab one of those in the near future, and pick up a couple of minis to give it a try. If I sort it out, I'll post the results.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back