The Pub in 2023: Feedback Welcome!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
The new year is rapidly approaching. We’ve had a great 2022 at the Pub. Many, many new members have signed up and we’ve had some great discussions over the months on many diverse topics. I thank you all for your patronage.

This is the time where I’d like to request feedback, suggestions or any other insights into how we improve for the future. This can include anything from how the forum is arranged, to how we do as a staff, to any other improvements we can make. I value everyone’s input so don’t be shy.

One of the things I’m planning on doing is adding two moderators next year to help with the main RPG forum. That will be future addressed in a future thread. If you are interested, keep an eye out for that.

Honestly I don't know how or why, but I find the sense of fun and community at the Pub over the past year been better than ever. We've had some rough patches in the not too distant past, disagreement on whatever subject turning personal and ugly. I had my concerns about the Pub future. But somehow the genie was put back in bottle and, from where I am standing, we have enjoyed a very long, good spell.

So all I can say is, keep doing what you are doing!

So jokes aside, I'm actually not sure where I mean more. I can and have done moderation stuff, but at the same time, not being a moderator allows me to fuck about quite a bit. Decision decisions. :grin: (Not that it's my decision...)

So jokes aside, I'm actually not sure where I mean more. I can and have done moderation stuff, but at the same time, not being a moderator allows me to fuck about quite a bit. Decision decisions. :grin: (Not that it's my decision...)
I have in the distant past volunteered to be a mod but like you I am torn. Not being a mod comes with a wonderful lack of responsibility. But the power!! So tempting! Wana team up and overthrow them?

Honestly I don't know how or why, but I find the sense of fun and community at the Pub over the past year been better than ever. We've had some rough patches in the not too distant past, disagreement on whatever subject turning personal and ugly. I had my concerns about the Pub future. But somehow the genie was put back in bottle and, from where I am standing, we have enjoyed a very long, good spell.

So all I can say is, keep doing what you are doing!

What he said. This place is awesome, so don't fuck anything up too badly! Just make sure Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl is ok, and continues to post at a high rate. I've missed her the last few days :-(

I'd volunteer to mod mostly cos I like that feeling of power you get from wearing lacy lingerie under your work clothes like to feel I'm doing my bit to help out. Against geese. (Yeah, geese. Talk about geese. Not lingerie. Good catch Dave, almost let that one slip out. Phew).

I'd volunteer to mod mostly cos I like that feeling of power you get from wearing lacy lingerie under your work clothes like to feel I'm doing my bit to help out. Against geese. (Yeah, geese. Talk about geese. Not lingerie. Good catch Dave, almost let that one slip out. Phew).
No one that uses parentheses and strike through like that should ever mod. Just saying. :grin:

Hmm tough to say. It would be great if the tagging system was more obvious somehow, but that’s just me. Maybe I should start using it better. I dunno.

Would it be a good idea to have game system-specific mega threads? Mythras, D&D, Traveller, PbtA, 2d20

Otherwise the forum is great as it is. As it’s always been seen the very beginning. I was THERE! I saw it, Gandalf.

Ooh I know that I’m flaky with these things, but it would be cool to do quarterly Pub community contributed dungeon modules.

Like, everyone posts monsters, encounters, art, writing… whatever. And we compile them and put them on DrivethruRPG’s store and use any money as donations of some sort?

I would love to help organize this… with the site admin and mod blessings…

Honestly, offhand I can't immediately think of something to add, that's not a bad thing it just feels like this place has most of the important things I like. I'll think about it some more and see if I can come up with something.

Hmm even though I’ve been on this forum since the start, and I’m on here everyday, I don’t think I’m cool-headed enough to be a moderator here, honestly. I would gladly apply, but, eh, I think there are others who are more chill than I here who would be a better fit.

I haven't been here long enough to apply and I'm not sure I'd want the job. I like to think I've got a level head, I don't have any grudges or personal dislike for anyone here, and I grok the "no politics" rule pretty well. What I don't have is the gift of the gab- the other mods seem to be able to effortlessly rattle off a bunch of paragraphs of clear, respectful, and informative text explaining mod decisions and why the Pub is the way it is. For me writing well is like pulling teeth. Maybe next time there's a call for new mods I'll throw my dunce cap in the ring but who knows? I do know that whoever gets selected this time around will do a fine job.

thebigh thebigh if you are really interested, you can throw your cap into the ring. The year long requirement is a loose guideline. I want to make sure those who apply have been here long enough to know what the Pub is all about.

The gift of gab is just being able to make “modspeak” understandable to everyone here. The staff here all have various levels of writing ability. I tend to be very brief because I don’t believe I write well either. Being able to make correct mod calls is far more important than being able to write well.

I haven't been here long enough to apply and I'm not sure I'd want the job. I like to think I've got a level head, I don't have any grudges or personal dislike for anyone here, and I grok the "no politics" rule pretty well. What I don't have is the gift of the gab- the other mods seem to be able to effortlessly rattle off a bunch of paragraphs of clear, respectful, and informative text explaining mod decisions and why the Pub is the way it is. For me writing well is like pulling teeth. Maybe next time there's a call for new mods I'll throw my dunce cap in the ring but who knows? I do know that whoever gets selected this time around will do a fine job.
I'd say that several of the mods, myself included, come from various backgrounds that make us gobshites. That doesn't mean that being a gobshite is a necessary qualification for moddom and in fact a variety of perspectives is generally a good thing.

if you are really interested, you can throw your cap into the ring.

I'm not sure I want the responsibility or the power, I just want to do what I can to keep the Pub the way it is. Anyway, there's already two amazing and deserving candidates so for now I think I'll keep my hat on my head. Maybe I'll volunteer next time.

I am a recent arrival but the place seems fine so far.
Just avoid going far-right insane, or white-guilt insane ala. ‘the current state of woke’ and you should be fine.
Indeed, it’s not the content of political discussion that broke other places, but the process and instrumentality of this through moderation, that did and does.

I am all for a wide-range of opinions, but if rhetorical knife-fighting without any outcome other than user polarisation is the result?
I do start to understand why the ‘no politics’ has been a thing in the US for some time now.

It’s your place ultimately, but if you keep discussions focussed on actual gaming in its varying forms, and some media to an extend, that should steady the course.

Just make sure Tulpa Girl Tulpa Girl is ok, and continues to post at a high rate. I've missed her the last few days :-(

Appreciate the thought. It's been a rough week - work is getting a little hectic as we approach the holidays, been dealing with a bit of back pain, and worse of all an acquaintance (a relative of one of our gaming group) may be slipping back into drug addiction.

Appreciate the thought. It's been a rough week - work is getting a little hectic as we approach the holidays, been dealing with a bit of back pain, and worse of all an acquaintance (a relative of one of our gaming group) may be slipping back into drug addiction.

Sorry to hear about your friend, those are tough situations to try and help with. Beyond that, glad you're ok :-)

I am a recent arrival but the place seems fine so far.
Just avoid going far-right insane, or white-guilt insane ala. ‘the current state of woke’ and you should be fine.
Indeed, it’s not the content of political discussion that broke other places, but the process and instrumentality of this through moderation, that did and does.

I am all for a wide-range of opinions, but if rhetorical knife-fighting without any outcome other than user polarisation is the result?
I do start to understand why the ‘no politics’ has been a thing in the US for some time now.

It’s your place ultimately, but if you keep discussions focussed on actual gaming in its varying forms, and some media to an extend, that should steady the course.

Wait, we're supposed to talk about gaming here?

That stuff is easy enough to spot. More insidious is rhetoric like, "If you're not talking about my pet issue, you must be OK with the status quo, and that's a political position in itself."

It's nonsense of course, but you have to stay on guard against it.

That stuff is easy enough to spot. More insidious is rhetoric like, "If you're not talking about my pet issue, you must be OK with the status quo, and that's a political position in itself."

It's nonsense of course, but you have to stay on guard against it.
I would go on about how a lot of ’politics’ these days resembles the outpourings of mind control (in that classical sense of the cult), but this is totally not the thread for it.

I do think we should avoid discussing the existence of Bigfoot– I do remember how heavy-footed that has gotten in the past!

[.mod]Can you two quit talking politically about how yo're not talking about politics now please. :p[/mod]

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back