New Member Introductions

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
It's nice to see a new influx of people. Welcome to all of you.

Came here from theRPGsite where, like all forums, I'm more of a lurker than a poster. If you ever saw anyone talking up Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game on an RPG forum, there's like a 30% chance it was me. Took a browse around here, enjoyed some Tristram PHASERIP talk and various other RPG chattin' goin' on, thought I'd make an account. Been playing this and that since around '91 or so.

Last edited:
Came here from theRPGsite where, like all forums, I'm more of a lurker than a poster. If you ever saw anyone talking up Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game on an RPG forum, there's like a 30% chance it was me. Took a browse around here, enjoyed some Tristram PHASERIP talk and various other RPG chattin' goin' on, thought I'd make an account. Been playing this and that since around '91 or so.
I don't think we have found any game obscure enough that is can't support a modest discussion here. Welcome to the Pub, SavAce.

Welcome aboard, SavAce!

I myself am also a fan of Street Fighter: The Storytelling Game!

I'm holding you to that. :grin:
Hah, I may actually do so on Wednesday then (gaming tomorrow).

As a warning, I recommend the game in very specific circumstances. Only play it with either a) someone you are having sex with or b) someone you are hoping to have sex with.

Well I held off on making any more posts because I was on my phone (1st smart phone of my life brand new) and I wanted to say something and I wanted to do it right. That being an honest thank you from the bottom of my heart for welcoming me.
I know I have knocked heads in the past with some of you but to be honest there's not A single person in this thread that I have talked with that I don't personally like so again thank you.

Also welcome to the newposters who have joined since my last post.

Welcome to all the new faces here! It’s good to have more people added to our fun community.

Maybe I should make a post in this thread as well. :smile:

I have been shopping around for a while for a forum in English about roleplaying games in general, and I think RPG PUB might be what I'm looking for. Considering I like the Swedish RPG Noir, and on some sites even trying to have a talk about something like Exalted 2.x tend to be volatile, it has been a bit frustrating.

Considering I prefer Exploratism rather than Escapism, and my interest is more toward verisimilitude and Culture Gaming with a "method actor" focus, I tend to be in a niche within a niche within a niche.

I do talk about RPGs on a Swedish site, but considering there are about 10 million Swedish speaking people in total around the world, I'm looking for more people to bounce things with.

I have been shopping around for a while for a forum in English about roleplaying games in general, and I think RPG PUB might be what I'm looking for. Considering I like the Swedish RPG Noir, and on some sites even trying to have a talk about something like Exalted 2.x tend to be volatile, it has been a bit frustrating.

Considering I prefer Exploratism rather than Escapism, and my interest is more toward verisimilitude and Culture Gaming with a "method actor" focus, I tend to be in a niche within a niche within a niche.

I do talk about RPGs on a Swedish site, but considering there are about 10 million Swedish speaking people in total around the world, I'm looking for more people to bounce things with.

You are welcome to hang out here. I play Swedish games translated to English like Mutant Year Zero.

I hope Noir gets translated to English. It looks interesting.

If you don't mind what does the following mean in regards to tabletop RPGs? I don't know the terms. I usually just pretend to be a dragon and try to kill my friends' pretend elf and humans so these ideas make me curious.
Exploratism rather than Escapism, and my interest is more toward verisimilitude and Culture Gaming with a "method actor" focus

Welcome to the Pub, Lundgren. I'd like to think I speak for the whole forum when I say that I'm always happy to have someone bringing a new nichey voice here. I can't say a fully understand your description of your taste in gaming, but I look forward to hearing more about it.

I hope Noir gets translated to English. It looks interesting.
As the site indicates, there were plans to translate it when they created the game. Those plans unfortunately were put on hold, but they are at least not dead yet.

Perhaps I should do a Where I Read thread for it. If nothing else, it probably would be useful to point people toward it if I ever want to recruit for a Noir game held in English.

If you don't mind what does the following mean in regards to tabletop RPGs? I don't know the terms. I usually just pretend to be a dragon and try to kill my friends' pretend elf and humans so these ideas make me curious.
Exploratism rather than Escapism, and my interest is more toward verisimilitude and Culture Gaming with a "method actor" focus
Sure :smile:

Exploratism is just my own name on the opposite of Escapism. RPGs are not a source of ignoring life for a while for me, but a way to explore other mindsets and ideas. While there is a risk of Exploratism and Escapism clashes, it is just as likely that two different Escapist players will clash with each other; for example because one want to not think about it so it should not exist in the setting, while the other want it to be ripe and present but able to kick their butts.

Verisimilitude is just that I want the setting to have a feeling of internal logic. Things like Rule of Cool or Speed of Plot is anathema, unless it is well hidden in a plausible layer of bullshit. :grin: I also tend to go for more simulationistic systems, even if I just tend to approximate them at best. Now, it can be "internal logic" for settings with Warp speed, or people that can jump over a mountain.

Culture Gaming is focus on how the societies and cultures actually work. How do they dress, what do they eat, how do they eat, how do they address each other, what is expected and what is taboo, etc. The game can still have monster killings and treasure hunting, but it isn't necessary and it wouldn't be the focus.

Method Acting have I picked from the The GMs Fieldguide to Players. When I am a player I want to step into the characters clothes, see the game world through their eyes, and make the decisions from my character's values and biases.

These tend to go well together with Fishtank driven sandboxes. Each NPC (fish) has their own agenda and resources, and the player characters are just a few more fishes in the water. The story/adventure emerges as the fishes start to act and finds out their agendas clashes.

I hope that made sense. I'm happy to talk more about it, but I guess that should be in another thread :smile:

As the site indicates, there were plans to translate it when they created the game. Those plans unfortunately were put on hold, but they are at least not dead yet.

Perhaps I should do a Where I Read thread for it. If nothing else, it probably would be useful to point people toward it if I ever want to recruit for a Noir game held in English.

Sure :smile:

Exploratism is just my own name on the opposite of Escapism. RPGs are not a source of ignoring life for a while for me, but a way to explore other mindsets and ideas. While there is a risk of Exploratism and Escapism clashes, it is just as likely that two different Escapist players will clash with each other; for example because one want to not think about it so it should not exist in the setting, while the other want it to be ripe and present but able to kick their butts.

Verisimilitude is just that I want the setting to have a feeling of internal logic. Things like Rule of Cool or Speed of Plot is anathema, unless it is well hidden in a plausible layer of bullshit. :grin: I also tend to go for more simulationistic systems, even if I just tend to approximate them at best. Now, it can be "internal logic" for settings with Warp speed, or people that can jump over a mountain.

Culture Gaming is focus on how the societies and cultures actually work. How do they dress, what do they eat, how do they eat, how do they address each other, what is expected and what is taboo, etc. The game can still have monster killings and treasure hunting, but it isn't necessary and it wouldn't be the focus.

Method Acting have I picked from the The GMs Fieldguide to Players. When I am a player I want to step into the characters clothes, see the game world through their eyes, and make the decisions from my character's values and biases.

These tend to go well together with Fishtank driven sandboxes. Each NPC (fish) has their own agenda and resources, and the player characters are just a few more fishes in the water. The story/adventure emerges as the fishes start to act and finds out their agendas clashes.

I hope that made sense. I'm happy to talk more about it, but I guess that should be in another thread :smile:

That actually makes sense to me. I may yank all that to explain me because our styles are very similar I think. I do like Culture Gaming but I'm not going to lie, a really great dungeon (like the one I'm running for Warhammer) really makes me smile as well.

As to fishtank driven sandboxes we have another discussion going on around here about improvising that you might want to chime in on:
https://rpgpub.com/threads/improvising-and-randomizing.1397/

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back